    Does anyone know why the right border of the navigation menu disappears
    in IE? It works in Firefox.

    Thanks
    nospam, Jun 3, 2005

  2. nospam

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Jun 3, 2005

  3. nospam

    Els Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > nospam wrote:
    >
    >> I have a site with web design links at:
    >> http://tips.webdesign10.com

    > I don't see why anyone is trying to re-implement three-column CSS design,
    > now that they have this to play with:
    >
    > http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col
    >
    > It's so beautiful, it makes me want to cry.

    It is, I agree, I wish I had invented it ;-) - but...
    it doesn't allow for a footer below the 3 columns, which is what most
    companies insist on for their websites.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jun 3, 2005
  4. Also sprach Els:

    >> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col
    >>
    >> It's so beautiful, it makes me want to cry.

    > It is, I agree, I wish I had invented it ;-) - but...
    > it doesn't allow for a footer below the 3 columns, which is what most
    > companies insist on for their websites.

    Shouldn't it be possible to make it work with floats alone - no absolute
    positioning? In that case, the footer should be quite easy to implement. By
    the way: how come my Netscape 4.76 doesn't display the list bullets?
    Thomas Mlynarczyk, Jun 3, 2005
  5. nospam

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > nospam wrote:
    >
    >> I have a site with web design links at:
    >> http://tips.webdesign10.com

    > I don't see why anyone is trying to re-implement three-column CSS design,
    > now that they have this to play with:
    >
    > http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col
    >
    > It's so beautiful, it makes me want to cry.

    It made my validator cry.
    KiwiBrian, Jun 3, 2005
  6. nospam

    Els Guest

    Thomas Mlynarczyk wrote:

    > Also sprach Els:
    >
    >>> http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col
    >>>
    >>> It's so beautiful, it makes me want to cry.

    >> It is, I agree, I wish I had invented it ;-) - but...
    >> it doesn't allow for a footer below the 3 columns, which is what most
    >> companies insist on for their websites.

    > Shouldn't it be possible to make it work with floats alone - no absolute
    > positioning?

    Not while being supported by so many browsers.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jun 3, 2005
  7. nospam

    Toby Inkster Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > It made my validator cry.

    If you're referring to the W3C CSS validator, that thing is as buggy as
    hell. If you use the "validate referer" option, it will come up with a
    bogus error message, but if you tap in the URL to the style sheet here:

    http://jigsaw.w3.org:80/css-validator/validator-uri

    it will give it a nice clean report. :)

    The style sheet is perfectly conforming CSS 2.0.

    Regarding the footer which Els brought up, use a structure like this:

    If you are *sure* that the centre column will be the longest, then you may
    use "width:100%" on the footer. Otherwise, bring in the left and right
    margins of the footer, to make sure it doesn't overlap with the flanking
    side columns. It's not ideal, I know.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jun 3, 2005
  8. nospam wrote:

    > I have a site with web design links at:
    > http://tips.webdesign10.com
    >
    > Does anyone know why the right border of the navigation menu disappears
    > in IE? It works in Firefox.
    >
    > Thanks

    It is a bit contradictory that you want to teach web-design and you
    don't have a clue of disappearing borders. What say?

    Best
    Animesh Kumar, Jun 3, 2005
  9. nospam

    mscir Guest

    nospam wrote:

    > I have a site with web design links at:
    > http://tips.webdesign10.com
    >
    > Does anyone know why the right border of the navigation menu disappears
    > in IE? It works in Firefox.
    >
    > Thanks

    To keep with your curent approach, did you try setting the widths of the
    appropriate ul li?

    #nav ul li {
    width: 150px;

    #nav2 ul li {
    width: 150px;

    #navwd ul li {
    width: 150px;
    mscir, Jun 3, 2005
  10. nospam

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Toby Inkster <>

    > I don't see why anyone is trying to re-implement three-column CSS design,
    > now that they have this to play with:
    >
    > http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col
    >
    > It's so beautiful, it makes me want to cry.

    I must confess that tears actually formed in my eyes when I was resizing the
    window and it was holding and not breaking as so many "css" sites do. I was
    so emotional in fact that I excused it breaking up on enlarging the fonts.
    especially as the enlargement was even greater than I use when very tired
    or... upset... I don't think I can continue. Excuse me while I get
    tissues...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 4, 2005
  11. nospam

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Animesh Kumar <>
    > nospam wrote:
    >
    >> I have a site with web design links at:
    >> http://tips.webdesign10.com
    >>
    >> Does anyone know why the right border of the navigation menu disappears
    >> in IE? It works in Firefox.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > It is a bit contradictory that you want to teach web-design and you
    > don't have a clue of disappearing borders. What say?
    >
    > Best

    It is not contradictory. No one is perfect. And people can teach and
    contribute and still need help in certain areas...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 4, 2005
  12. nospam

    nospam Guest

    Animesh Kumar wrote:
    > nospam wrote:
    >
    >> I have a site with web design links at:
    >> http://tips.webdesign10.com
    >>
    >> Does anyone know why the right border of the navigation menu
    >> disappears in IE? It works in Firefox.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > It is a bit contradictory that you want to teach web-design and you
    > don't have a clue of disappearing borders. What say?
    >
    > Best

    Who me? I'm not teaching web design. I just made some pages with links
    to web design tutorials for people who were asking me how to do it. The
    list got so long that I split it into many pages. You won't find any
    tutorials there, just links to tutorials. And, in any case, I know more
    than a lot of people I've met who make a living with web design -- in
    terms of generating cash with the Internet for businesses. I'm still
    starting out with programming and don't claim to be an expert. I refer
    people to the site when I introduce them to the idea of free software,
    or when helping them get started with learning more about computers.

    Do *you* know why the right borders are disappearing only in IE? I
    haven't heard any answers yet.
    nospam, Jun 5, 2005
  13. nospam wrote:

    <snip>
    > Do *you* know why the right borders are disappearing only in IE? I
    > haven't heard any answers yet.

    try editing your CSS file as such

    #centercontent {
    /* background:#fff */;
    background: transparent;
    border: 1px solid #f00;
    vertical-align: top;
    padding: 0px 15px 15px 15px;
    }

    and you can better see what IE is doing and find what rule is the
    problem. Your CSS file shows many transitions edits and you may have
    conflicting rules...

    strip down your design to find the problem, use FF or Mozilla's DOM
    Inspector and compare the CSS Style Rules vs the Computed Style. A
    confict may be interpricted one way by one browser and another by a
    different one...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 5, 2005
  14. nospam wrote:

    > Animesh Kumar wrote:
    >
    >> nospam wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a site with web design links at:
    >>> http://tips.webdesign10.com
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know why the right border of the navigation menu
    >>> disappears in IE? It works in Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> It is a bit contradictory that you want to teach web-design and you
    >> don't have a clue of disappearing borders. What say?
    >>
    >> Best

    > Who me? I'm not teaching web design. I just made some pages with links
    > to web design tutorials for people who were asking me how to do it. The
    > list got so long that I split it into many pages. You won't find any
    > tutorials there, just links to tutorials. And, in any case, I know more
    > than a lot of people I've met who make a living with web design -- in
    > terms of generating cash with the Internet for businesses. I'm still
    > starting out with programming and don't claim to be an expert. I refer
    > people to the site when I introduce them to the idea of free software,
    > or when helping them get started with learning more about computers.
    >
    > Do *you* know why the right borders are disappearing only in IE? I
    > haven't heard any answers yet.

    There are many issues wrt IE handling borders, padding, margins etc
    differently than what CSS suggests. You may want to check with a book.

    I ended up in some extra-white space in IE as well which I got rid of by
    trial and errors.

    Best
    Animesh Kumar, Jun 6, 2005