css positioning question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Knut Krueger, Nov 17, 2006.

  1. Knut Krueger

    Knut Krueger Guest

    Hi to all,
    I have a problem at this page:
    http://uni-regensburg.equine-behaviour.de/index.php?cooperation.php

    There is a big empty space after
    *Kooperationen mit* and the rest of the page
    maybe anybody could give me a hint to prevent this space

    Regards Knut
    The CSS definitons of this container:

    #content {
    margin-left: 15em;
    margin-right: 5em;
    white-space:normal;
    allign:top;}

    ..raggedLeft {
    display: block;
    float: left;

    margin: .5em .5em .5em .5em ;
    }

    ..raggedMiddle {
    display: block;
    float: middle;

    margin: .5em .5em .5em .5em ;
    }

    ..raggedRight {
    display: block;
    float: right;
    clear: right;
    margin: .5em .5em .5em .5em ;
    }

    ..maxplank {
    vertical-align:top;
    display: block;
    float: left;
    clear: left;
    margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
    width:25em;
    }
    ..muenster {
    vertical-align:top;
    display: block;
    float: right;
    clear: right;
    margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
    width:25em;
    }
    ..wien {
    vertical-align:top;
    display: block;
    float: left;
    clear: left;
    margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
    width:25em;
    }

    ..lpv {
    display: block;
    float: right;
    clear: right;
    margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
    width:25em;
    }

    ..nuernberg {
    display: block;
    float: left;
    clear: left;
    margin: 2em 2em 2em 2em;
    width:25em;
    }

    Knut Krueger, Nov 17, 2006

  2. Knut Krueger

    Els Guest

    Knut Krueger wrote:

    > Hi to all,
    > I have a problem at this page:
    > http://uni-regensburg.equine-behaviour.de/index.php?cooperation.php
    >
    > There is a big empty space after
    > *Kooperationen mit* and the rest of the page
    > maybe anybody could give me a hint to prevent this space

    [snip]

    > allign:top;}

    "allign" is spelled wrong: align has only one 'l'.
    Also it's not a valid property, you probably meant 'vertical-align'.

    > float: middle;

    float:middle; ?? where did you find that one?

    In your other stylesheet, you have PHP, but the stylesheet is not
    parsed as PHP, so it results in invalid stylesheet content.

    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ may help with the discovery of
    mistakes like that.

    Now, your empty space:

    > .maxplank {
    > vertical-align:top;
    > display: block;
    > float: left;
    > clear: left;

    There is your culprit. You cleared the left-floated sidebar, meaning
    that div.maxplank will stay below the bottom of div#sidebar.

    (this also goes for div.wien and div.nuernberg, but they are already
    below sidebar level, so you don't notice)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Now playing: AC/DC - Thunderstruck

    Els, Nov 17, 2006

  3. Knut Krueger

    Knut Krueger Guest

    Els schrieb:

    >> allign:top;}

    > "allign" is spelled wrong: align has only one 'l'.
    > Also it's not a valid property, you probably meantalign

    changed to vertical-align

    > float: middle;
    >
    > float:middle; ?? where did you find that one?

    don`t know ... may be long after midnight in my brain ....,
    but it was not used - deleted

    > In your other stylesheet, you have PHP, but the stylesheet is not
    > parsed as PHP, so it results in invalid stylesheet content.

    It seems that is interpreted by php, because the style sheets are
    working, different depending on the browser.
    It is included in a php page, but I do not know why the validator does
    nor recognize it.
    I will look for that, what`s wrong - its an old code and I am using it a
    long time ....

    > http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ may help with the discovery of
    > mistakes like that.

    Thank you did not know that, I am was using the html validator but not
    css validator

    > Now, your empty space:

    thx it`s working

    Regards Knut

    Knut Krueger, Nov 17, 2006
  4. Knut Krueger

    Knut Krueger Guest

    Els schrieb:
    > ... You cleared the left-floated sidebar, meaning
    > that div.maxplank will stay below the bottom of div#sidebar.

    Ok .. it is working just like I want ... but is there a possibility to
    set the clear option only for the current container?

    Or other question is this now the best way to display the page?
    means the container content

    Knut Krueger, Nov 17, 2006
  5. Knut Krueger

    Els Guest

    Knut Krueger wrote:

    > Els schrieb:
    >> ... You cleared the left-floated sidebar, meaning
    >> that div.maxplank will stay below the bottom of div#sidebar.
    >>

    > Ok .. it is working just like I want ... but is there a possibility to
    > set the clear option only for the current container?

    Yes, by floating that container itself, but that has the disadvantage
    of losing your flexible width. In your case though, I would think (not
    tested), that clearing all those floats to the right only, would have
    the desired effect, since you have no floated sidebar on the right.

    > Or other question is this now the best way to display the page?
    > means the container content
    > http://uni-regensburg.equine-behaviour.de/index.php?cooperation.php

    Not sure what you mean by 'the best way to display the page'?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Nov 17, 2006