CSS Safari Problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nick Howes, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Nick Howes

    Nick Howes Guest

    I have this web page in development, using CSS and with menu and body
    divs.. basically on Safari the main text is all inside the menu div, I'm
    sure the divs are terminated properly (w3 validator doesn't say anything
    about it):

    http://www.mildmanneredjanitor.com:8081/harmony/interfaces/start_session.jsp

    I know the nested list is invalid XHTML at the moment and the <hr>'s aren't
    <hr />'d, I'm fixing them in the next iteration, they shouldn't be the
    problem? Works fine on IE for Mac and Windows, and Mozilla Firebird on
    Windows and Linux.

    I tried a static version with these problems fixed, I don't have a mac so I
    can't myself look at them and the person I'm working with on his mac is
    across the Atlantic, could somebody see if this version is any better on
    Safari:

    http://www.thehowesfamily.com/nick/efa/index.htm

    Or even if you haven't got a mac and you notice something stupid about the
    source... please lend a hand.

    Thanks

    --
    Nick Howes

    Nick Howes, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Nick Howes wrote:

    > I have this web page in development, using CSS and with menu and body
    > divs.. basically on Safari the main text is all inside the menu div, I'm
    > sure the divs are terminated properly (w3 validator doesn't say anything
    > about it):
    >
    > http://www.mildmanneredjanitor.com:8081/harmony/interfaces/start_session.jsp

    It is probably because of your nightmare lists! You have:

    <ul>
    <ul>

    </ul>
    <ul>

    </ul>
    <ul>

    Try:

    <ul>
    <ul>

    </ul></li>
    <ul>

    </ul></li>
    </ul>

    This seems to fix the issue in Konqueror (and Safari uses Konqueror's
    rendering engine)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Nick Howes

    Nick Howes Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" wrote...
    > Nick Howes wrote:
    > > I have this web page in development, using CSS and with menu and body
    > > divs.. basically on Safari the main text is all inside the menu div, I'm
    > > sure the divs are terminated properly (w3 validator doesn't say anything
    > > about it):
    > >
    > > I know the nested list is invalid XHTML at the moment and the <hr>'s

    aren't
    > > <hr />'d, I'm fixing them in the next iteration, they shouldn't be the
    > > problem? Works fine on IE for Mac and Windows, and Mozilla Firebird on
    > > Windows and Linux.

    > It is probably because of your nightmare lists!>

    I did mention this in my original, with a link to a fixed version. Scroll
    down in future! :) Did you find that one to work? If you say that's a common
    problem in Safari/Konqueror, then it probably is the cure; especially as a
    previous version without listed menu seemed to work, I just didn't think
    that such an unrelated error could have that impact. Thanks for confirming
    it anyway.

    Nick Howes, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Nick Howes wrote:

    > I just didn't think
    > that such an unrelated error could have that impact. Thanks for confirming
    > it anyway.

    It wasn't unrelated though. There were two unclosed <ul> elements (as well
    as some weird nesting going on, but that's beside the point). Because the
    <ul>s were unclosed, KHTML (Konq/Safari's rendering engine) thought the
    rest of the page was inside the list.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Nick Howes

    Nick Howes Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Nick Howes wrote:
    >
    > > I just didn't think
    > > that such an unrelated error could have that impact. Thanks for

    confirming
    > > it anyway.

    > It wasn't unrelated though. There were two unclosed <ul> elements (as well
    > as some weird nesting going on, but that's beside the point). Because the
    > <ul>s were unclosed, KHTML (Konq/Safari's rendering engine) thought the
    > rest of the page was inside the list.

    Yes... I thought I'd only done the nesting wrong, completely hadn't seen the
    <ul> instead of </ul> at the end of it all! I can totally understand why
    that would mess up the page. So that was probably what was causing the
    original symptom.

    Cheers
    --
    Nick