css positioning question

Knut Krueger

Hi to all,
I have a problem at this page:
http://uni-regensburg.equine-behaviour.de/index.php?cooperation.php

There is a big empty space after
*Kooperationen mit* and the rest of the page
maybe anybody could give me a hint to prevent this space

Regards Knut
The CSS definitons of this container:

#content {
margin-left: 15em;
margin-right: 5em;
white-space:normal;
allign:top;}

..raggedLeft {
display: block;
float: left;

margin: .5em .5em .5em .5em ;
}

..raggedMiddle {
display: block;
float: middle;

margin: .5em .5em .5em .5em ;
}

..raggedRight {
display: block;
float: right;
clear: right;
margin: .5em .5em .5em .5em ;
}

..maxplank {
vertical-align:top;
display: block;
float: left;
clear: left;
margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
width:25em;
}
..muenster {
vertical-align:top;
display: block;
float: right;
clear: right;
margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
width:25em;
}
..wien {
vertical-align:top;
display: block;
float: left;
clear: left;
margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
width:25em;
}

..lpv {
display: block;
float: right;
clear: right;
margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
width:25em;
}

..nuernberg {
display: block;
float: left;
clear: left;
margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
width:25em;

Els

Knut said:
Hi to all,
I have a problem at this page:
http://uni-regensburg.equine-behaviour.de/index.php?cooperation.php

There is a big empty space after
*Kooperationen mit* and the rest of the page
maybe anybody could give me a hint to prevent this space

[snip]
allign:top;}

"allign" is spelled wrong: align has only one 'l'.
Also it's not a valid property, you probably meant 'vertical-align'.
float: middle;

float:middle; ?? where did you find that one?

In your other stylesheet, you have PHP, but the stylesheet is not
parsed as PHP, so it results in invalid stylesheet content.

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ may help with the discovery of
mistakes like that.

Now, your empty space:
.maxplank {
vertical-align:top;
display: block;
float: left;
clear: left;

There is your culprit. You cleared the left-floated sidebar, meaning
that div.maxplank will stay below the bottom of div#sidebar.

(this also goes for div.wien and div.nuernberg, but they are already
below sidebar level, so you don't notice)

Knut Krueger

Els said:
"allign" is spelled wrong: align has only one 'l'.
Also it's not a valid property, you probably meantalign

changed to vertical-align
float: middle;

float:middle; ?? where did you find that one?

don`t know ... may be long after midnight in my brain ....,
but it was not used - deleted
In your other stylesheet, you have PHP, but the stylesheet is not
parsed as PHP, so it results in invalid stylesheet content.

It seems that is interpreted by php, because the style sheets are
working, different depending on the browser.
It is included in a php page, but I do not know why the validator does
nor recognize it.
I will look for that, what`s wrong - its an old code and I am using it a
long time ....
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ may help with the discovery of
mistakes like that.

Thank you did not know that, I am was using the html validator but not
css validator
Now, your empty space:
thx it`s working

Regards Knut

Els

Knut said:
Ok .. it is working just like I want ... but is there a possibility to
set the clear option only for the current container?

Yes, by floating that container itself, but that has the disadvantage
of losing your flexible width. In your case though, I would think (not
tested), that clearing all those floats to the right only, would have
the desired effect, since you have no floated sidebar on the right.
Or other question is this now the best way to display the page?
means the container content
http://uni-regensburg.equine-behaviour.de/index.php?cooperation.php

Not sure what you mean by 'the best way to display the page'?