    going to be a pain.
    Is there an inline html tag that I can set the width and height on other
    than <div> that I should be using? I tried <span> and that failed.

    Daryl, Nov 28, 2006

  2. Daryl

    mbstevens Guest

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:40:54 -0500, Daryl wrote:

    > I want an 800px content section of my webpage always centered no matter the
    > viewer's window size.

    What happens if I'm doing more than one thing on my desktop and have my
    browser window set to 650 px wide? Will I have to do a horizontal scroll
    to read each line of text?

    mbstevens, Nov 28, 2006

  3. "mbstevens" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:40:54 -0500, Daryl wrote:
    >
    >> I want an 800px content section of my webpage always centered no matter
    >> the
    >> viewer's window size.

    > What happens if I'm doing more than one thing on my desktop and have my
    > browser window set to 650 px wide? Will I have to do a horizontal scroll
    > to read each line of text?

    But if they use %ge width then IE6 bugs limit what he can do in the div.

    +e

    The Eclectic Electric, Nov 28, 2006
  4. Daryl

    Daryl Guest

    Your window will display the left most content and you would have to scroll
    to the right to view the rest. Im not concerned about that. That is pretty
    typical of all web pages.

    Daryl, Nov 28, 2006
  5. Daryl

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Daryl" <>
    vouchsafed:

    >> What happens if I'm doing more than one thing on my desktop and have
    >> my browser window set to 650 px wide? Will I have to do a horizontal
    >> scroll to read each line of text?

    > Your window will display the left most content and you would have to
    > scroll to the right to view the rest. Im not concerned about that.
    > That is pretty typical of all web pages.

    Au contraire, mon ami. Today's "typical" web page is fluid and text flows
    with the size of the matte. However, yes, a certain minority percentage is
    archeolithic.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.

    Neredbojias, Nov 28, 2006
  6. Daryl

    mbstevens Guest

    mbstevens, Nov 28, 2006
  7. Daryl wrote:
    > Your window will display the left most content and you would have to scroll
    > to the right to view the rest. Im not concerned about that. That is pretty
    > typical of all web pages.

    Not well designed ones.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 28, 2006
  8. Daryl

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:
    > To further the education of mankind, "Daryl" <>
    > vouchsafed:
    >
    >>> What happens if I'm doing more than one thing on my desktop and have
    >>> my browser window set to 650 px wide? Will I have to do a horizontal
    >>> scroll to read each line of text?

    >> Your window will display the left most content and you would have to
    >> scroll to the right to view the rest. Im not concerned about that.
    >> That is pretty typical of all web pages.

    > Au contraire, mon ami. Today's "typical" web page is fluid and text flows
    > with the size of the matte. However, yes, a certain minority percentage is
    > archeolithic.

    That's a rather subjective view of "typical". There is no concrete right
    or wrong when it comes to fixed-width vs. fluid.

    http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200611/resolution_vs_browser_size_vs_fixed_or_adaptive_width/

    That said, the willingness of the OP to allow horizontal scrolling for a
    user running a maximized browser at 800x600 is a bit disconcerting.

    Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/

    Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
    the dreams...

    Kevin Scholl, Nov 28, 2006
  9. Daryl

    Daryl Guest

    How crappy webpages must look when their content and images are smooshed
    down in a "fluid" manner to a window size much smaller 700px, not to mention
    when a portion of the display is likely to be taken up by the typical left
    navigation column....

    This is not a sacrafice im willing to make, my content all distorted.
    Especially given the amount of traffic the page will receive, very minimal.

    Im still looking for help if there is any available apart from the
    criticism.

    Daryl, Nov 28, 2006
  10. Daryl

    Daryl Guest

    With my content at 800x600 i expect very little scrolling required. I
    actually expect the adjust final width to round off at 790 or so so a
    maximized window on an 800x600 screen setting should not require scroll.

    Daryl, Nov 28, 2006
  11. Daryl

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Daryl" <> wrote:

    > Im still looking for help if there is any available apart from the
    > criticism.

    Your original question:

    > http://www.dreamscape.com/lyradf/index2.htm
    > The top two sections are dandy. Its all the other ones to follow that are
    > going to be a pain.
    > Is there an inline html tag that I can set the width and height on other
    > than <div> that I should be using?

    Why are you saying other than div? A standard way to centre stuff
    is to wrap in a div that is then centred by things like
    div#wrapper {width:800px;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;}

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 29, 2006
  12. Daryl

    Daryl Guest

    This link is a perfect example of my rebuttals to the critics. It stays
    fluid as the window size decreases but at some point it realizes how
    ridiculous the content will look and it begins to require h-scroll.

    Daryl, Nov 29, 2006
  13. Daryl

    Daryl Guest

    I tried the auto margin left and right. IE6 doesn't handle this correctly.
    Not when I tested it anyway. The problem with the div tag is that it
    assumes a break between sections and stacks them. It doesn't keep them as
    inline items. Otherwise, I never would have had to ask for advise.

    Daryl, Nov 29, 2006
  14. Daryl

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Daryl" <> wrote:

    > I tried the auto margin left and right. IE6 doesn't handle this correctly.
    > Not when I tested it anyway. The problem with the div tag is that it
    > assumes a break between sections and stacks them. It doesn't keep them as
    > inline items. Otherwise, I never would have had to ask for advise.
    >
    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > "Daryl" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Im still looking for help if there is any available apart from the
    > >> criticism.

    > > Your original question:
    > >
    > >> http://www.dreamscape.com/lyradf/index2.htm
    > >> The top two sections are dandy. Its all the other ones to follow that are
    > >> going to be a pain.
    > >> Is there an inline html tag that I can set the width and height on other
    > >> than <div> that I should be using?

    > > Why are you saying other than div? A standard way to centre stuff
    > > is to wrap in a div that is then centred by things like
    > > div#wrapper {width:800px;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;}
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    OK, it is not obvious quite that anyone understands what you
    want. They may but maybe are unsympathetic for various reasons.

    Do these things and you will get help:

    Isolate the problem further in a url and ask how can one centre
    "this" where "this" is obvious.

    And don't top post

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 29, 2006
  15. Daryl wrote:

    Please stop top-posting

    > How crappy webpages must look when their content and images are smooshed
    > down in a "fluid" manner to a window size much smaller 700px, not to mention
    > when a portion of the display is likely to be taken up by the typical left
    > navigation column....

    It is a matter of design and concept. If you approach it properly your
    page can look good at 500px or 1500px

    > This is not a sacrafice im willing to make, my content all distorted.
    > Especially given the amount of traffic the page will receive, very minimal.

    Another factor that you are not taking into consideration when you shoot
    for pixel-perfect design is what happens when the visitor does not have
    the font displaying at the size you specified. BTW don't use POINTS for
    display, use % or em. Or doesn't even have the fonts you specified on
    their computer and a substitution is made? What of your design then? How
    will it look on WebTV?

    > Im still looking for help if there is any available apart from the
    > criticism.

    This is a newsgroup where issues are discussed. Folks here do web design
    as a profession, I would expect their criticism would be both useful and
    desired.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 29, 2006
  16. Daryl

    Bergamot Guest

    Daryl wrote:
    > I tried the auto margin left and right. IE6 doesn't handle this correctly.
    >>
    >>> http://www.dreamscape.com/lyradf/index2.htm

    Please stop top-posting. Learn the accepted conventions of this
    newsgroup and you'll have a better time of things.

    IE6 doesn't handle margin:auto on your test page because you are
    triggering quirks mode. Get rid of the xml prolog on the first line and
    IE should switch to standards mode.

    Better yet, don't use XHTML in the first place. Stick with HTML 4.01 Strict.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Nov 29, 2006
  17. Daryl

    Daryl Guest

    Best advise yet. The prolog was being added by Tidy. Ill look to see how to
    stop it. Thanks.

    Daryl, Nov 29, 2006
  18. Daryl

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    Daryl wrote:

    >> That said, the willingness of the OP to allow horizontal scrolling for a
    >> user running a maximized browser at 800x600 is a bit disconcerting.

    > With my content at 800x600 i expect very little scrolling required. I
    > actually expect the adjust final width to round off at 790 or so so a
    > maximized window on an 800x600 screen setting should not require scroll.

    With browser chrome and a possible vertical scrollbar, the space you
    have for a maximized browser at 800x600 (assuming no sidebars) is about
    770px. If you make your content 800px wide, you WILL get a horizontal
    scrollbar.

    Kevin Scholl, Nov 29, 2006
  19. Daryl

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    Daryl wrote:

    >> http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200611/resolution_vs_browser_size_vs_fixed_or_adaptive_width/

    > This link is a perfect example of my rebuttals to the critics. It stays
    > fluid as the window size decreases but at some point it realizes how
    > ridiculous the content will look and it begins to require h-scroll.

    No, what that article and its comments say is that every project is
    different, and requires proper analysis and planning to arrive at the
    BEST solution for that problem.

    Kevin Scholl, Nov 29, 2006
  20. Daryl

    Daryl Guest

    I wasn't talking about what it said. I'm talking about what it did when the
    window was at different sizes.

    I read the whole page. it seems this was the wrong place to get advise for
    someone who isn't making a commercial site as everyone is just coming across
    as telling me that my dumb little personal page that will get little to no
    traffic needs to be designed to suit all the demands of a billion web
    browsers.

    I have gotten little advise on how to manage centered content within
    formatted div tags (except for removing the xml prolog and possibly xhtml
    altogether). I will likely resort to the more basic, more manageable table
    rows and columns.

    Daryl, Nov 29, 2006