CSS = Pulling Hair Out

Discussion in 'HTML' started by greg@gofothdesigns.com, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Ok, i'm back, got my links working fine from a few threads down, now I've
    got a new problem. First off, the page in question is here:

    http://www.goforthdesigns.com/test

    After several deletions of cache and history files, it's still not working
    for me so I don't know what to think.

    Here is my CSS:

    body {
    background-image: url(images/background.gif);
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    }

    #links{
    position: absolute;
    top: 62;
    right: 10;
    }

    ..logo {
    position: absolute;
    top: 0;
    left: 0;
    }

    a:link {
    font-size: 1em;
    font-weight: normal;
    color: #000099;
    text-decoration: none;
    }

    a:visited {
    font-size: 1em;
    color: #000099;
    font-weight: normal;
    text-decoration: none;

    a:active {
    font-size: 1em;
    font-weight: normal;
    color: #000099;
    text-decoration: none;
    }

    a:hover {
    font-size: 1em;
    font-weight: normal;
    color: #FFFFFF;
    text-decoration: none;
    }

    Now, the logo positions fine, however the links are as far left and to the
    top as they can be. With the coordinates I have set it should position
    itself to the very far right hand side of the screen inside the grey area
    with the blue bars above and below it. The ID's are correct, the syntax on
    the xhtml page is <div id="links">link info here</div> yet it will not
    position itself correctly. And I have deleted my cache several times..I've
    got no idea about this one. Please help me save my last hair.

    -g-

    , Jul 16, 2003

  2. Marc Guest

    > Ok, i'm back, got my links working fine from a few threads down, now I've
    > got a new problem. First off, the page in question is here:
    >
    > http://www.goforthdesigns.com/test
    >
    > After several deletions of cache and history files, it's still not working
    > for me so I don't know what to think.
    >
    > Here is my CSS:
    >
    > body {
    > background-image: url(images/background.gif);
    > background-repeat: repeat-x;
    > }
    >
    > #links{
    > position: absolute;
    > top: 62;
    > right: 10;
    > }
    >
    > .logo {
    > position: absolute;
    > top: 0;
    > left: 0;
    > }
    >
    > a:link {
    > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    > font-size: 1em;
    > font-weight: normal;
    > color: #000099;
    > text-decoration: none;
    > }
    >
    > a:visited {
    > font-size: 1em;
    > color: #000099;
    > font-weight: normal;
    > text-decoration: none;
    > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    >

    > }
    >
    > a:active {
    > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    > font-size: 1em;
    > font-weight: normal;
    > color: #000099;
    > text-decoration: none;
    > }
    >
    > a:hover {
    > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    > font-size: 1em;
    > font-weight: normal;
    > color: #FFFFFF;
    > text-decoration: none;
    > }
    >

    > Now, the logo positions fine, however the links are as far left and to the
    > top as they can be. With the coordinates I have set it should position
    > itself to the very far right hand side of the screen inside the grey area
    > with the blue bars above and below it. The ID's are correct, the syntax

    on
    > the xhtml page is <div id="links">link info here</div> yet it will not
    > position itself correctly. And I have deleted my cache several

    times..I've
    > got no idea about this one. Please help me save my last hair.

    You have not set a width for the #links <div> so maybe the <div> is doing
    what <div>s are supposed to do, and is taking up all the width it has
    available?

    Marc

    Marc, Jul 16, 2003

    "Marc" <> wrote in message
    > > Ok, i'm back, got my links working fine from a few threads down, now

    I've
    > > got a new problem. First off, the page in question is here:
    > >
    > > http://www.goforthdesigns.com/test
    > >
    > > After several deletions of cache and history files, it's still not

    working
    > > for me so I don't know what to think.
    > >
    > > Here is my CSS:
    > >
    > > body {
    > > background-image: url(images/background.gif);
    > > background-repeat: repeat-x;
    > > }
    > >
    > > #links{
    > > position: absolute;
    > > top: 62;
    > > right: 10;
    > > }
    > >
    > > .logo {
    > > position: absolute;
    > > top: 0;
    > > left: 0;
    > > }
    > >
    > > a:link {
    > > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    > > font-size: 1em;
    > > font-weight: normal;
    > > color: #000099;
    > > text-decoration: none;
    > > }
    > >
    > > a:visited {
    > > font-size: 1em;
    > > color: #000099;
    > > font-weight: normal;
    > > text-decoration: none;
    > > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    > >

    > > }
    > >
    > > a:active {
    > > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    > > font-size: 1em;
    > > font-weight: normal;
    > > color: #000099;
    > > text-decoration: none;
    > > }
    > >
    > > a:hover {
    > > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    > > font-size: 1em;
    > > font-weight: normal;
    > > color: #FFFFFF;
    > > text-decoration: none;
    > > }
    > >

    > > Now, the logo positions fine, however the links are as far left and to

    the
    > > top as they can be. With the coordinates I have set it should position
    > > itself to the very far right hand side of the screen inside the grey

    area
    > > with the blue bars above and below it. The ID's are correct, the syntax

    > on
    > > the xhtml page is <div id="links">link info here</div> yet it will not
    > > position itself correctly. And I have deleted my cache several

    > times..I've
    > > got no idea about this one. Please help me save my last hair.

    > You have not set a width for the #links <div> so maybe the <div> is doing
    > what <div>s are supposed to do, and is taking up all the width it has
    > available?
    >
    > Marc

    Ok, I've now set the CSS to read:

    #links{
    position: absolute;
    top: 62;
    right: 10;
    width: 400px;
    }

    But it completely ignores the positioning. right now it looks like top 0
    left 0. Any more ideas?

    Thanks again for all the great help I've gotten from you guys.

    greg g.

    , Jul 16, 2003
  4. PeterMcC Guest

    wrote:
    > Ok, i'm back, got my links working fine from a few threads down, now
    > I've got a new problem. First off, the page in question is here:
    >
    > http://www.goforthdesigns.com/test
    >
    > After several deletions of cache and history files, it's still not
    > working for me so I don't know what to think.

    Apart from the other suggestions in this thread, you should define your
    links in the order, link, visited, hover, active

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jul 16, 2003
  5. wrote:

    > Ok, I've now set the CSS to read:
    >
    > #links{
    > position: absolute;
    > top: 62;
    > right: 10;
    > width: 400px;
    > }
    >
    > But it completely ignores the positioning. right now it looks
    > like top 0 left 0. Any more ideas?

    As stated elsewhere in the thread: specify a unit - in this case px
    (pixels), like you do when defining the width.

    --
    Anders Thorsen Holm | http://www.daimi.au.dk/~zoolook/
    "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by

    Anders Thorsen Holm, Jul 16, 2003

    > Apart from the other suggestions in this thread, you should define your
    > links in the order, link, visited, hover, active

    Taken from a few threads below: Why dosen't My CSS Work?

    Be sure to define the rules in this order:

    a:link {}
    a:visited {}
    a:active {}
    a:hover {}

    Which is it?

    By the way, my stuff is working now...thanks again guys.

    -g-

    , Jul 16, 2003
  7. wrote:

    > Taken from a few threads below: Why dosen't My CSS Work?

    [snip - my bad]

    > Which is it?

    Peter's right, you should define the rules in this order:
    link, visited, hover, active.

    With my code the rules for the hover-pseudoclass would be applied even
    *after* you'd activated a link in stead of the :hover-pseudoclass
    rules.

    Anders Thorsen Holm, Jul 16, 2003
  8. Anders Thorsen Holm wrote:

    > With my code the rules for the hover-pseudoclass would be applied
    > even *after* you'd activated a link in stead of the
    > :hover-pseudoclass rules.

    ^^^^^

    active, even .... damn, the heat is really getting to my head today.
    Bloody weather.

    Anders Thorsen Holm, Jul 16, 2003
  9. Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jul 16, 2003
  10. On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:15:44 +0000, wrote:

    > #links{
    > position: absolute;
    > top: 62;
    > right: 10;