CSS table don't look like html TABLE

Discussion in 'HTML' started by vitay, Nov 8, 2006.

  1. vitay

    vitay Guest

    Hi

    I have table in HTML that look like:

    example1
    col1 col2
    |text_short |text2|
    |text_longgggg|text2|

    example2 (the same table but text_long is longer)
    col1 col2
    |text_short |text2|
    |text_longggggggg|text2|

    I have in div CSS effect like this

    col1 col2
    |text_short|text2|
    |text_longggggggg|text2|

    This is a bad effect for me!!
    And how to do in CSS like true table HTML?
    vitay, Nov 8, 2006

  2. vitay

    Bergamot Guest

    vitay wrote:

    > And how to do in CSS like true table HTML?

    If the data is tabular, then use a table - that's what it's for.
    If the data is not tabular, then post a URL so we can better understand
    the actual situation. Do not post code, please.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Nov 8, 2006

  3. vitay

    vitay Guest

    >> And how to do in CSS like true table HTML?
    >
    > If the data is tabular, then use a table - that's what it's for.
    > If the data is not tabular, then post a URL so we can better understand
    > the actual situation. Do not post code, please.

    I think is this possible to do with CSS completely like table.
    Table have width auto and if for example if first col of first row
    have 200px then table automatic do with all cols in another rows of table.
    Div is like others rows not connected each other.
    vitay, Nov 8, 2006
  4. vitay

    Bergamot Guest

    vitay wrote:

    > I think is this possible to do with CSS completely like table.
    > Table have width auto and if for example if first col of first row

    I think you missed the point - if you're talking rows and columns, it
    sounds like tabular data.

    Use the right tool for the job. For tabular data, that means HTML
    tables. CSS is the wrong tool.

    If the data is not tabular, then rows and columns have no meaning. You
    probably don't have the document structured properly to get the results
    you want. Post a URL and someone can point you in the right direction
    for your particular content.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Nov 8, 2006
  5. vitay

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Bergamot <> wrote:

    > If the data is not tabular, then rows and columns have no meaning.

    I have dreams about this statement. I think of the search for
    meaning in the meaningless, I think of the clear meaning of
    columns that contain navigation and yet are considered
    meaningless by the priests. I see hidden meaning where the
    priests don't. I am halfway to hell.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 9, 2006
  6. vitay

    Stan McCann Guest

    Bergamot <> wrote in news:4rf100Fqs3n4U1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > vitay wrote:
    >>
    >> I think is this possible to do with CSS completely like table.
    >> Table have width auto and if for example if first col of first row

    > I think you missed the point - if you're talking rows and columns, it
    > sounds like tabular data.
    >
    > Use the right tool for the job. For tabular data, that means HTML
    > tables. CSS is the wrong tool.

    You are incorrect with this statement and your statement shows a lack
    of understanding as to the difference between HTML and CSS. Of course,
    you want to use HTML tables for tabular data, but then if you wish your
    table to look a certain way, you should use CSS to style the table to
    look as you want just as you would with any paragraph, div, or
    whatever.

    You may be confusing the tables for layout argument in your above
    statement. HTML is the right tool for the job of marking up a page.
    CSS is the right tool for the job of styling the HTML.

    Someone probably has already, but what the OP wants is possibly
    something like this for his CSS:

    table{ border:thin solid black }
    td { border:thin solid black }

    Maybe adding some attributes to the td such as:

    td{ border:thin solid black; border-collapse:collapse;
    empty-cells:show }

    --
    Stan McCann, RETIRED!!, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
    Implementing negative score for googlegroup postings, see
    Stan McCann, Nov 9, 2006
  7. vitay

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Stan McCann wrote:

    > Someone probably has already, but what the OP wants is possibly
    > something like this for his CSS:

    [...]

    That might be so, but without a URL we can but rely on our crystal balls
    and tea leaves. In many cases, as with this one, the question is so
    ambiguous that any answer will be a stab in the dark at best, and a stab
    in the back at worst.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
    against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.
    Dylan Parry, Nov 9, 2006
  8. vitay

    Bergamot Guest

    Stan McCann wrote:
    > Bergamot <> wrote in news:4rf100Fqs3n4U1
    > @mid.individual.net:
    >
    >> Use the right tool for the job. For tabular data, that means HTML
    >> tables. CSS is the wrong tool.

    > You are incorrect with this statement and your statement shows a lack
    > of understanding as to the difference between HTML and CSS.

    I am fully aware of the differences. My point was that laying out
    tabular data with CSS instead of HTML tables is the wrong way to go.
    From his example, that's what it appeared he was trying to do.

    > what the OP wants is possibly...

    As Mr Parry says, what the OP wants is a shot in the dark, since he has
    not provided enough info to give a solid answer. I requested a URL so
    we'd know better what he has, thus what direction to go. That's better
    than guessing without sufficient info, don't you think? ;)

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Nov 9, 2006
  9. vitay

    Stan McCann Guest

    Bergamot <> wrote in

    > Stan McCann wrote:
    >> Bergamot <> wrote in news:4rf100Fqs3n4U1
    >> @mid.individual.net:
    >>
    >>> Use the right tool for the job. For tabular data, that means HTML
    >>> tables. CSS is the wrong tool.

    >> You are incorrect with this statement and your statement shows a
    >> lack of understanding as to the difference between HTML and CSS.

    > I am fully aware of the differences. My point was that laying out
    > tabular data with CSS instead of HTML tables is the wrong way to go.
    > From his example, that's what it appeared he was trying to do.

    You might should have worded your statement differently. The way it
    was worded shows a misunderstanding of HTML and CSS. Since you meant
    that tables should not be used for layout, you could have said so
    eliminating misunderstandings such as mine.

    >> what the OP wants is possibly...

    > As Mr Parry says, what the OP wants is a shot in the dark, since he
    > has not provided enough info to give a solid answer. I requested a
    > URL so we'd know better what he has, thus what direction to go.
    > That's better than guessing without sufficient info, don't you
    > think? ;)

    You are both correct here. I ASSumed from his example using
    "borders," the characters between cells. I also ASSumed because I've
    seen the "how do I make tables with borders using CSS?" so often. I
    know better than to assume making an ass of myself too.</head hung in
    shame> ;)

    Stan McCann, Nov 9, 2006