CSS - Remember All of it?

woodsonlateral

Hi!

I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
don't see how I can memorize it all.

Thanks,
Brian

Dylan Parry

Trapped in the departure lounge at alt.html, woodsonlateral got bored
and said:
I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
don't see how I can memorize it all.

I don't know about everyone else, but I certainly cheat on occasion. I
don't have any reference books or sheets lying around, but I find it
really handy to use TopStyle (http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/) for
editing my CSS files as it has things like autocomplete and tooltips
etc.

I have been using the free version for some time, but I was thinking
about upgrading to the full version if I can get my boss to pay for it
for me! :)

woodsonlateral

Well, it does help that Dreamweaver 8 has some cool "auto-complete" CSS
features now, so that helps. Yet if I am somewhere were I just have
notepad, I guess I'd better remember most of the common CSS commands.

Question...I am pretty comfortable with XHTML and CSS and I'd like to
move on to ASP.NET (I know some basic stuff about VB.NET). Is that the
next step or should I try something a little more, say, as a bridge to
ASP.NET?

Thanks,
Brian

Els

woodsonlateral said:
Hi!

I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
don't see how I can memorize it all.

I remember most if not all of the styles I regularly use, but it does
happen sometimes that I need to 'cheat'. I don't use a cheat sheet
though, I just go to the W3c site and look it up.

I do use a cheat sheet for all the different browser hacks though. Too
much hassle remembering those.

Chris Beall

woodsonlateral said:
Hi!

I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
don't see how I can memorize it all.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,

I can't remember what I had for breakfast, but I have a bookmark to
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/.

Mind you, I do this for fun. If I were trying to pay bills with it, I'd
have the walls plastered with quick-references.

Chris Beall

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, woodsonlateral quothed:
Hi!

I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
don't see how I can memorize it all.

It's easy. Go sit in a corner and write the complete w3c spec 500 times
on notebook paper. If that doesn't do it, knock off another 500, and so
on. (Learned that in school.)

Leonard Blaisdell

Els said:
I do use a cheat sheet for all the different browser hacks though. Too
much hassle remembering those.

Post it! Rats, it's surely in Dutch, and I'm weak at my own language :-(

leo

Leonard Blaisdell

Els said:
It's not my own, and it's been online for ages:
(and it's not in Dutch! :D )

http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

Thanks so much! It appears to be an updated version of Eric Myers
original CSS compatibility chart showing the newest bells and whistles
only and assuming you know the old. Now I'll have to seriously learn
CSS2 which was poorly supported when I did my last site. Which also
shows how poorly updated I am :-(
Thanks again, and I don't think '@media tty' should be at the top of my
list. Lots to learn.

leo

Stuart

woodsonlateral said:
Hi!

I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
don't see how I can memorize it all.

Thanks,
Brian

I swear by the O'Reilly CSS pocket reference. And the Javascript one,
and the HTML one, etc :)

I find myself referring to them less and less - but I still like to have
them nearby in case of crisis.

Jake

In message said:
Hi!

I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
books when it comes to CSS? I want to get more versed in CSS but I just
don't see how I can memorize it all.

Thanks,
Brian
How many professionals do you know -- who work in any area -- and don't
have a desk/office full of reference works?

No need to guess or struggle when you can look it up ;-)

regards.

kchayka

Els said:

There's another good one at
<URL:http://www.dithered.com/css_filters/css_only/>

Be advised, however, that MS says they have "fixed" the next version of
IE so hacks that rely on IE parsing errors won't work in IE7.
<URL:http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/10/12/480242.aspx>

Of course, I don't have high hopes that they have beefed up CSS support
enough so IE-specific work-arounds aren't needed any more, unless
they're only for bugs (peek-a-boo etc. should already be fixed).

Their official recommendation is that authors use conditional comments
if they want special CSS for IE. So we should pollute the HTML on every
page rather than pollute one CSS file. Actually, we need both, since IE6
is going to be around for many years yet. :-(

Els

kchayka said:

Bookmarked, thanks.
Be advised, however, that MS says they have "fixed" the next version of
IE so hacks that rely on IE parsing errors won't work in IE7.
<URL:http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/10/12/480242.aspx>

Of course, I don't have high hopes that they have beefed up CSS support
enough so IE-specific work-arounds aren't needed any more, unless
they're only for bugs (peek-a-boo etc. should already be fixed).

I think (call me an 'optimist') that we (the 'designers') will just
need to figure out more/different/new hacks for IE7 to combine with
the old ones to cater for the new bugs without screwing up the
existing ones. Sort of what we do now with
/* \*/
* html div{}
/* */
(two hacks combined to serve only IE but not MacIE)
Their official recommendation is that authors use conditional comments
if they want special CSS for IE. So we should pollute the HTML on every
page rather than pollute one CSS file. Actually, we need both, since IE6
is going to be around for many years yet. :-(

But... aren't those conditional comments version specific? Like: if
IE7 or if IE6?
I still prefer to have all my hacks interspersed inside my one CSS
file though, instead of having separate IE CSS files to overrule the
default one.

kchayka

Els said:
But... aren't those conditional comments version specific? Like: if
IE7 or if IE6?

There are different comparison operators, like "IE lt 7" for any version
less than IE7.
I still prefer to have all my hacks interspersed inside my one CSS
file though, instead of having separate IE CSS files to overrule the
default one.

Me too. I find it easier to manage when everything is in one place. Plus
I cringe at the added overhead of extra HTML markup and downloading an
extra file, just to accommodate one lousy browser. :(

brucie

I know the "gist" of CSS but are most professional web designers
expected to know it all or do they often reference cheat sheets and
books when it comes to CSS?

i've been doing this web type stuff for a few months now, maybe more and i
cant recall ever doing a site and not checking with the various recs/specs
for some reason.
I want to get more versed in CSS but I just don't see how I can memorize
it all.

don't worry about memorizing it, it'll happen anyway. eventually you'll
just need to check the specs/recs to confirm something.

Duende

On 03 Nov 2005 brucie wrote in alt.html
i've been doing this web type stuff for a few months now, maybe more

Good boy, stick with it.
and i cant recall

That happens when you get old
ever doing a site and not checking with the various recs/specs
for some reason.

Because you forgot.
Ambitious booger aren't you
but I just don't see how I can memorize it all.

Just keep taking those little green pills.