    Any thoughts on getting better control of my linking styles here?

    Thanks,
    Mark
    markymark, Sep 2, 2006

  2. markymark

    markymark Guest

    markymark wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using CSS to control linking styles on this page.
    >
    > http://timothydahl.com/unity/about.htm
    >
    > In IE6 it looks fine but in Firefox 1.5 the links along the right nav
    > don't show hover and start out in a color that I didn't specify. I can
    > only think it's picking up something from my bottom nav but IE views it
    > the way I want.
    >
    > Any thoughts on getting better control of my linking styles here?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    I just realized it's only external links that are looking strange. Why???
    markymark, Sep 2, 2006

  3. markymark

    markymark Guest

    markymark wrote:
    > markymark wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm using CSS to control linking styles on this page.
    >>
    >> http://timothydahl.com/unity/about.htm
    >>
    >> In IE6 it looks fine but in Firefox 1.5 the links along the right nav
    >> don't show hover and start out in a color that I didn't specify. I
    >> can only think it's picking up something from my bottom nav but IE
    >> views it the way I want.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on getting better control of my linking styles here?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Mark

    > I just realized it's only external links that are looking strange. Why???

    IE is now also screwy. My CSS looks like this.

    a:link {
    text-decoration:none;
    color:#000000
    }

    a:hover {
    color:#999999
    }

    a:visited{
    text-decoration:none;
    color:#000000
    }

    ..topnav a {
    text-decoration:none;
    font-size:12px;
    }

    ..topnav a:link {
    color:#000000;
    font-size:12px;
    }

    ..topnav a:visited {
    color:#000000;
    font-size:12px;
    }

    ..topnav a:hover {
    color:#cccccc;
    font-size:12px;
    }

    ..bottomnav A:link, A:visited, A:active {
    font:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    color:#CCCCCC;
    text-decoration:none;
    font-size:9px;
    }

    ..bottomnav a:hover {
    color: #6F707F;
    }
    markymark, Sep 2, 2006
  4. markymark wrote:

    > http://timothydahl.com/unity/about.htm
    >
    > In IE6 it looks fine but in Firefox 1.5 the links along the right nav
    > don't show hover and start out in a color that I didn't specify.

    I think you'll find that it is *visited* links that don't hover. You defined
    the :visited selector after the :hover selectors and they have equal
    specificity.

    You also have a stack of syntax errors:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://timothydahl.com/unity/about.htm

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Sep 2, 2006
  5. markymark

    Ed Jay Guest

    markymark scribed:

    >markymark wrote:
    >> markymark wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm using CSS to control linking styles on this page.
    >>>
    >>> http://timothydahl.com/unity/about.htm
    >>>
    >>> In IE6 it looks fine but in Firefox 1.5 the links along the right nav
    >>> don't show hover and start out in a color that I didn't specify. I
    >>> can only think it's picking up something from my bottom nav but IE
    >>> views it the way I want.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts on getting better control of my linking styles here?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Mark

    >> I just realized it's only external links that are looking strange. Why???

    >IE is now also screwy. My CSS looks like this.
    >
    >a:link {
    > text-decoration:none;
    > color:#000000
    > }
    >
    >a:hover {
    > color:#999999
    > }

    It looks OK in Opera. Have you considered putting a semicolon after the
    #999999?
    --
    Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)
    Ed Jay, Sep 2, 2006
  6. Ed Jay wrote:
    > markymark scribed:

    <snip>

    >> a:hover {
    >> color:#999999
    >> }
    >>

    > It looks OK in Opera. Have you considered putting a semicolon after the
    > #999999?

    It is not required for the *last* statements, however I like to add it
    anyway so that if at a latter time I add another statement to the rule
    the ';' is already there. If missed it can cause an error that you can
    waste a bit of time trying to locate.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan