CSS Width...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Peter Kupfer, Apr 17, 2005.

  1. Peter Kupfer

    Peter Kupfer Guest

    I am trying to set up essentially a frames page with CSS.

    I have a header that is 100px in height and spans the whole page. I have
    a left space that is fixed and is 115px wide. And then I want the rest
    of my text to fill in the other area.

    I created a master div called "body" that I start after the header. In
    the "body" div, I have my "left" (The skinny left area) and a "body_add"
    div that is suppose to be the rest of the info.

    The problem I have is that sometimes a scroll bar shows up on the bottom
    of the page to move the text a bit horizontally. I am not sure how to
    make this go away. I have set the width of "body_add" to 90%, but I
    don't know how accurate this is if the width of "left" is 115 px wide.

    Furthermore, I have two monitors on my system. One is 1280*1024 and the
    other 1024*768. When I switch my browser (FF) between two windows, the
    scroll bar either goes away or shows up, and if I re-fresh the page, the
    scroll bar goes away.

    Any way to eliminate the scroll bar all together?

    The page is http://openoffice.peschtra.com/ooo_tips_tricks.html

    Thanks.
    --
    Peter Kupfer
    Peter Kupfer, Apr 17, 2005

  2. Peter Kupfer schrieb:

    [snip]

    > I have a header that is 100px in height and spans the whole page. I have
    > a left space that is fixed and is 115px wide. And then I want the rest
    > of my text to fill in the other area.
    >
    > I created a master div called "body" that I start after the header. In
    > the "body" div, I have my "left" (The skinny left area) and a "body_add"
    > div that is suppose to be the rest of the info.

    Set the body div to width:100%
    The "left" has to float:left; width:115px; as you did.
    The "boddy_add" has *only* a margin-left, *no* width and *no* left:140px;.

    Take a look at this
    http://de.selfhtml.org/css/layouts/mehrspaltige.htm

    and the scroll bar will disappear.

    [snip]

    > The page is http://openoffice.peschtra.com/ooo_tips_tricks.html
    >
    > Thanks.

    HTH Ralf
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ralf_M=F6rler?=, Apr 18, 2005