CSS width property problem with western european characters

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ron.tornambe@bunkerhill.com, Jun 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    When specifying a width property within a CSS style, data that contains
    special characters (ex. umlauts) causes the data to be separated by
    spaces . When I remove the width property, the data is presented
    correctly.

    Interestingly, I cut and pasted the following word (which was one
    continous word - Tunnbröd ) into this message and the problem arose:
    Tunnbr ö d

    How do I remove the white-space?

    TIA,
    Ron in SF
     
    , Jun 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Els Guest

    wrote:

    > When specifying a width property within a CSS style, data that contains
    > special characters (ex. umlauts) causes the data to be separated by
    > spaces . When I remove the width property, the data is presented
    > correctly.
    >
    > Interestingly, I cut and pasted the following word (which was one
    > continous word - Tunnbröd ) into this message and the problem arose:
    > Tunnbr ö d


    Can you show the problem page? Might help with detecting the problem
    :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    accessible web design: http://locusoptimus.com/
     
    Els, Jun 14, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Philip Guest

    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > When specifying a width property within a CSS style, data that contains
    > special characters (ex. umlauts) causes the data to be separated by
    > spaces . When I remove the width property, the data is presented
    > correctly.
    >
    > Interestingly, I cut and pasted the following word (which was one
    > continous word - Tunnbröd ) into this message and the problem arose:
    > Tunnbr ö d
    >
    > How do I remove the white-space?


    Ron,
    Without a real example, I can only guess, but this smells like an
    encoding problem. Wild guess -- are you using Windows notepad and saving
    as "Unicode"?

    Do post an example as Els recommended.

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Bulk HTML validation, link checking and more
     
    Philip, Jun 14, 2006
    #3
  4. Guest

    Thanks for the reply Philip.

    The data is coming from a MS-SQL database with mixed English/Western
    Euorpean character data in some fields. The html is generated by
    Crystal Reports that references CSS styles and an html wrapper I have
    supplied. The reason for including the width property in the CSS style
    is to work-around a quirk that prevents text-alignment from working
    unless the width pproperty is supplied. Crystal is breaking the field
    (ProductName, ex. Tunnbröd) into multiple <td>...<td> (one for each
    special character) resulting in the erroneous spacing.

    Here's a link to the html file:
    http://www.bunkerhill.com/dev/ViewReport_Invoice.html

    If you look under the Product Name: column, you'll see the problem. The
    CSS style is cssStlye0036. You can search for ProductName or ö to see
    the code.

    I really appreciate your help. Thanks!
    Ron

    Philip wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "" <> wrote:
    >
    > > When specifying a width property within a CSS style, data that contains
    > > special characters (ex. umlauts) causes the data to be separated by
    > > spaces . When I remove the width property, the data is presented
    > > correctly.
    > >
    > > Interestingly, I cut and pasted the following word (which was one
    > > continous word - Tunnbröd ) into this message and the problem arose:
    > > Tunnbr ö d
    > >
    > > How do I remove the white-space?

    >
    > Ron,
    > Without a real example, I can only guess, but this smells like an
    > encoding problem. Wild guess -- are you using Windows notepad and saving
    > as "Unicode"?
    >
    > Do post an example as Els recommended.
    >
    > --
    > Philip
    > http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    > Bulk HTML validation, link checking and more
     
    , Jun 14, 2006
    #4
  5. Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply Philip.
    >
    > The data is coming from a MS-SQL database with mixed English/Western
    > Euorpean character data in some fields. The html is generated by
    > Crystal Reports that references CSS styles and an html wrapper I have
    > supplied. The reason for including the width property in the CSS style
    > is to work-around a quirk that prevents text-alignment from working
    > unless the width pproperty is supplied. Crystal is breaking the field
    > (ProductName, ex. Tunnbröd) into multiple <td>...<td> (one for each
    > special character) resulting in the erroneous spacing.
    >
    > Here's a link to the html file:
    > http://www.bunkerhill.com/dev/ViewReport_Invoice.html
    >
    > If you look under the Product Name: column, you'll see the problem. The
    > CSS style is cssStlye0036. You can search for ProductName or ö to see
    > the code.


    Ron,
    There's two immediate problems here. The first is that you're
    delivering UTF-8 data but labeling it as ISO-8859-1 in a META tag. The
    characters don't display correctly at all for me (using Firefox) unless
    I force the encoding to UTF-8.

    The second problem is that cssStyle0036 specifies "WIDTH: 2.0521in" and
    that style is applied to the o-with-umlaut that's in tunbrod. That
    forces that single character to be 2 inches wide, although who knows
    what an "inch" means on a computer screen. &diety; knows what Crystal
    Reports thinks it is doing here. Good luck hammering it into behaving
    nicely.

    Bye

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Bulk HTML validation, link checking and more


    > Philip wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > "" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > When specifying a width property within a CSS style, data that contains
    > > > special characters (ex. umlauts) causes the data to be separated by
    > > > spaces . When I remove the width property, the data is presented
    > > > correctly.
    > > >
    > > > Interestingly, I cut and pasted the following word (which was one
    > > > continous word - Tunnbröd ) into this message and the problem arose:
    > > > Tunnbr ö d
    > > >
    > > > How do I remove the white-space?

    > >
    > > Ron,
    > > Without a real example, I can only guess, but this smells like an
    > > encoding problem. Wild guess -- are you using Windows notepad and saving
    > > as "Unicode"?
    > >
    > > Do post an example as Els recommended.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Philip
    > > http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    > > Bulk HTML validation, link checking and more
     
    , Jun 15, 2006
    #5
  6. Guest

    The meta tag was a left-over from various stabs at resolving the
    problem that sired the inclusion of the width property. The orignal
    problem was that the text-align attribute is not applied. The Crystal
    html does specify the style in the <td>..</td> and all other style
    attributes are applied, but the text-align has no effect. Any ideas
    about this is appreciated.

    tks

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Thanks for the reply Philip.
    > >
    > > The data is coming from a MS-SQL database with mixed English/Western
    > > Euorpean character data in some fields. The html is generated by
    > > Crystal Reports that references CSS styles and an html wrapper I have
    > > supplied. The reason for including the width property in the CSS style
    > > is to work-around a quirk that prevents text-alignment from working
    > > unless the width pproperty is supplied. Crystal is breaking the field
    > > (ProductName, ex. Tunnbröd) into multiple <td>...<td> (one for each
    > > special character) resulting in the erroneous spacing.
    > >
    > > Here's a link to the html file:
    > > http://www.bunkerhill.com/dev/ViewReport_Invoice.html
    > >
    > > If you look under the Product Name: column, you'll see the problem. The
    > > CSS style is cssStlye0036. You can search for ProductName or ö to see
    > > the code.

    >
    > Ron,
    > There's two immediate problems here. The first is that you're
    > delivering UTF-8 data but labeling it as ISO-8859-1 in a META tag. The
    > characters don't display correctly at all for me (using Firefox) unless
    > I force the encoding to UTF-8.
    >
    > The second problem is that cssStyle0036 specifies "WIDTH: 2.0521in" and
    > that style is applied to the o-with-umlaut that's in tunbrod. That
    > forces that single character to be 2 inches wide, although who knows
    > what an "inch" means on a computer screen. &diety; knows what Crystal
    > Reports thinks it is doing here. Good luck hammering it into behaving
    > nicely.
    >
    > Bye
    >
    > --
    > Philip
    > http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    > Bulk HTML validation, link checking and more
    >
    >
    > > Philip wrote:
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > "" <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > When specifying a width property within a CSS style, data that contains
    > > > > special characters (ex. umlauts) causes the data to be separated by
    > > > > spaces . When I remove the width property, the data is presented
    > > > > correctly.
    > > > >
    > > > > Interestingly, I cut and pasted the following word (which was one
    > > > > continous word - Tunnbröd ) into this message and the problem arose:
    > > > > Tunnbr ö d
    > > > >
    > > > > How do I remove the white-space?
    > > >
    > > > Ron,
    > > > Without a real example, I can only guess, but this smells like an
    > > > encoding problem. Wild guess -- are you using Windows notepad and saving
    > > > as "Unicode"?
    > > >
    > > > Do post an example as Els recommended.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Philip
    > > > http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    > > > Bulk HTML validation, link checking and more
     
    , Jun 15, 2006
    #6
  7. Philip Guest

    > > wrote:
    > > > Thanks for the reply Philip.
    > > >
    > > > The data is coming from a MS-SQL database with mixed English/Western
    > > > Euorpean character data in some fields. The html is generated by
    > > > Crystal Reports that references CSS styles and an html wrapper I have
    > > > supplied. The reason for including the width property in the CSS style
    > > > is to work-around a quirk that prevents text-alignment from working
    > > > unless the width pproperty is supplied. Crystal is breaking the field
    > > > (ProductName, ex. Tunnbröd) into multiple <td>...<td> (one for each
    > > > special character) resulting in the erroneous spacing.
    > > >
    > > > Here's a link to the html file:
    > > > http://www.bunkerhill.com/dev/ViewReport_Invoice.html
    > > >
    > > > If you look under the Product Name: column, you'll see the problem. The
    > > > CSS style is cssStlye0036. You can search for ProductName or ö to see
    > > > the code.

    > >
    > > Ron,
    > > There's two immediate problems here. The first is that you're
    > > delivering UTF-8 data but labeling it as ISO-8859-1 in a META tag. The
    > > characters don't display correctly at all for me (using Firefox) unless
    > > I force the encoding to UTF-8.
    > >
    > > The second problem is that cssStyle0036 specifies "WIDTH: 2.0521in" and
    > > that style is applied to the o-with-umlaut that's in tunnbrod. That
    > > forces that single character to be 2 inches wide, although who knows
    > > what an "inch" means on a computer screen. &diety; knows what Crystal
    > > Reports thinks it is doing here. Good luck hammering it into behaving
    > > nicely.


    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:
    > The meta tag was a left-over from various stabs at resolving the
    > problem that sired the inclusion of the width property. The orignal
    > problem was that the text-align attribute is not applied. The Crystal
    > html does specify the style in the <td>..</td> and all other style
    > attributes are applied, but the text-align has no effect. Any ideas
    > about this is appreciated.


    Ron,
    First things first: PLEASE do not top-post. Here's a quick primer in
    case you're not familiar with the term:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting

    As to your most recent comments, I am confused as to why you have
    mentioned text-align. Your original question was about odd spacing
    around non-English characters. Did my suggestions solve that problem for
    you?

    In any case, I don't see a problem with the text alignment in my browser
    (Firefox 1.5). The "Product Name" column is centered, as the CSS
    suggests. If there's some other text-alignment problem you see, you'll
    have to be more specific.

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Bulk HTML validation, link checking and more
     
    Philip, Jun 15, 2006
    #7
  8. <> scripsit:

    > The reason for including the width property in the CSS style
    > is to work-around a quirk that prevents text-alignment from working
    > unless the width pproperty is supplied.


    Which quirk? And which text-alignment? A data cell in a table is
    left-aligned by default, and this is surely suitable for normal textual
    content like product name. I haven't heard of any quirks in this issue. The
    CSS code on the page is a horrendous mess, comparable to the products of
    Office software before any cleanup, so it could cause problems, but then
    _that_ should be fixed.

    > Crystal is breaking the field
    > (ProductName, ex. Tunnbröd) into multiple <td>...<td> (one for each
    > special character) resulting in the erroneous spacing.


    Well, then fix _that_. It is surely a problem, no matter what the spacing
    might be.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
     
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 15, 2006
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jeff
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    539
    Thomas Weidenfeller
    Jan 19, 2004
  2. Janošik

    Eatern-european characters

    Janošik, Oct 24, 2007, in forum: ASP General
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    149
    Janošik
    Nov 6, 2007
  3. John

    UTF8 European characters in MySQL

    John, Apr 26, 2007, in forum: Perl Misc
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    206
  4. Francois
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    219
    Joost Diepenmaat
    Dec 4, 2007
  5. Replies:
    16
    Views:
    207
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
    Feb 16, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page