CSS z-index query

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Russell, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    I am not sure if this is the right forum for this type of question, so I ask
    with trepidation...

    I have a site (sample at: http://www.kiriath-arba.com/aquiva/) which I am
    trying to develop.

    The problem I am having is in the positioning of the logo (top left). As it
    is on the website, it appears perfectly on IE, but the logo does not appear
    on Netscape/Firefox, etc. (Haven't tried Opera yet...too depressed)

    The crux of the problem is that the logo image, due to the thin line
    dangling down the page means that if I had everything on the same z-index,
    then it covers the top line or two of text. to resolve this, I added a
    z-index to my stylesheet (http://www.kiriath-arba.com/aquiva/aquiva.css) and
    tried to put the image on z-index: 1 and the body on z-index:2. This did
    nothing at all.

    After playing around, I discovered that if I made the image z-index: -1,
    then it worked on IE, but disappeared completely from Netscape/Firefox

    what should I be doing to get the thing working properly? I am getting
    somewhat frustrated at what I expected would be a quick and easy. Or is this
    merely a limitation to netscape that I'll have to live with?

    Thanks in advance

    David Russell
    David Russell, Dec 9, 2004

  2. David Russell

    Pete Gray Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > The problem I am having is in the positioning of the logo (top left). As it
    > is on the website, it appears perfectly on IE, but the logo does not appear
    > on Netscape/Firefox, etc. (Haven't tried Opera yet...too depressed)
    >
    > The crux of the problem is that the logo image, due to the thin line
    > dangling down the page means that if I had everything on the same z-index,
    > then it covers the top line or two of text. to resolve this, I added a
    > z-index to my stylesheet (http://www.kiriath-arba.com/aquiva/aquiva.css) and
    > tried to put the image on z-index: 1 and the body on z-index:2. This did
    > nothing at all.
    >
    > After playing around, I discovered that if I made the image z-index: -1,
    > then it worked on IE, but disappeared completely from Netscape/Firefox

    AFAIAA something must be absolutely positioned to have a z-index.
    Position .main and give it a z-indexof 2, give .Logo a z-index of 1
    (otherwise it hides behind .toplogo).

    Does that help?

    > what should I be doing to get the thing working properly? I am getting
    > somewhat frustrated at what I expected would be a quick and easy. Or is this
    > merely a limitation to netscape that I'll have to live with?

    No, it looks like it's IE getting it wrong again.

    --
    Pete Gray
    while ($cat!="home"){$mice=="play";}
    Pete Gray, Dec 9, 2004

  3. "Pete Gray" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >> The problem I am having is in the positioning of the logo (top left). As
    >> it
    >> is on the website, it appears perfectly on IE, but the logo does not
    >> appear
    >> on Netscape/Firefox, etc. (Haven't tried Opera yet...too depressed)
    >>
    >> The crux of the problem is that the logo image, due to the thin line
    >> dangling down the page means that if I had everything on the same
    >> z-index,
    >> then it covers the top line or two of text. to resolve this, I added a
    >> z-index to my stylesheet (http://www.kiriath-arba.com/aquiva/aquiva.css)
    >> and
    >> tried to put the image on z-index: 1 and the body on z-index:2. This did
    >> nothing at all.
    >>
    >> After playing around, I discovered that if I made the image z-index: -1,
    >> then it worked on IE, but disappeared completely from Netscape/Firefox

    > AFAIAA something must be absolutely positioned to have a z-index.
    > Position .main and give it a z-indexof 2, give .Logo a z-index of 1
    > (otherwise it hides behind .toplogo).
    >
    > Does that help?

    Hi Pete

    Yes, that does it...I was convinced that I tried that at some stage...but
    obviously not...Thanks a stack...

    David Russell, Dec 10, 2004