CSS3 opacity support in Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DU, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. DU

    DU Guest

    According to a recent post, it seems that Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1
    support CSS3 opacity style property under a proprietary name:

    "Support for the CSS3 opacity (using -khtml-opacity) property. Make
    entire blocks and inlines transparent without resorting to transparent
    PNGs."
    http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/archives/2003_10.html#004249

    Now, I have a demo page which works for MSIE 6 for Windows and
    Mozilla-based browsers but since I don't have Linux installed (and don't
    have Mac OSX 10.3) and since I can not test such demo with Konqueror
    3.1+ and/or Safari 1.1, I wish someone could test this and tell me if
    the demo works.

    http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/HTMLJavascriptCSS/DynamicOpacity.html

    In particular, I don't know for sure how to declare that property and
    how to access it.

    In the code, I declared it as
    -khtml-opacity:0.7
    and accessed it as
    objRef.style.KhtmlOpacity = newValue;

    I could not find documentation on this matter anywhere. Do you know
    where I could find such documentation on such issue?

    Is the demo working in Konqueror 3.1+ and/or in Safari 1.1? If not, do
    you know the correct way to declare and access the style property?

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Oct 29, 2003

  2. DU

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:05:45 -0500, DU wrote:

    > Is the demo working in Konqueror 3.1+ and/or in Safari 1.1? If not, do you
    > know the correct way to declare and access the style property?

    I'm not sure what your desired result is, but I can see a picture of
    Krusty in Konqueror but not in Firebird. Is that what you needed to know?

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 30, 2003

  3. DU

    DU Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:05:45 -0500, DU wrote:
    >

    >>Is the demo working in Konqueror 3.1+ and/or in Safari 1.1? If not, do you
    >>know the correct way to declare and access the style property?

    > I'm not sure what your desired result is, but I can see a picture of
    > Krusty in Konqueror but not in Firebird. Is that what you needed to know?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    As you mouse over the image, the picture should progressively become
    opaque. Once the mouse is out of the image, the picture should
    progressively become transparent.
    The picture is in the center of the page.

    This process works flawlessly in Mozilla-based browsers (including
    Firebird) and in MSIE 6 for windows: tested, verified and working.

    Today, I added some code which, I think, should also work for Konqueror
    3.1+ (and apparently also for Safari 1.1) but I can not see this, verify
    this myself. Thus asking Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1 users to try the
    demo.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Oct 30, 2003
  4. DU

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:12:10 -0500, DU wrote:

    > As you mouse over the image, the picture should progressively become
    > opaque. Once the mouse is out of the image, the picture should
    > progressively become transparent.
    > The picture is in the center of the page.
    >
    > This process works flawlessly in Mozilla-based browsers (including
    > Firebird) and in MSIE 6 for windows: tested, verified and working.

    I get no dynamic effect in either browser (Konq or Firebird) on Linux.

    The picture is either there (Konq) or it isn't (Firebird).

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 30, 2003
  5. DU

    DU Guest

    AD. wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:12:10 -0500, DU wrote:
    >

    >>As you mouse over the image, the picture should progressively become
    >>opaque. Once the mouse is out of the image, the picture should
    >>progressively become transparent.
    >>The picture is in the center of the page.
    >>
    >>This process works flawlessly in Mozilla-based browsers (including
    >>Firebird) and in MSIE 6 for windows: tested, verified and working.

    > I get no dynamic effect in either browser (Konq or Firebird) on Linux.
    >
    > The picture is either there (Konq) or it isn't (Firebird).
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    I'm using Firebird 0.7 (build 20031007) for windows and the continuous
    change of opacity is rendered.
    Thank you for your feedback on Konqueror: what was Konqueror version number?

    Thanks again: this is appreciated.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Oct 30, 2003
  6. DU

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:50:05 -0500, DU is reported to have
    stated:
    >>>As you mouse over the image, the picture should progressively become
    >>>opaque. Once the mouse is out of the image, the picture should
    >>>progressively become transparent.
    >>>The picture is in the center of the page.

    > I'm using Firebird 0.7 (build 20031007) for windows and the continuous
    > change of opacity is rendered.

    Works in Moz 1.5 (Win2k). The picture starts just slightly transparent,
    rather than totally opaque (or transparent) - is that right?

    Doesn't work in O7.21

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Oct 30, 2003
  7. DU

    DU Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Sometime around Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:50:05 -0500, DU is reported to have
    > stated:

    >>I'm using Firebird 0.7 (build 20031007) for windows and the continuous
    >>change of opacity is rendered.

    > Works in Moz 1.5 (Win2k). The picture starts just slightly transparent,
    > rather than totally opaque (or transparent) - is that right?

    Right. It starts at 70% of opacity. This is the style declaration:

    style="filter:alpha(opacity=70); -moz-opacity:0.7; -khtml-opacity:0.7;"

    > Doesn't work in O7.21

    I know that the demo works in MSIE 6 for Windows, in Mozilla 1.2+, in
    K-meleon 0.7, in Firebird 0.6+ for Windows, in NS 7.x for Windows. What
    I do not know (and I can not verify this nor interactively tune my code
    in anyway) is if Konqueror 3.1+ and/or Safari 1.1 render accordingly the
    demo. More precisely if this style declaration is correct for Konqueror
    3.1+ and Safari 1.1:

    -khtml-opacity:0.7;

    and more importantly if this dynamic modification of the style property
    is correct for Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1:

    objRef.style.KhtmlOpacity = newValue;
    where newValue is a string of value in the [0.0] to [1.0] range as
    specified by CSS3 opacity property in the color module.

    I can't find any online documentation (CSS support of the KHTML
    rendering engine) at kde.org.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Oct 30, 2003
  8. DU

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:14:43 -0500, DU is reported to have
    stated:

    > I know that the demo works in MSIE 6 for Windows, in Mozilla 1.2+, in
    > K-meleon 0.7, in Firebird 0.6+ for Windows, in NS 7.x for Windows. What
    > I do not know (and I can not verify this nor interactively tune my code
    > in anyway) is if Konqueror 3.1+ and/or Safari 1.1 render accordingly the
    > demo. More precisely if this style declaration is correct for Konqueror
    > 3.1+ and Safari 1.1:
    >
    > -khtml-opacity:0.7;
    >
    > and more importantly if this dynamic modification of the style property
    > is correct for Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1:
    >
    > objRef.style.KhtmlOpacity = newValue;
    > where newValue is a string of value in the [0.0] to [1.0] range as
    > specified by CSS3 opacity property in the color module.
    >
    > I can't find any online documentation (CSS support of the KHTML
    > rendering engine) at kde.org.

    Hmmm...will have a play with it on my Linux box (can't remember what
    version of Konqueror is on it, mind you) and get back to you (if someone
    else doesn't beat me to it). :)

    Mark Parnell, Oct 30, 2003
  9. "DU" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    >I do not know (and I can not verify this nor interactively tune
    >my code in anyway) is if Konqueror 3.1+ and/or Safari 1.1 render
    >accordingly the demo. ...

    <snip>

    A few months ago, reading one Usenet group or another, I noticed a
    reference to:-

    (I think there was also a knoppix.org or knoppix.com URL with a choice
    of languages as well, google searching for "knoppix" would probably turn
    those up.)

    - which is an interesting (German based) project to make a self-booting
    CD ROM containing a cut down but fully working Linux OS. They make the
    ISO image for the CD available for download and also sell pre-burnt
    versions (as far as I could tell, in German and US English). The
    download is 650+ megabytes (4 hours on broadband) but the resulting CD
    has happily booted to a working Linux/KDE environment with Konqueror 3.1
    (and Linux Mozilla 1.4) on about 3 out of 4 or the x86 desktop PCs that
    I have tried it with to date. Hard disc access is read only but the
    result is the ability to test with Konqueror 3 without having to commit
    a hard disk to running Linux (and the ability to carry the CD with me
    and run Konqueror 3 wherever I happen to find myself).

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Oct 30, 2003
  10. DU

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:50:05 -0500, DU wrote:

    > I'm using Firebird 0.7 (build 20031007) for windows and the continuous
    > change of opacity is rendered.
    > Thank you for your feedback on Konqueror: what was Konqueror version
    > number?

    I'm using Konq 3.1.3 on KDE 3.1.4 on Debian unstable (Sid) using the main
    distro packages.

    Firebird was 0.6.1 also from Debian Sid.

    I suspect the problem might have more to do with the limitations of
    XFree86 (currently 4.2.1) than the browsers. But I'm not that sure about
    it :)

    BTW Opera 7.11 on Linux shows the image, but no transparency effects.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 30, 2003
  11. DU

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:40:52 +0000, Richard Cornford wrote:

    > (I think there was also a knoppix.org or knoppix.com URL with a choice of
    > languages as well, google searching for "knoppix" would probably turn
    > those up.)
    >
    > - which is an interesting (German based) project to make a self-booting CD
    > ROM containing a cut down but fully working Linux OS. They make the ISO
    > image for the CD available for download and also sell pre-burnt versions
    > (as far as I could tell, in German and US English). The download is 650+
    > megabytes (4 hours on broadband) but the resulting CD has happily booted
    > to a working Linux/KDE environment with Konqueror 3.1 (and Linux Mozilla
    > 1.4) on about 3 out of 4 or the x86 desktop PCs that I have tried it with
    > to date. Hard disc access is read only but the result is the ability to
    > test with Konqueror 3 without having to commit a hard disk to running
    > Linux (and the ability to carry the CD with me and run Konqueror 3
    > wherever I happen to find myself).

    Excellent point - I should've thought of that myself :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Oct 30, 2003
  12. DU

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:19:21 +1100, Mark Parnell is reported
    to have stated:

    > Hmmm...will have a play with it on my Linux box (can't remember what
    > version of Konqueror is on it, mind you) and get back to you (if someone
    > else doesn't beat me to it). :)

    Turns out I only have Konqueror 3.0.3, so not much help to you, I'm afraid.
    The image does show, but no fancy effects.

    Mark Parnell, Oct 30, 2003
  13. DU

    Marco Bakker Guest

    DU <> wrote:

    > According to a recent post, it seems that Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1
    > support CSS3 opacity style property under a proprietary name:
    >
    > "Support for the CSS3 opacity (using -khtml-opacity) property. Make
    > entire blocks and inlines transparent without resorting to transparent
    > PNGs."
    > http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/archives/2003_10.html#004249
    >
    > Now, I have a demo page which works for MSIE 6 for Windows and
    > Mozilla-based browsers but since I don't have Linux installed (and don't
    > have Mac OSX 10.3) and since I can not test such demo with Konqueror
    > 3.1+ and/or Safari 1.1, I wish someone could test this and tell me if
    > the demo works.
    >
    > http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/HTMLJavascriptCSS/DynamicOpacity.html
    >
    > In particular, I don't know for sure how to declare that property and
    > how to access it.
    >
    > In the code, I declared it as
    > -khtml-opacity:0.7
    > and accessed it as
    > objRef.style.KhtmlOpacity = newValue;
    >
    > I could not find documentation on this matter anywhere. Do you know
    > where I could find such documentation on such issue?
    >
    > Is the demo working in Konqueror 3.1+ and/or in Safari 1.1? If not, do
    > you know the correct way to declare and access the style property?

    In Safari 1.1 (v100), the Panther version, the image doesn't do anything
    it is just there at 70% I think.

    The Brinkster thingie on the left however seems a bit transparant where
    in Firebird 0.7 it is not. Firebird on Panther gives the effect on the
    clown guy you discribed.

    --
    marco
    Marco Bakker, Oct 30, 2003
  14. DU

    DU Guest

    Marco Bakker wrote:
    > DU <> wrote:
    >

    >>According to a recent post, it seems that Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1
    >>support CSS3 opacity style property under a proprietary name:
    >>
    >>"Support for the CSS3 opacity (using -khtml-opacity) property. Make
    >>entire blocks and inlines transparent without resorting to transparent
    >>PNGs."
    >>http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/archives/2003_10.html#004249
    >>
    >>Now, I have a demo page which works for MSIE 6 for Windows and
    >>Mozilla-based browsers but since I don't have Linux installed (and don't
    >>have Mac OSX 10.3) and since I can not test such demo with Konqueror
    >>3.1+ and/or Safari 1.1, I wish someone could test this and tell me if
    >>the demo works.
    >>
    >>http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/HTMLJavascriptCSS/DynamicOpacity.html
    >>
    >>In particular, I don't know for sure how to declare that property and
    >>how to access it.
    >>
    >>In the code, I declared it as
    >>-khtml-opacity:0.7
    >>and accessed it as
    >>objRef.style.KhtmlOpacity = newValue;
    >>
    >>I could not find documentation on this matter anywhere. Do you know
    >>where I could find such documentation on such issue?
    >>
    >>Is the demo working in Konqueror 3.1+ and/or in Safari 1.1? If not, do
    >>you know the correct way to declare and access the style property?

    > In Safari 1.1 (v100), the Panther version, the image doesn't do anything
    > it is just there at 70% I think.

    Well, then it means that Safari 1.1 recognizes the declaration
    -khtml-opacity:0.7;
    then. The remaining problem would be to find how to access the opacity
    value and assign it a new value.
    I assumed the correct syntax was
    objRef.style.KthmlOpacity = newValue ;
    but it appears it's not the case.
    Do you know where I can find documentation on Safari or Konqueror where
    support on proprietary names is defined, explained (css support on
    Safari or Konqueror, DOM support in Safari or Konqueror).
    I also assumed taht Safari and Konqueror support DOM 2 events:
    document.addEventListener is supported in those browsers (my assumption).

    > The Brinkster thingie on the left however seems a bit transparant where
    > in Firebird 0.7 it is not.

    Argh... this brinkster ad banner thingie just appeared since yesterday.
    There is nothing I can do against that. I was enjoying the site without
    such server-side addition before.

    Firebird on Panther gives the effect on the
    > clown guy you discribed.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs: