Curiosity kills the cat -- where is the background color?

Mark Adams

I'm working on a page mostly as an experiment to learn html/css/etc. I
started with a template so that I can play around with it and see how
this stuff works. I've stumbled onto a thing I can't understand.

Look at the source on this page http://adamslan.shyper.com

Notice the slate blue gradient in the background. This is a function of
a .jpg (bg_grad.jpg) in the html folder -- I remove that .jpg and the
background goes white. However, I can't find any reference to that file
in the source code!

How does this page know to render this gradient as a background when it
doesn't appear in the code?

I'd appreciate it if someone could edumacate me about this.

Thanks.

Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen

Mark said:
I'm working on a page mostly as an experiment to learn html/css/etc. I
started with a template so that I can play around with it and see how
this stuff works. I've stumbled onto a thing I can't understand.

Look at the source on this page http://adamslan.shyper.com

Notice the slate blue gradient in the background. This is a function of
a .jpg (bg_grad.jpg) in the html folder -- I remove that .jpg and the
background goes white. However, I can't find any reference to that file
in the source code!

How does this page know to render this gradient as a background when it
doesn't appear in the code?

I'd appreciate it if someone could edumacate me about this.

Thanks.

The background image is specified in your stylesheet.
Hey, what kind of word is edumacate??

Jim Higson

Mark said:
I'm working on a page mostly as an experiment to learn html/css/etc. I
started with a template so that I can play around with it and see how
this stuff works. I've stumbled onto a thing I can't understand.

Look at the source on this page http://adamslan.shyper.com

Notice the slate blue gradient in the background. This is a function of
a .jpg (bg_grad.jpg) in the html folder -- I remove that .jpg and the
background goes white. However, I can't find any reference to that file
in the source code!

It's in the css:
http://adamslan.shyper.com/emx_nav_left.css
How does this page know to render this gradient as a background when it
doesn't appear in the code?

I'd appreciate it if someone could edumacate me about this.

A big book about html+css should do.

Mark Adams

Inger said:
The background image is specified in your stylesheet.
Hey, what kind of word is edumacate??

Okay, thanks to a raging case of sinusitis and getting the kids to their
first day of school, I totally missed it the first four times I looked
at that file. :)

"Edumacate" is a Homerism. See "Simpsons, the".
--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
Things are more like they are today than they ever were before.
-- Dwight Eisenhower

Mark Adams

All I can say is, D'oh!

A big book about html+css should do.

Thanks! :)
--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.
NO (or Linux) is the answer.
(Taken from a .signature from someone from the UK, source unknown)

Mark said:
Okay, thanks to a raging case of sinusitis and getting the kids to their
first day of school, I totally missed it the first four times I looked
at that file. :)

"Edumacate" is a Homerism. See "Simpsons, the".

Thanks! I love the Simpsons but I haven't seen so
many episodes yet, as I only recently discovered
how funny the show is!