css, the irony of

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Martin Johansen, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Why, why is css NOT formatted in XML itself?

    Martin Johansen, Jan 4, 2005

  2. In article <GiECd.2693$>, says...
    > Why, why is css NOT formatted in XML itself?

    Is CSS a data format?

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 4, 2005

  3. On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:56:49 +0100, Martin Johansen wrote:

    > Why, why is css NOT formatted in XML itself?

    The obvious reason is that CSS1 was released as a recommendation in 1996,
    while XML 1.0 was first released as a recommendation in 1998.

    Brendan Taylor, Jan 5, 2005
  4. On 1/4/2005 10:56 PM Martin Johansen spoke thusly
    > Why, why is css NOT formatted in XML itself?

    A: CSS defines a set of rules to format (X)HTML documents.
    A: XSL(T) is a language for transforming XML using XML syntax.

    So you could then also ask: why is HTML not a according the XML syntax?
    The answer would then be: it's sort of, but not really. Only XHTML is
    really a subset of XML.

    bernhard
    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 5, 2005
  5. While the city slept, Martin Johansen () feverishly typed...

    > Why, why is css NOT formatted in XML itself?

    More to the point... why are the instructions to build a flat-pack wardrobe
    not written in English[1]? ;-)

    [1] Insert your own native language here where appropriate

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Martin Johansen

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Martin Johansen wrote:

    > Why, why is css NOT formatted in XML itself?

    Because CSS is not just designed to suggest styling hints for XML only --
    it is a general styling language for any structured information.

    e.g. I could write a text editor that uses CSS to describe
    syntax-highlighting rules for Perl:

    @media "Perl" {
    * {
    color: black;