css positioning question.

mbstevens

I read the whole page. it seems this was the wrong place to get advise for
someone who isn't making a commercial site as everyone is just coming across
as telling me that my dumb little personal page that will get little to no
traffic needs to be designed to suit all the demands of a billion web
browsers.

Why should you bother to center your content at all in that case?
That is what you come to if you follow that train of argument to its
logical conclusion.

If you're worried about centering content for your viewers, why shouldn't
you be worried about writing a generally more usable page for them, too?

The point is not that a "billion web browsers" will or won't be using it,
but that a significant _portion_ of the visitors who do come will be
inconvenienced by an wide fixed page.