css test

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Eddy Long, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. Eddy Long

    Eddy Long Guest

    Greetings,
    I'd like to have the links in the body copy in bold face Verdana with no
    underline so that when the user mouses over them - the word becomes
    underlined in green.

    It works on IE 5.5 - but on some versions of IE the link is underlined to a
    default blue. Not sure why that is.

    The html snippet is below - could a few on this NG please test on their
    browsers.
    Thank you for your time.

    E.
    ------------------------------------

    <head>
    </head>
    #copy{position:absolute;
    top:5%;
    left:2%;
    width: 70%;
    padding:1em;
    border-top: 1px solid green;
    border-bottom: 1px solid green;
    border-right: 1px solid green;
    border-left: 1px solid green;
    }

    #copy {
    font-family:verdana;
    font-size:.75em;
    }

    #copy A:link: {font-family:verdana;
    text-decoration:none;
    font-weight:bold;
    color:#606060;
    }

    #copy A:visited:{text-decoration:none;
    font-weight:bold;
    color:#606060;}

    #copy A:hover:{text-decoration:underline;
    color:green}

    Hi. This is a test page.<br>
    Goodbye.
    Eddy Long, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Eddy Long

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Eddy Long

    Neal Guest

    Eddy:
    > I'd like to have the links in the body copy in bold face Verdana with no
    > underline so that when the user mouses over them - the word becomes
    > underlined in green.

    And how does the user even know to hover over this otherwise unmarked text?

    > It works on IE 5.5 - but on some versions of IE the link is underlined
    > to a
    > default blue. Not sure why that is.

    Not sure what versions you're referring to.

    > The html snippet is below - could a few on this NG please test on their
    > browsers.
    > Thank you for your time.

    I would if you'd simply upload it someplace. As it stands I need to copy,
    paste, save, then navigate to the new file with the browser. If you upload
    it and provide a URL it simplifies my life considerably.

    But what I can tell you now:

    > #copy {
    > font-family:verdana;
    > font-size:.75em;
    > }

    Verdana is a poor choice for web use, especially at this size. If I do not
    have Verdana, what does my browser use instead? And how tiny and
    unreadable will that font be?

    Remember, Verdana can be more easily read at small sizes, but not all
    users have Verdana. Therefore, don't serve Verdana (or any font) at sizes
    smaller than 1em or 100%. (With rare exception, such as legalese, etc.)

    > #copy A:link: {font-family:verdana;
    > text-decoration:none;
    > font-weight:bold;
    > color:#606060;
    > }

    The font-family will be inherited from #copy anyhow, so this first
    declaration is unnecessary. And taking away the underline removes the
    obvious cue that it's a link. Yes, you've bolded it and greyed it instead,
    but now the user needs to forget wat they know and learn a whole new
    procedure for your site. I doubt the content is really worth it. Even
    Google leaves links underlined.

    I can't say what the problem is, but with a URL we can see it in a lot of
    environments and perhaps figure it out.
    Neal, Dec 6, 2004
  4. Eddy Long

    Richard Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Previously in alt.html, Eddy Long <eddy@NO_att_SPAM.net> said:

    >> Greetings,

    > G'day.

    >> It works on IE 5.5 - but on some versions of IE the link is underlined
    >> to a default blue. Not sure why that is.

    > http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you

    >> The html snippet is below

    > Where's the URL?

    Is that all you know? Copy and paste the code into an editor and check it
    out yourself.
    Richard, Dec 7, 2004
  5. Eddy Long

    Richard Guest

    Neal wrote:

    > Eddy:
    >> I'd like to have the links in the body copy in bold face Verdana with no
    >> underline so that when the user mouses over them - the word becomes
    >> underlined in green.

    > And how does the user even know to hover over this otherwise unmarked
    > text?

    They don't. I've never seen a web page yet that says....."Hover mouse here".
    Idiot.

    >> It works on IE 5.5 - but on some versions of IE the link is underlined
    >> to a
    >> default blue. Not sure why that is.

    > Not sure what versions you're referring to.

    What I'd like to know is, how does he get other versions to work on one
    machine?
    In earlier versions, they probably never heard of CSS.

    >> The html snippet is below - could a few on this NG please test on their
    >> browsers.
    >> Thank you for your time.

    > I would if you'd simply upload it someplace. As it stands I need to copy,
    > paste, save, then navigate to the new file with the browser. If you
    > upload it and provide a URL it simplifies my life considerably.

    What is so wrong with putting the code into an editor and creating your own
    html file?
    Not everyone has access to a website.
    Maybe he's doing this for himself to learn.

    Richard, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Eddy Long

    Neal Guest

    Richard:
    > Neal:
    > > And how does the user even know to hover over this otherwise unmarked
    > > text?

    > They don't. I've never seen a web page yet that says....."Hover mouse
    > here".

    What does the underline mean to users? Why was <u> deprecated? Why does
    every expert warn you not to use underlines when it isn't a link, and not
    to use links without a clear and obvious marking which the user will
    associate with a link? Except for navigation buttons (which are another
    standard way to mark a link, but which won't really work well in the midle
    of text), underlining is that marking.

    The underline does indeed say "Hover mouse here" - it's a convention that
    you need a damn good reason to run afoul of in competent web design.

    > Idiot.

    Asshat.

    > What I'd like to know is, how does he get other versions to work on one
    > machine?
    > In earlier versions, they probably never heard of CSS.

    That's just it - anything before 5.0 won't do anything resembling CSS, and
    even 5.0 has major issues. Is he referring to 6.0?

    > What is so wrong with putting the code into an editor and creating your
    > own
    > html file?
    > Not everyone has access to a website.
    > Maybe he's doing this for himself to learn.

    It's not considerate of my time, nor of anyone's time, to make everyone go
    through the steps when you could have. As far as access to a free server,
    seriously, free webspace has been around for over a decade. For the
    purposes of this situation, even Geocities is more than adequate.

    My point is, and remains, that when you need to post more than a snippet
    or two, it's simpler to upload a simplified test case
    Neal, Dec 7, 2004