CSS Warning when using text-justify

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Deryck, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. Deryck

    Deryck Guest

    Hi,

    I have a XHTML file and CSS file, both of which validate without errors but
    the CSS validator gives a single warning:

    " Line : 0 property text-justify does not exist for this profile, but is
    validated conforming to another profile "

    The offending lines of code are:

    ..cont {

    text-align: justify;
    text-justify: auto;

    }

    If anyone could explain why I get this message I'd be grateful.

    Thanks

    Deryck

    Deryck, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Deryck wrote:

    > I have a XHTML file and CSS file, both of which validate without errors
    > but the CSS validator gives a single warning:
    >
    > " Line : 0 property text-justify does not exist for this profile, but is
    > validated conforming to another profile "

    You told it to check against CSS 2, but text-justify isn't part of CSS 2. It
    is part of the CSS 3 draft.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Aug 14, 2004

  3. > If anyone could explain why I get this message I'd be grateful.

    What the hell is text-justify? Get rid of it, it's not doing anything and
    AFAIK it doesn't currently exist.

    Hope that helps,

    Nick.

    e n | c k m a, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Deryck

    Deryck Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in message

    > You told it to check against CSS 2, but text-justify isn't part of CSS 2.

    It
    > is part of the CSS 3 draft.

    Blimey, that was quick. Thank you David. Is there anything in CSS2 that
    would acheive the same effect?

    Cheers

    Deryck

    Deryck, Aug 14, 2004
  5. Deryck wrote:

    > Blimey, that was quick. Thank you David. Is there anything in CSS2 that
    > would acheive the same effect?

    Not haven't gotten around to reading about it in CSS 3 - I don't know. I'd
    hazard a guess that there isn't though - otherwise there wouldn't be much
    point in adding the property!

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Aug 14, 2004
  6. Deryck

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Deryck wrote:

    > Blimey, that was quick. Thank you David. Is there anything in CSS2 that
    > would acheive the same effect?

    You were using "text-justify:auto" which is default I think. Just leave it
    out.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Deryck

    Deryck Guest

    "Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message

    > You were using "text-justify:auto" which is default I think. Just leave it
    > out.

    Hey you're right! :) Many thanks. So....if I try to override the default
    value with the default value I get a warning. Hmmm.....

    Deryck

    Deryck, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Deryck wrote:

    > Hey you're right! :) Many thanks. So....if I try to override the default
    > value with the default value I get a warning. Hmmm.....

    It isn't the default in CSS2, it doesn't exist in CSS2.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Aug 14, 2004
  9. Deryck

    > It isn't the default in CSS2, it doesn't exist in CSS2.

    I'm going to read the specs...I may be some time.

    Deryck

    Deryck, Aug 14, 2004
  10. Deryck

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Deryck wrote:

    > I'm going to read the specs...I may be some time.

    Yes, Captain Oates.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 14, 2004
  11. "e n | c k m a" <> wrote:

    > What the hell is text-justify?

    A Microsoft extension, see
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/
    textjustify.asp>
    which is making its way into CSS 3.

    > Get rid of it, it's not doing anything

    It does, though setting it explicitly to the default value normally has
    no effect.

    The real problem is text-align: justify. People use it because they think
    justified text looks better. But this is generally a mistake, see
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/justify.html

    > and AFAIK it doesn't currently exist.

    Well, let's not get ontological. Ontologies are for weenies.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 14, 2004