    --
    Take Care, Sharon Lane
    http://www.rare-cancer.orgAny advice/suggestions?

    Sharon, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Sharon <> wrote:
    > Can someone steer me in the right direction for CSS instructions on
    > making your websites usable by the visually impaired?

    http://www.diveintoaccessibility.org/by_disability.html has quite a few
    tips. There's a few out-of-date examples, but it's mostly good.

    The CSS aural styles look helpful, but I hear from a few people that they
    aren't well implemeneted now. Nevertheless, I would still make use of ones
    like speak,. speak-punctuation, and speak-numeral. More at
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/aural.html

    > (I am new to CSS) I have read about utilizing the em attribute
    > to allow resizing of website text on IE

    There isn't an em attribute, but there is an em tag (terminology
    differences, you see). Text enclosed in the em tag is given special emphasis
    when spoken or rendered visually. Behaviour is browser specific.

    > but the book I have says that this will not be
    > rendered properly on Netscape or other browsers.

    Em (and it's cousin strong) are rendered fine by nearly all browsers.

    > I want to be able
    > to have a website where people can view the text in a 'normal' font
    > size. But those who are visually impaired can see the text in a
    > larger font size if they use the IE View > Text Size > Largest or the
    > equivalent selection on Netscape.

    If you want people to have control over the text size, then it's best not to
    specify one at all. If you want some changes here and there, use percentages
    along with the font-size CSS property. Most importantly, stay away from
    sizes specified in pixels or points, since these cannot be scaled to larger,
    largest, etc. in IE. See
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#propdef-font-size for reference
    info.
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Sharon

    Firas D. Guest

    Michael Wilcox wrote:
    > Sharon <> wrote:
    >
    >>(I am new to CSS) I have read about utilizing the em attribute
    >>to allow resizing of website text on IE

    > There isn't an em attribute, but there is an em tag (terminology
    > differences, you see). Text enclosed in the em tag is given special emphasis
    > when spoken or rendered visually. Behaviour is browser specific.

    I think she meant 'em' as a unit of text size.

    Firas D., Feb 22, 2004
  4. While the city slept, Michael Wilcox <>
    feverishly typed:

    > Sharon <> wrote:

    [...]
    >> (I am new to CSS) I have read about utilizing the em attribute
    >> to allow resizing of website text on IE

    > There isn't an em attribute, but there is an em tag (terminology
    > differences, you see). Text enclosed in the em tag is given special
    > emphasis when spoken or rendered visually. Behaviour is browser
    > specific.

    I think the OP is referring to em as a unit of font-size, not the em
    (emphasis) element.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Feb 22, 2004
  5. nice.guy.nige <> wrote:
    > I think the OP is referring to em as a unit of font-size, not the em
    > (emphasis) element.

    Well, my advice still stands. The em element is a good thing, the em font
    thingy is a good thing.
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Feb 23, 2004
  6. While the city slept, Michael Wilcox <>
    feverishly typed:

    > nice.guy.nige <> wrote:
    >> I think the OP is referring to em as a unit of font-size, not the em
    >> (emphasis) element.

    > Well, my advice still stands. The em element is a good thing, the em
    > font thingy is a good thing.

    Good things all round, then! :)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Feb 23, 2004
  7. Sharon

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:43:38 -0000, "nice.guy.nige"
    <> wrote:

    >> Well, my advice still stands. The em element is a good thing, the em
    >> font thingy is a good thing.

    >Good things all round, then! :)

    You can't go around agreeing with each other !
    This is an alt.* group !

    What will the neighbours think ?

    Andy Dingley, Feb 24, 2004