CSS Tableless Layout Challenge > Going out to all Gurus !!!

Silkster

Hi Everyone... hope your all well..

I was hoping somebody out there could help me out with this one..
Iam not a CSS newbie but Iam working alone and struggling with a few
css layout issues..
Iam sure we have all been there...

Right I am designing a site in XHTML Trans.
I have been doing OK I but have some fundamental problems...

I need the site to work in IE: 5/5.5/6/7 & Netscape 6/7/8 & Firefox
1/1.5/2 & Opera 7/8/9 and Mozzila

The layout needs to be mixed columns:

Left Fixed (Left Align 150px)
The Center gets complex (its fluid mixed)...
Senario 1* 3 cols (Stretchy>right and left with a center fixed of
20px) like this> []-[]
also on the same page I have
Senario 2* 5 cols (3xStrechy>right, left and center with 2 columns
fixed at 20px) like this> []-[]-[]
Right Fixed (Right Align 150px)

Pages on the site vary in coplexity and layout but If I can nail this
bit think I could get the rest covered.

Anybody think Iam mad or just a touch ambitious
here is a site that does the 1* senario <http://www.ebuyer.com/>
cant find one the does the 2* senario or that mixes the 2 senarios...

I have done OK so far and got it to work, but IE 5/5.5 box model probs
is driving me nuts
so I thik I need to go back to basics

HOPE YA CAN HELP!!!
Respect
Silkster

mbstevens

Silkster said:
Left Fixed (Left Align 150px)
The Center gets complex (its fluid mixed)...
Senario 1* 3 cols (Stretchy>right and left with a center fixed of
20px) like this> []-[]
also on the same page I have
Senario 2* 5 cols (3xStrechy>right, left and center with 2 columns
fixed at 20px) like this> []-[]-[]

3 column:

http://www.glish.com/css/
http://www.realworldstyle.com/

5 column:

Do 3 column, but use a container for the
center column. Within that container do 3
column again.

Silkster

Doesnt work!!
IE 5x has prob with they widths they dont stretch
Silkster said:
Left Fixed (Left Align 150px)
The Center gets complex (its fluid mixed)...
Senario 1* 3 cols (Stretchy>right and left with a center fixed of
20px) like this> []-[]
also on the same page I have
Senario 2* 5 cols (3xStrechy>right, left and center with 2 columns
fixed at 20px) like this> []-[]-[]

3 column:

http://www.glish.com/css/
http://www.realworldstyle.com/

5 column:

Do 3 column, but use a container for the
center column. Within that container do 3
column again.

Andy Dingley

Silkster said:
I need the site to work in IE: 5/5.5/6/7 & Netscape 6/7/8 & Firefox
1/1.5/2 & Opera 7/8/9 and Mozzila

Stop chasing pixel-perfect accuracy in IE5 Clueiron the management
until they appreciate this.

Anyone still using IE5 / Windows has already had their CC details
lifted so often that they've no money left and so can't shop with you.
Even M$oft accept that IE5/Mac is dead.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Silkster said:
Right I am designing a site in XHTML Trans.

Why are you not using Strict? Transitional is for legacy documents.
Switch to Strict and maybe your problems will go away...

Oh, and you probably should not be using _X_html for all the reasons
mentioned here frequently.