    don't see how I can memorize it all.

    Thanks,
    Brian

    woodsonlateral, Nov 2, 2005

  2. woodsonlateral

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Trapped in the departure lounge at alt.html, woodsonlateral got bored
    and wrote:

    > I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
    > expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
    > books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
    > don't see how I can memorize it all.

    I don't know about everyone else, but I certainly cheat on occasion. I
    don't have any reference books or sheets lying around, but I find it
    really handy to use TopStyle (http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/) for
    editing my CSS files as it has things like autocomplete and tooltips
    etc.

    I have been using the free version for some time, but I was thinking
    about upgrading to the full version if I can get my boss to pay for it
    for me! :)

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.

    Dylan Parry, Nov 2, 2005

  3. Well, it does help that Dreamweaver 8 has some cool "auto-complete" CSS
    features now, so that helps. Yet if I am somewhere were I just have
    notepad, I guess I'd better remember most of the common CSS commands.

    Question...I am pretty comfortable with XHTML and CSS and I'd like to
    move on to ASP.NET (I know some basic stuff about VB.NET). Is that the
    next step or should I try something a little more, say, as a bridge to
    ASP.NET?

    Thanks,
    Brian

    woodsonlateral, Nov 2, 2005
  4. woodsonlateral

    Els Guest

    woodsonlateral wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
    > expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
    > books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
    > don't see how I can memorize it all.

    I remember most if not all of the styles I regularly use, but it does
    happen sometimes that I need to 'cheat'. I don't use a cheat sheet
    though, I just go to the W3c site and look it up.

    I do use a cheat sheet for all the different browser hacks though. Too
    much hassle remembering those.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Nov 2, 2005
  5. woodsonlateral

    Chris Beall Guest

    woodsonlateral wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
    > expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
    > books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
    > don't see how I can memorize it all.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brian

    Brian,

    I can't remember what I had for breakfast, but I have a bookmark to
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/.

    Mind you, I do this for fun. If I were trying to pay bills with it, I'd
    have the walls plastered with quick-references.

    Chris Beall

    Chris Beall, Nov 2, 2005
  6. woodsonlateral

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, woodsonlateral quothed:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
    > expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
    > books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
    > don't see how I can memorize it all.

    It's easy. Go sit in a corner and write the complete w3c spec 500 times
    on notebook paper. If that doesn't do it, knock off another 500, and so
    on. (Learned that in school.)

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Nov 2, 2005
  7. woodsonlateral

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 19:34:34 +0000, Dylan Parry <>
    wrote:

    : but I find it
    : really handy to use TopStyle (http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/) for
    : editing my CSS files as it has things like autocomplete and tooltips
    : etc.

    Agree on that. :)

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 2, 2005
  8. woodsonlateral

    Mark Parnell Guest

    In our last episode, Dylan Parry <> pronounced to
    alt.html:

    > really handy to use TopStyle (http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/) for
    > editing my CSS files as it has things like autocomplete and tooltips
    > etc.

    I love Quanta for the same reason. But it's not available for Windows.
    :-(

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Nov 2, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    Els <> wrote:

    > I do use a cheat sheet for all the different browser hacks though. Too
    > much hassle remembering those.

    Post it! Rats, it's surely in Dutch, and I'm weak at my own language :-(

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Nov 3, 2005
  10. woodsonlateral

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Nov 3, 2005
  11. woodsonlateral

    Els Guest

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Els <> wrote:
    >
    >> I do use a cheat sheet for all the different browser hacks though. Too
    >> much hassle remembering those.

    > Post it! Rats, it's surely in Dutch, and I'm weak at my own language :-(

    It's not my own, and it's been online for ages:
    (and it's not in Dutch! :D )

    http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Nov 3, 2005
  12. In article <9itsqp24vkkg$>,
    Els <> wrote:

    > It's not my own, and it's been online for ages:
    > (and it's not in Dutch! :D )
    >
    > http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

    Thanks so much! It appears to be an updated version of Eric Myers
    original CSS compatibility chart showing the newest bells and whistles
    only and assuming you know the old. Now I'll have to seriously learn
    CSS2 which was poorly supported when I did my last site. Which also
    shows how poorly updated I am :-(
    Thanks again, and I don't think '@media tty' should be at the top of my
    list. Lots to learn.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Nov 3, 2005
  13. woodsonlateral

    Stuart Guest

    woodsonlateral wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
    > expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
    > books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
    > don't see how I can memorize it all.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brian

    I swear by the O'Reilly CSS pocket reference. And the Javascript one,
    and the HTML one, etc :)

    I find myself referring to them less and less - but I still like to have
    them nearby in case of crisis.

    --
    Stuart Brown <>
    http://www.edesign.cc

    Stuart, Nov 3, 2005
  14. woodsonlateral

    Jake Guest

    In message <>,
    woodsonlateral <> writes
    >Hi!
    >
    >I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
    >expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
    >books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
    >don't see how I can memorize it all.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Brian

    How many professionals do you know -- who work in any area -- and don't
    have a desk/office full of reference works?

    No need to guess or struggle when you can look it up ;-)

    regards.

    --
    Jake ( -- just a 'spam trap' mail address)

    Jake, Nov 3, 2005
  15. woodsonlateral

    kchayka Guest

    Els wrote:

    > http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

    There's another good one at
    <URL:http://www.dithered.com/css_filters/css_only/>

    Be advised, however, that MS says they have "fixed" the next version of
    IE so hacks that rely on IE parsing errors won't work in IE7.
    <URL:http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/10/12/480242.aspx>

    Of course, I don't have high hopes that they have beefed up CSS support
    enough so IE-specific work-arounds aren't needed any more, unless
    they're only for bugs (peek-a-boo etc. should already be fixed).

    Their official recommendation is that authors use conditional comments
    if they want special CSS for IE. So we should pollute the HTML on every
    page rather than pollute one CSS file. Actually, we need both, since IE6
    is going to be around for many years yet. :-(

    kchayka, Nov 3, 2005
  16. woodsonlateral

    Els Guest

    kchayka wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >>
    >> http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

    > There's another good one at
    > <URL:http://www.dithered.com/css_filters/css_only/>

    Bookmarked, thanks.

    > Be advised, however, that MS says they have "fixed" the next version of
    > IE so hacks that rely on IE parsing errors won't work in IE7.
    > <URL:http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/10/12/480242.aspx>
    >
    > Of course, I don't have high hopes that they have beefed up CSS support
    > enough so IE-specific work-arounds aren't needed any more, unless
    > they're only for bugs (peek-a-boo etc. should already be fixed).

    I think (call me an 'optimist') that we (the 'designers') will just
    need to figure out more/different/new hacks for IE7 to combine with
    the old ones to cater for the new bugs without screwing up the
    existing ones. Sort of what we do now with
    /* \*/
    * html div{}
    /* */
    (two hacks combined to serve only IE but not MacIE)

    > Their official recommendation is that authors use conditional comments
    > if they want special CSS for IE. So we should pollute the HTML on every
    > page rather than pollute one CSS file. Actually, we need both, since IE6
    > is going to be around for many years yet. :-(

    But... aren't those conditional comments version specific? Like: if
    IE7 or if IE6?
    I still prefer to have all my hacks interspersed inside my one CSS
    file though, instead of having separate IE CSS files to overrule the
    default one.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Nov 3, 2005
  17. woodsonlateral

    kchayka Guest

    Els wrote:
    > kchayka wrote:
    >
    >> <URL:http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/10/12/480242.aspx>

    >> Their official recommendation is that authors use conditional comments
    >> if they want special CSS for IE.

    > But... aren't those conditional comments version specific? Like: if
    > IE7 or if IE6?

    There are different comparison operators, like "IE lt 7" for any version
    less than IE7.
    <URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp>

    > I still prefer to have all my hacks interspersed inside my one CSS
    > file though, instead of having separate IE CSS files to overrule the
    > default one.

    Me too. I find it easier to manage when everything is in one place. Plus
    I cringe at the added overhead of extra HTML markup and downloading an
    extra file, just to accommodate one lousy browser. :(

    kchayka, Nov 3, 2005
  18. woodsonlateral

    brucie Guest

    In post <news:>,
    woodsonlateral said:

    > I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
    > expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
    > books when it comes to CSS?

    i've been doing this web type stuff for a few months now, maybe more and i
    cant recall ever doing a site and not checking with the various recs/specs
    for some reason.

    > I want to get more versed in CSS but I just don't see how I can memorize
    > it all.

    don't worry about memorizing it, it'll happen anyway. eventually you'll
    just need to check the specs/recs to confirm something.

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 4, 2005
  19. woodsonlateral

    Duende Guest

    On 03 Nov 2005 brucie wrote in alt.html

    > i've been doing this web type stuff for a few months now, maybe more

    Good boy, stick with it.

    > and i cant recall

    That happens when you get old

    > ever doing a site and not checking with the various recs/specs
    > for some reason.

    Because you forgot.

    >> I want to get more versed in CSS

    Ambitious booger aren't you

    > but I just don't see how I can memorize it all.

    Just keep taking those little green pills.

    --
    D?

    Duende, Nov 4, 2005
  20. woodsonlateral

    brucie Guest

    In post <news:Xns9703A598DC22EHi@207.115.17.102>,
    Duende said:

    >> i've been doing this web type stuff for a few months now, maybe more

    > Good boy, stick with it.

    its great fun! i just cant work out how to get that little picture beside
    the site address.

    >> and i cant recall

    > That happens when you get old

    pot/kettle/black