CSS positioning Question

theo

I have a question about css layout. Someone earlier told me to get rid of
absolute positioning, and so I've made a page with a container div, and then
divs inside of that, with really no positioning at all. I need some
direction here. For some reason, applying border attributes causes the page
to add 20 pixels to the top of the header section, throws everything off.
With ie being the problem, and not netscape/mozilla. With 6 or 7 boxes like
this, what is the best choice for trouble-free positioning?
HELP?

here's the page:
http://wholives.com/temp/css-new.html
css is within
theo

theo

It's just that I cannot find what's
causing the top 2 header divs to throw the whole page 20px down in IE 6. Any
clues?> thanks,> theo
I went into the code, and put visible margin around the top header divs, and
now everything is straight. Problem is, is that I do not want margins on the
top header divs. ???????

theo

rf

theo said:
I went into the code, and put visible margin around the top header divs, and
now everything is straight. Problem is, is that I do not want margins on the
top header divs. ???????

Standard bug in IE. Sometimes positioning is stuffed up unless you specify a
margin (one of the many problems with the IE box model).

The workaround is to specify a margin. If you don't want that margin to be
visible then make it the same colour as the background.

Els

rf said:
If you don't want
that margin to be visible then make it the same colour as
the background.

I think the margin always is the colour of the background (of
the element 'behind' it) -- how to specify the colour of a
margin? ;-)

rf

Els said:
I think the margin always is the colour of the background (of
the element 'behind' it) -- how to specify the colour of a
margin? ;-)

Ah, oops. Thankyou Els for finding my intentional mistake :)

Of course I meant border, not margin.

Applying a border to the offending div (the same colour as the background)
also fixes the IE bug.

theo

Applying a border to the offending div (the same colour as the background)
also fixes the IE bug.

I noticed this yesterday, that it seemed to be a bug. The other big
problem I'm having is line-height in text. IE and Netscape have about 50px
difference in location of text. Any work-arounds here?
Thanks, so much.
theo