CSS question -- why doesn't this work in IE?

Els

Toby said:
I don't see why anyone is trying to re-implement three-column CSS design,
now that they have this to play with:

http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col

It's so beautiful, it makes me want to cry.

It is, I agree, I wish I had invented it ;-) - but...
it doesn't allow for a footer below the 3 columns, which is what most
companies insist on for their websites.

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Els:
It is, I agree, I wish I had invented it ;-) - but...
it doesn't allow for a footer below the 3 columns, which is what most
companies insist on for their websites.

Shouldn't it be possible to make it work with floats alone - no absolute
positioning? In that case, the footer should be quite easy to implement. By
the way: how come my Netscape 4.76 doesn't display the list bullets?

Els

Thomas said:
Also sprach Els:

Shouldn't it be possible to make it work with floats alone - no absolute
positioning?

Not while being supported by so many browsers.

Toby Inkster

KiwiBrian said:
It made my validator cry.

If you're referring to the W3C CSS validator, that thing is as buggy as
hell. If you use the "validate referer" option, it will come up with a
bogus error message, but if you tap in the URL to the style sheet here:

http://jigsaw.w3.org:80/css-validator/validator-uri

it will give it a nice clean report. :)

The style sheet is perfectly conforming CSS 2.0.

Regarding the footer which Els brought up, use a structure like this:

If you are *sure* that the centre column will be the longest, then you may
use "width:100%" on the footer. Otherwise, bring in the left and right
margins of the footer, to make sure it doesn't overlap with the flanking
side columns. It's not ideal, I know.

Animesh Kumar

nospam said:
I have a site with web design links at:
http://tips.webdesign10.com

Does anyone know why the right border of the navigation menu disappears
in IE? It works in Firefox.

Thanks

It is a bit contradictory that you want to teach web-design and you
don't have a clue of disappearing borders. What say?

Best

mscir

nospam said:
I have a site with web design links at:
http://tips.webdesign10.com

Does anyone know why the right border of the navigation menu disappears
in IE? It works in Firefox.

Thanks

To keep with your curent approach, did you try setting the widths of the
appropriate ul li?

#nav ul li {
width: 150px;

#nav2 ul li {
width: 150px;

#navwd ul li {
width: 150px;

dorayme

From: Toby Inkster said:
I don't see why anyone is trying to re-implement three-column CSS design,
now that they have this to play with:

http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/3col

It's so beautiful, it makes me want to cry.

I must confess that tears actually formed in my eyes when I was resizing the
window and it was holding and not breaking as so many "css" sites do. I was
so emotional in fact that I excused it breaking up on enlarging the fonts.
especially as the enlargement was even greater than I use when very tired
or... upset... I don't think I can continue. Excuse me while I get
tissues...

dorayme

dorayme

From: Animesh Kumar said:
It is a bit contradictory that you want to teach web-design and you
don't have a clue of disappearing borders. What say?

Best

It is not contradictory. No one is perfect. And people can teach and
contribute and still need help in certain areas...

dorayme

Guest

Animesh said:
It is a bit contradictory that you want to teach web-design and you
don't have a clue of disappearing borders. What say?

Best

Who me? I'm not teaching web design. I just made some pages with links
to web design tutorials for people who were asking me how to do it. The
list got so long that I split it into many pages. You won't find any
tutorials there, just links to tutorials. And, in any case, I know more
than a lot of people I've met who make a living with web design -- in
terms of generating cash with the Internet for businesses. I'm still
starting out with programming and don't claim to be an expert. I refer
people to the site when I introduce them to the idea of free software,
or when helping them get started with learning more about computers.

Do *you* know why the right borders are disappearing only in IE? I
haven't heard any answers yet.

Jonathan N. Little

nospam wrote:

Do *you* know why the right borders are disappearing only in IE? I
haven't heard any answers yet.

try editing your CSS file as such

#centercontent {
/* background:#fff */;
background: transparent;
border: 1px solid #f00;
vertical-align: top;
padding: 0px 15px 15px 15px;
}

and you can better see what IE is doing and find what rule is the
problem. Your CSS file shows many transitions edits and you may have
conflicting rules...

strip down your design to find the problem, use FF or Mozilla's DOM
Inspector and compare the CSS Style Rules vs the Computed Style. A
confict may be interpricted one way by one browser and another by a
different one...

Animesh Kumar

nospam said:
Who me? I'm not teaching web design. I just made some pages with links
to web design tutorials for people who were asking me how to do it. The
list got so long that I split it into many pages. You won't find any
tutorials there, just links to tutorials. And, in any case, I know more
than a lot of people I've met who make a living with web design -- in
terms of generating cash with the Internet for businesses. I'm still
starting out with programming and don't claim to be an expert. I refer
people to the site when I introduce them to the idea of free software,
or when helping them get started with learning more about computers.

Do *you* know why the right borders are disappearing only in IE? I
haven't heard any answers yet.

There are many issues wrt IE handling borders, padding, margins etc
differently than what CSS suggests. You may want to check with a book.

I ended up in some extra-white space in IE as well which I got rid of by
trial and errors.

Best