css

dorayme

Hi Els,

Saturday March 25 2006, Els writes to Gufus:

Try this. Just once. Just to humour us. Don't gate Fidonet to
Internet. Don't edit with Golded, don't toss with Squish and
don't convert anything, especially not with Soupgate.

Please revisit your

"You really need to know something, I'm a coordinator for a
amateur network called "Fidonet". I'm based in Calgary CA, and
I'm also gating this message from Fidonet to Internet. So, the
software I use to gate Fidonet to Internet is no longer
supported, and it does have bugs in it. This message is actually
coming from Fidonet right now. :)"

and remove the ":)"

Then revisit your

"I understand whats going on, it's just a little more complicated
than that, it go's through three types of software. :) (Soupgate,
Squish, Golded) Golded is the editor, Squish tosses the message,
Soupgate converts it. Looks like Golded is what was stoping the
(--). :)

and remove the ":)"

Finally, do this:

step 1: press 'enter' key to start a new line
step 2: press the hyphen key '-'
step 3: press the hyphen key '-' again
step 4: press the 'space' bar once
step 5: press 'enter' key to terminate the line and start a new
line
step 6: now you can type 'Gufus' and anything else you want to
add to your signature

Just once.

Andrew Donaldson

Greg said:
I think this guy is yanking our chain.

No, I think he's now misinterpreting the 'space' in hyphen-hyphen-space
as meaning 'one blank line of space vertically".

He went from :

on advice from Els. How he managed this given the excellently clear
advice from Els and several others I have no idea.

Andrew

Jonathan N. Little

Andrew said:
No, I think he's now misinterpreting the 'space' in hyphen-hyphen-space
as meaning 'one blank line of space vertically".

He went from :

on advice from Els. How he managed this given the excellently clear
advice from Els and several others I have no idea.

Seems to have all the qualities to me the moder job requirements of the
US presidency.

I have begun to to long for the days with Luigi. Wonder if Gufus is a
one-man business?

Hats of to you Els, or your weekends must be very dull ;-) Unfortunately
after all is said and done, although commendable effort in HTML the
result will be a kludge at best, sort of like helicopter effects in the
movies, really difficult to do but not that impressive to view. I would
wither use the correct tool to create the visual effect desired which
would be easily to execute, more reliable is versatile in its
application. Or reevaluate the idea entirely and determine whether or
not the concept adds any value to the page. Not being mean here, just
being honest as an artist and designer.

Els

Jonathan said:
Seems to have all the qualities to me the moder job requirements of the
US presidency.

I have begun to to long for the days with Luigi. Wonder if Gufus is a
one-man business?

I've considered the idea of Luigi posting under a different name...
Hats of to you Els, or your weekends must be very dull ;-)

It's not that they're dull, but rather that HTML/CSS challenges are
the best way to procrastinate all the other things I have to do in my
weekend ;-)

I take it you are now changing the subject from Gufus to Chris Ianson?
I wouldn't call two dashes and a space an effort in HTML, nor a kludge
for that matter said:
Unfortunately
after all is said and done, although commendable effort in HTML the
result will be a kludge at best,

Oh, certainly, I'd never use such a construction on any site I'm
responsible for.
sort of like helicopter effects in the
movies, really difficult to do but not that impressive to view.

Isn't the easiest way to just use a real helicopter? Instant
helicopter effect...
I would
wither use the correct tool to create the visual effect desired which
would be easily to execute, more reliable is versatile in its
application. Or reevaluate the idea entirely and determine whether or
not the concept adds any value to the page. Not being mean here, just
being honest as an artist and designer.

Well, we still don't know what the actual objective is - FWIW, the
entire thing isn't quite usable in 1024x768 or lower, so I just hope
it's not for a WWW website.

Jonathan N. Little

Els said:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

It's not that they're dull, but rather that HTML/CSS challenges are
the best way to procrastinate all the other things I have to do in my
weekend ;-)

I take it you are now changing the subject from Gufus to Chris Ianson?
I wouldn't call two dashes and a space an effort in HTML, nor a kludge
for that matter <g>

Yep, I've munged my thread! It is all a blur now! Actually SeaMonkey
here does a pretty good job as a newsreader, better than most, nut not
as good as dedicated newsreaders. When threads get monstrously long a a
few have here the thread tree can get a little visually complicated,
even at 1280x960 resolution! I've tried Gravity, what was the other one,
XNews? But I have been using Netscape>Mozilla>SeaMonkey since the the
90's and kind of like browsing Usenet at the same time as email. Also
with SeaMonkey here the 'as you type' spell checking is helping (the
emphasis is 'helping') to cuts down on some of my spelling errors!

But on the other hand noticing my very high ranking on the weekend stats
underscores the level of my procrastination on this MySQL database and
interface that I should be working on...maybe a separate news client
would be advisable!

Els

Jonathan said:
But on the other hand noticing my very high ranking on the weekend stats
underscores the level of my procrastination on this MySQL database and
interface that I should be working on...maybe a separate news client
would be advisable!

You can try, but it won't help. Believe me, I know - I use Dialog,
very much separate from mail or any other app. Alt-tab just grows on
you. Last week I tried - I closed Dialog and started working. My hand
just hits alt-tab without my consent, only to discover the app isn't
open.

Ten times. (then I decided to open it again)

Jonathan N. Little

Els said:
You can try, but it won't help. Believe me, I know - I use Dialog,
very much separate from mail or any other app. Alt-tab just grows on
you. Last week I tried - I closed Dialog and started working. My hand
just hits alt-tab without my consent, only to discover the app isn't
open.

Ten times. (then I decided to open it again)

I hear yah! Well if I don't finish the db project I think my wife will
kill me! Business partners.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ed said:

Some newsreaders can snip the sig even if it does not have the trailing
space character. Mine does that, for example.

[X] Handle OE-signature delimiters

Alan J. Flavell

Some newsreaders can snip the sig even if it does not have the
trailing space character.

Then they're not working to specification.
[X] Handle OE-signature delimiters

OE does not have the privilege of re-defining the netiquette.

Sig separators are "-- ", with the trailing space. That's the rule,
whether you, I, or OE, like it or not.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Alan said:
Then they're not working to specification.

It's an option in 40tude to snip sigs of OE-newbie attempts to use a
real sig delimiter. One does not have to check the box.
[X] Handle OE-signature delimiters

OE does not have the privilege of re-defining the netiquette.

Sig separators are "-- ", with the trailing space. That's the rule,
whether you, I, or OE, like it or not.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Alan. :)

Alan J. Flavell

It's an option in 40tude to snip sigs of OE-newbie attempts to use a
real sig delimiter. One does not have to check the box.

Yes, sorry, I was a bit too short with my comment. *If* you know what
you're doing, and this is an option that you choose deliberately, then
my objection is de-fused.

It's the habit of *some* software of doing non-standard fuxups -
without any kind of option or warning - that upsets me, seeing that it
harms the motiviation to get the original bug fixed.

thanks

Gufus

Afternoon dorayme...

dorayme said:
Try this. Just once. Just to humour us. Don't gate Fidonet to
Internet. Don't edit with Golded, don't toss with Squish and
don't convert anything, especially not with Soupgate.

Okay, here is message number two, from my server.

Using Outlook Express, and the same *.sig.

Have a great day!

Els

Gufus said:
Afternoon dorayme...

dorayme said:
Okay, here is message number two, from my server.

Using Outlook Express, and the same *.sig.

It worked!
Which means you didn't use just Outlook Express (notorious for not
getting it right), but also OE-Quotefix. Am I right? :)

Gufus

Hi Els,

From: (e-mail address removed)
It worked!
Which means you didn't use just Outlook Express (notorious
for not getting it right), but also OE-Quotefix. Am I right?

Afternoon...

Correct, *didn't* use OE-Quotefix.

Never heard of OE-Quotefix, also. I knew a long time ago that the gated
messages are broken. But I still might have a few tricks, I still might be
able to get it to work. Open source code. :)

I just used the updated (Windows web site) version of Outlook Express.

--
K. Klement

http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:[email protected]

.... I'm NOT to be taken... seriously!

Gufus

Hi Ed,

From: (e-mail address removed)
You're most welcome. But your sig still doesn't have a
space after the hyphens. :p

Say Ed, question for ya...

Do you know any /good/ MSDOS editors that will not strip [space] or any
other *.char out of *.txt files, it's gotta be only MSDOS compatible.

--
K. Klement

http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:[email protected]

.... By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.

Jonathan N. Little

From: (e-mail address removed)
You're most welcome. But your sig still doesn't have a
space after the hyphens. :p

Say Ed, question for ya...

Do you know any /good/ MSDOS editors that will not strip [space] or any
other *.char out of *.txt files, it's gotta be only MSDOS compatible.

Do you mean in the file name? Sure! edit.com from and 32-bit Windows OS,
might works in Win98 don't remember, might require quotes around the name.

Gufus

Hi Jonathan,

From: (e-mail address removed)
Do you mean in the file name? Sure! edit.com from and 32-bit
Windows OS, might works in Win98 don't remember, might
require quotes around the name.

Thx...

I'll giver a test drive.

--
K. Klement

http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:[email protected]

.... "640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates