Curiosity kills the cat -- where is the background color?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mark Adams, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    I'm working on a page mostly as an experiment to learn html/css/etc. I
    started with a template so that I can play around with it and see how
    this stuff works. I've stumbled onto a thing I can't understand.

    Look at the source on this page http://adamslan.shyper.com

    Notice the slate blue gradient in the background. This is a function of
    a .jpg (bg_grad.jpg) in the html folder -- I remove that .jpg and the
    background goes white. However, I can't find any reference to that file
    in the source code!

    How does this page know to render this gradient as a background when it
    doesn't appear in the code?

    I'd appreciate it if someone could edumacate me about this.

    Thanks.
    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Mark Adams, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Mark Adams wrote:
    > I'm working on a page mostly as an experiment to learn html/css/etc. I
    > started with a template so that I can play around with it and see how
    > this stuff works. I've stumbled onto a thing I can't understand.
    >
    > Look at the source on this page http://adamslan.shyper.com
    >
    > Notice the slate blue gradient in the background. This is a function of
    > a .jpg (bg_grad.jpg) in the html folder -- I remove that .jpg and the
    > background goes white. However, I can't find any reference to that file
    > in the source code!
    >
    > How does this page know to render this gradient as a background when it
    > doesn't appear in the code?
    >
    > I'd appreciate it if someone could edumacate me about this.
    >
    > Thanks.

    The background image is specified in your stylesheet.
    Hey, what kind of word is edumacate??

    --
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen
    http://home.online.no/~ingerfaj/
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen, Aug 20, 2004

  3. Mark Adams

    Jim Higson Guest

    Mark Adams wrote:

    > I'm working on a page mostly as an experiment to learn html/css/etc. I
    > started with a template so that I can play around with it and see how
    > this stuff works. I've stumbled onto a thing I can't understand.
    >
    > Look at the source on this page http://adamslan.shyper.com
    >
    > Notice the slate blue gradient in the background. This is a function of
    > a .jpg (bg_grad.jpg) in the html folder -- I remove that .jpg and the
    > background goes white. However, I can't find any reference to that file
    > in the source code!

    It's in the css:
    http://adamslan.shyper.com/emx_nav_left.css

    > How does this page know to render this gradient as a background when it
    > doesn't appear in the code?
    >
    > I'd appreciate it if someone could edumacate me about this.

    A big book about html+css should do.
    Jim Higson, Aug 20, 2004
  4. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen wrote:
    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    >> How does this page know to render this gradient as a background when
    >> it doesn't appear in the code?
    >>
    >> I'd appreciate it if someone could edumacate me about this.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > The background image is specified in your stylesheet.
    > Hey, what kind of word is edumacate??

    Okay, thanks to a raging case of sinusitis and getting the kids to their
    first day of school, I totally missed it the first four times I looked
    at that file. :)

    "Edumacate" is a Homerism. See "Simpsons, the".
    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Things are more like they are today than they ever were before.
    -- Dwight Eisenhower
    Mark Adams, Aug 20, 2004
  5. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Jim Higson wrote:
    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    >>How does this page know to render this gradient as a background when it
    >>doesn't appear in the code?
    >>
    >>I'd appreciate it if someone could edumacate me about this.

    All I can say is, D'oh!

    > A big book about html+css should do.

    Thanks! :)
    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Microsoft is not the answer.
    Microsoft is the question.
    NO (or Linux) is the answer.
    (Taken from a .signature from someone from the UK, source unknown)
    Mark Adams, Aug 20, 2004
  6. Mark Adams wrote:
    > Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen wrote:
    >
    >> Mark Adams wrote:
    >>
    >>> How does this page know to render this gradient as a background when
    >>> it doesn't appear in the code?
    >>>
    >>> I'd appreciate it if someone could edumacate me about this.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> The background image is specified in your stylesheet.
    >> Hey, what kind of word is edumacate??
    >>

    > Okay, thanks to a raging case of sinusitis and getting the kids to their
    > first day of school, I totally missed it the first four times I looked
    > at that file. :)
    >
    > "Edumacate" is a Homerism. See "Simpsons, the".

    Thanks! I love the Simpsons but I haven't seen so
    many episodes yet, as I only recently discovered
    how funny the show is!

    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen, Aug 20, 2004