css problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul F. Johnson, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. Paul F. Johnson, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Paul F. Johnson

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote:

    >http://www.all-the-johnsons.co.uk
    >
    >The CSS and html validates throughout the site, but there is something
    >badly wrong.
    >
    >Different browsers, even at the same resolution, cough on the css as you
    >can see if you visit the site.
    >
    >Any ideas where I've gone wrong?

    First thing is selectors like this:

    ul.makeMenu li > ul

    IE doesn't undestand child selectors and so treats that as

    ul.makeMenu li ul

    which can have side effects if you nest your lists more than two
    levels deep or sometimes have intermediate elements between the li and
    ul.

    If you want IE to ignore those styles altogether chage it to

    ul.makeMenu li>ul

    IE also doesn't support :hover on anything except <a> elements which
    is why your menus won't be dynamic unless you add some JavaScript.

    Part of the problem at different resolutions will be down to the fact
    that you've set the right column to have a width of 70% and a right
    margin of 16em. So where 16em is more than 30% of the page width you
    get problems.

    And what on earth is
    Shouldn't that be a h1 with appropriate CSS?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Paul F. Johnson

    Lunchbox G4 Guest

    I don't know what's wrong - it looks OK in Firefox, but we know firefox
    is tons more compliant than any browser out there. I had a question for
    you on the nav scheme. I love the popups! Tips on how to do that are
    appreciated, if you don't mind sharing.

    //LBG4

    Lunchbox G4, Jan 3, 2005