CSS: Transparency also in Opera-Browser?

Daniel Müller

Hello there!

There are the styles "filter:alpha(opacity=80)" for the Internet Explorer
and "-moz-opacity: 0.8" for Netscape/Mozilla.
Is there also a way to get transparency-effects for the Opera-Browser?

*Daniel*

Mitja

Daniel Müller said:
Hello there!

There are the styles "filter:alpha(opacity=80)" for the
Internet Explorer and "-moz-opacity: 0.8" for
Netscape/Mozilla.
Is there also a way to get transparency-effects for the
Opera-Browser?

Make the image itself half-transparent: PNG supports that. You'll have to use some extra trickery to have IE display these PNGs as
it should - look for it on Google, it's not hard to find.

Mitja

Leif K-Brooks

Daniel said:
There are the styles "filter:alpha(opacity=80)" for the Internet Explorer
and "-moz-opacity: 0.8" for Netscape/Mozilla.
Is there also a way to get transparency-effects for the Opera-Browser?

Not as far as I (and Google) know. But you'd be better off trying to use
non-standard approaches like that: even if you got it to work in Opera,
you'd have to worry about KHTML after that, and probably something else
too. Wait until there's a standard.

Leif K-Brooks

Mitja said:
Make the image itself half-transparent: PNG supports that. You'll have to use some extra trickery to have IE display these PNGs as
it should - look for it on Google, it's not hard to find.

What makes you think Daniel is using an image?

Daniel Müller

But you'd be better off trying to use non-standard approaches like that:
Why did I expect at least one of such a reply... ;-)
you'd have to worry about KHTML after that, and probably something else
too. Wait until there's a standard.
Well it's only used for some fancy things, nothing really that important,
like usability or something,
So that is why, I wanted a little bit transparency on my tags, also in
Opera.

*Daniel*

Toby Inkster

Daniel said:
There are the styles "filter:alpha(opacity=80)" for the Internet Explorer
and "-moz-opacity: 0.8" for Netscape/Mozilla.
Is there also a way to get transparency-effects for the Opera-Browser?

No, but Konqueror and Safari have "-kthml-opacity: 0.8".

If/when Opera does support transparency, it will probably use either the
proposed CSS 3 property "opacity: 0.8" or "-o-opacity: 0.8" which is the
prefix they use for experimental features. So you might as well put them
in your CSS to prepare for the future.

Mitja

Daniel Müller said:
Yes, I didn't want to use images... ;-)

*Lars*

It's Lars now?

Still, you can use a css hack to use filter:alpha for IE, and background:url('mysemitransparentimage.png') for other browsers. This
solution isn't always applicable, but I hope it solves your particular problem.

Daniel Müller

Toby Inkster said:
No, but Konqueror and Safari have "-kthml-opacity: 0.8".

If/when Opera does support transparency, it will probably use either the
proposed CSS 3 property "opacity: 0.8" or "-o-opacity: 0.8" which is the
prefix they use for experimental features. So you might as well put them
in your CSS to prepare for the future.

Thanx for your posting. That's it - so far ;-)

*Daniel*

Daniel Müller

Mitja said:
It's Lars now?
My full name ist Lars-Daniel...
Still, you can use a css hack to use filter:alpha for IE,
and background:url('mysemitransparentimage.png') for other browsers. This
solution isn't always applicable, but I hope it solves your particular
problem.
But I don't really speak about PNGs and IE. But anyway, thanks voor your