CSS Warning when using text-justify

Deryck

Hi,

I have a XHTML file and CSS file, both of which validate without errors but
the CSS validator gives a single warning:

" Line : 0 property text-justify does not exist for this profile, but is
validated conforming to another profile "

The offending lines of code are:

..cont {

text-align: justify;
text-justify: auto;

}

If anyone could explain why I get this message I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Deryck

David Dorward

Deryck said:
I have a XHTML file and CSS file, both of which validate without errors
but the CSS validator gives a single warning:

" Line : 0 property text-justify does not exist for this profile, but is
validated conforming to another profile "

You told it to check against CSS 2, but text-justify isn't part of CSS 2. It
is part of the CSS 3 draft.

e n | c k m a

If anyone could explain why I get this message I'd be grateful.

What the hell is text-justify? Get rid of it, it's not doing anything and
AFAIK it doesn't currently exist.

Hope that helps,

Nick.

Deryck

David Dorward said:
You told it to check against CSS 2, but text-justify isn't part of CSS 2. It
is part of the CSS 3 draft.

Blimey, that was quick. Thank you David. Is there anything in CSS2 that
would acheive the same effect?

Cheers

Deryck

David Dorward

Deryck said:
Blimey, that was quick. Thank you David. Is there anything in CSS2 that
would acheive the same effect?

Not haven't gotten around to reading about it in CSS 3 - I don't know. I'd
hazard a guess that there isn't though - otherwise there wouldn't be much
point in adding the property!

Toby Inkster

Deryck said:
Blimey, that was quick. Thank you David. Is there anything in CSS2 that
would acheive the same effect?

You were using "text-justify:auto" which is default I think. Just leave it
out.

Deryck

Toby Inkster said:
You were using "text-justify:auto" which is default I think. Just leave it
out.

Hey you're right! :) Many thanks. So....if I try to override the default
value with the default value I get a warning. Hmmm.....

Deryck

David Dorward

Deryck said:
Hey you're right! :) Many thanks. So....if I try to override the default
value with the default value I get a warning. Hmmm.....

It isn't the default in CSS2, it doesn't exist in CSS2.

Jukka K. Korpela

e n | c k m a said:
What the hell is text-justify?

A Microsoft extension, see
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/
textjustify.asp>
which is making its way into CSS 3.
Get rid of it, it's not doing anything

It does, though setting it explicitly to the default value normally has
no effect.

The real problem is text-align: justify. People use it because they think
justified text looks better. But this is generally a mistake, see
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/justify.html
and AFAIK it doesn't currently exist.

Well, let's not get ontological. Ontologies are for weenies.