    Any ideas how to fix this?

    Matthew

    , Aug 31, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > On my site, I have this added as a temporary workaround:
    >
    > #wrapper {
    > border:1px solid black;
    > }

    What is the purpose of the #wrapper?

    I removed the:

    #wrapper {
    position:relative; <-- this

    and the problem went away.

    > If I take it off, in Firefox the whole site is offset about 10em from
    > the top of the page.
    > www.osbornewood.com
    >
    > Any ideas how to fix this?

    You'll want to take a look at the rest of the errors, as well.
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.osbornewood.com%2F>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Paul Watt Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On my site, I have this added as a temporary workaround:
    >
    > #wrapper {
    > border:1px solid black;
    > }
    >
    > If I take it off, in Firefox the whole site is offset about 10em from
    > the top of the page.
    > www.osbornewood.com
    >
    > Any ideas how to fix this?
    >
    > Matthew

    Have you tried (without me looking at your code, too lazy!);
    body {margin:0;
    padding:0;}

    --
    Cheers

    Paul
    le singe est dans l'arbre
    http://www.paulwatt.info

    Paul Watt, Aug 31, 2006

    The #wrapper is for making a footer stay at the bottom:
    http://scott.sauyet.com/CSS/Demo/FooterDemo1.html

    I'm still working on getting that one right, though...

    Matthew

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On my site, I have this added as a temporary workaround:
    > >
    > > #wrapper {
    > > border:1px solid black;
    > > }

    > What is the purpose of the #wrapper?
    >
    > I removed the:
    >
    > #wrapper {
    > position:relative; <-- this
    >
    > and the problem went away.
    >

    > > If I take it off, in Firefox the whole site is offset about 10em from
    > > the top of the page.
    > > www.osbornewood.com
    > >
    > > Any ideas how to fix this?

    > You'll want to take a look at the rest of the errors, as well.
    > <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.osbornewood.com%2F>
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck.

    , Aug 31, 2006

    Paul Watt wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > On my site, I have this added as a temporary workaround:
    > >
    > > #wrapper {
    > > border:1px solid black;
    > > }
    > >
    > > If I take it off, in Firefox the whole site is offset about 10em from
    > > the top of the page.
    > > www.osbornewood.com
    > >
    > > Any ideas how to fix this?
    > >
    > > Matthew
    > >

    > Have you tried (without me looking at your code, too lazy!);
    > body {margin:0;
    > padding:0;}
    >

    > --
    > Cheers
    >
    > Paul
    > le singe est dans l'arbre
    > http://www.paulwatt.info

    Nope, that's not it.

    Matthew

    , Aug 31, 2006
  6. wrote:
    > Paul Watt wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> On my site, I have this added as a temporary workaround:
    >>>
    >>> #wrapper {
    >>> border:1px solid black;
    >>> }
    >>>
    >>> If I take it off, in Firefox the whole site is offset about 10em from
    >>> the top of the page.
    >>> www.osbornewood.com
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas how to fix this?
    >>>
    >>> Matthew
    >>>

    >> Have you tried (without me looking at your code, too lazy!);
    >> body {margin:0;
    >> padding:0;}
    >>

    > Nope, that's not it.
    >
    > Matthew

    Matthew as BTS suggested, fix your markup errors first. If you have
    errors and your are relying on the browser to 'guess' what you meant,
    how things display can be very unpredictable. Also each browser can
    'guess' and come to a different conclusion compounding the problem! I
    can see quickly that you are using HTML but no DOCTYPE you should att
    this at the top:

    Next you have several places where you are using XHTML style closing for
    a tag, this is invalid for HTML so:

    should be:

    Lastly you have some nesting errors and at least one paragraph where you
    have a closing '</p>' tag but was not opened.

    Use the validator as BTS has shown you

    http://validator.w3.org

    Fix your markup and then come back and we may be able to spot your trouble.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO