Culture Info & Datetime values

Joe Van Meer

Hi all,

Do dates & time values always get inserted according to the user's main
language setting in their browser? Like, if I had an application that
somehow relied on comparing dates and times but the app spanned across a
number of languages would these comparison's still work? Would the value of
Now() in England being inserted into a database be the same fomat and ready
for comparison as the Now() value in Russia? Or do I even have to worry
about these things and let the culture object do its work in presenting the
values?

Cheers & thanks, Joe

Bruce Barker

it depends on where your call now(). if its on the server, then it doesn't
matter where the user is, it the servers time. if you store it as a
datetime, then language does not matter. if you mean now() in the client
box, its their local timezone, so you will need to track this.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Joe Van Meer

Hi Bruce,

Ok good :) Thanks for answering....I wasn't sure if the culture object
somehow converted the person's time/date format or not. I am using datetime
and it is the server's time so I should be ok. I appreciate your help,
thanks mate!

Cheers, Joe