    richard Guest

    Anyone have a site that explains how to use the shortcut brackets?
    Trying to google this gives me everything I don't want to know.

    richard, Jul 17, 2009

  2. richard wrote:
    > Anyone have a site that explains how to use the shortcut brackets?
    > Trying to google this gives me everything I don't want to know.

    HTML doesn't have *methods*

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 17, 2009

  3. richard

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, richard <> wrote:
    >Anyone have a site that explains how to use the shortcut brackets?

    What on earth are you talking about?

    >Trying to google this gives me everything I don't want to know.

    Perhaps if you Googled on something that makes sense...

    Doug Miller, Jul 17, 2009
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:29:42 GMT, (Doug Miller)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, richard <> wrote:
    >>Anyone have a site that explains how to use the shortcut brackets?

    >What on earth are you talking about?
    >
    >>Trying to google this gives me everything I don't want to know.

    >Perhaps if you Googled on something that makes sense...

    I used to have an ascii art program that produced the output using
    nothing but the []. Some one said this was a shortcut. But I could
    never find any explanation of it elsewhere.

    richard, Jul 17, 2009
  5. richard

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, richard <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:29:42 GMT, (Doug Miller)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, richard

    > <> wrote:
    >>>Anyone have a site that explains how to use the shortcut brackets?

    >>What on earth are you talking about?
    >>
    >>>Trying to google this gives me everything I don't want to know.

    >>Perhaps if you Googled on something that makes sense...

    >I used to have an ascii art program that produced the output using
    >nothing but the []. Some one said this was a shortcut. But I could
    >never find any explanation of it elsewhere.

    Sorry, richard, I have no idea what you're talking about.

    And what does this have to do with HTML?

    Doug Miller, Jul 17, 2009
  6. richard

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode, <>, the
    lovely and talented richard broadcast on alt.html:

    > On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:29:42 GMT, (Doug Miller)
    > wrote:

    >>In article <>, richard <> wrote:
    >>>Anyone have a site that explains how to use the shortcut brackets?

    >>What on earth are you talking about?
    >>
    >>>Trying to google this gives me everything I don't want to know.

    >>Perhaps if you Googled on something that makes sense...

    > I used to have an ascii art program that produced the output using
    > nothing but the []. Some one said this was a shortcut. But I could
    > never find any explanation of it elsewhere.

    The reason everyone is confused by your question is that neither [ nor
    ] have any special significance in HTML. They are just the open and close
    square bracket characters. [] is just those characters. In HTML,
    ASCII art should go in the PRE element:

    <pre>

    ASCII art goes here.

    </pre>

    The problem here is, characters in the art like &<> need to be changed to
    &amp; &lt; and &gt; to guarantee this will work. If you use anything other
    than the original 7-bit ASCII characters, they must be in the character set
    of your HTML document, or they too must be encoded as character entity
    references.

    You may mean CDATA. This is not HTML but a SGML construct which may or may
    not be supported in various browsers. That looks like this

    <![CDATA[
    A bunch of ASCII art goes here
    ]]>

    CDATA means "character data" and here &<> do not need to be escaped. But in
    the past support for this SGML construct has been spotty, so this may work
    in some browsers, but not in others. Some browsers may ignore it, and
    others may do something entirely broken with it.

    There are also various ways to insert a file of ascii art into an HTML
    document, but this does not get around the basic problem which is that
    the special charaters &<> need to be encoded as character entity references
    (as above) to appear naked in an HTML document. If you use a preprocessor
    such as PHP to do this, encoding the special characters can be done with a
    simple function.
    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> September 5799, 1993
    178 days since Rick Warren prayed over Bush's third term.

    Lars Eighner, Jul 17, 2009
  7. Doug Miller wrote:
    > In article <>, richard <> wrote:

    >> I used to have an ascii art program that produced the output using
    >> nothing but the []. Some one said this was a shortcut. But I could
    >> never find any explanation of it elsewhere.

    > Sorry, richard, I have no idea what you're talking about.
    >
    > And what does this have to do with HTML?

    Absolutely nothing, but it never stops him.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 17, 2009
  8. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Lars Eighner <> wrote:

    > In our last episode, <>, the
    > lovely and talented richard broadcast on alt.html:

    ..

    ..

    > The reason everyone is confused by your question is that neither [ nor
    > ] have any special significance in HTML. They are just the open and close
    > square bracket characters. [] is just those characters. In HTML,
    > ASCII art should go in the PRE element:
    >
    > <pre>
    >
    > ASCII art goes here.
    >
    > </pre>
    >
    > The problem here is, characters in the art like &<> need to be changed to
    > &amp; &lt; and &gt; to guarantee this will work.

    In a text editor with GREP powers of Search and Replace. <([^<>]+)> to
    \&lt;\1\&gt; does a lot (but not all) of what is needed for mark-up
    display in HTML. Just make yourself a few little GREP replacement
    patterns and if you get cute, you can combine them all into one pattern.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 18, 2009
  9. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 09:30:02 +1000, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Lars Eighner <> wrote:
    >
    >> In our last episode, <>, the
    >> lovely and talented richard broadcast on alt.html:
    >>

    >.

    >.
    >>
    >> The reason everyone is confused by your question is that neither [ nor
    >> ] have any special significance in HTML. They are just the open and close
    >> square bracket characters. [] is just those characters. In HTML,
    >> ASCII art should go in the PRE element:
    >>
    >> <pre>
    >>
    >> ASCII art goes here.
    >>
    >> </pre>
    >>
    >> The problem here is, characters in the art like &<> need to be changed to
    >> &amp; &lt; and &gt; to guarantee this will work.

    >In a text editor with GREP powers of Search and Replace. <([^<>]+)> to
    >\&lt;\1\&gt; does a lot (but not all) of what is needed for mark-up
    >display in HTML. Just make yourself a few little GREP replacement
    >patterns and if you get cute, you can combine them all into one pattern.

    Thank you.
    I know that at least one web site I had seen the [ ] mentioned but no
    real details of how to use them were ever given.

    richard, Jul 18, 2009
  10. richard

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode,
    <>, the lovely and
    talented dorayme broadcast on alt.html:

    > In article <>,
    > Lars Eighner <> wrote:

    >> In our last episode, <>, the
    >> lovely and talented richard broadcast on alt.html:
    >>

    > .

    > .
    >>
    >> The reason everyone is confused by your question is that neither [ nor
    >> ] have any special significance in HTML. They are just the open and close
    >> square bracket characters. [] is just those characters. In HTML,
    >> ASCII art should go in the PRE element:
    >>
    >> <pre>
    >>
    >> ASCII art goes here.
    >>
    >> </pre>
    >>
    >> The problem here is, characters in the art like &<> need to be changed to
    >> &amp; &lt; and &gt; to guarantee this will work.

    > In a text editor with GREP powers of Search and Replace. <([^<>]+)> to
    > \&lt;\1\&gt; does a lot (but not all) of what is needed for mark-up
    > display in HTML. Just make yourself a few little GREP replacement
    > patterns and if you get cute, you can combine them all into one pattern.

    However you do this, perl one-liner(s), search-and-replace functions, etc.,
    *always* do & first.

    Lars Eighner, Jul 18, 2009
  11. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > On 2009-07-17, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Lars Eighner <> wrote:

    > [...]
    > >> The reason everyone is confused by your question is that neither [ nor
    > >> ] have any special significance in HTML. They are just the open and close
    > >> square bracket characters. [] is just those characters. In HTML,
    > >> ASCII art should go in the PRE element:
    > >>
    > >> <pre>
    > >>
    > >> ASCII art goes here.
    > >>
    > >> </pre>
    > >>
    > >> The problem here is, characters in the art like &<> need to be changed to
    > >> &amp; &lt; and &gt; to guarantee this will work.

    > > In a text editor with GREP powers of Search and Replace. <([^<>]+)> to
    > > \&lt;\1\&gt; does a lot (but not all) of what is needed for mark-up
    > > display in HTML. Just make yourself a few little GREP replacement
    > > patterns and if you get cute, you can combine them all into one pattern.

    > Or use recode utf8..h4.
    >
    > Or, to be on the safe side, you could just replace _every_ character in
    > the ASCII art with an &# thing.

    A giant GREP pattern... mmm...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 18, 2009
  12. richard wrote:

    > Thank you.
    > I know that at least one web site I had seen the [ ] mentioned but no
    > real details of how to use them were ever given.

    You've also seen websites with "e", "W", "8", "@", and "$", but, like
    "[" and "]", they are just characters, they have nothing special to do
    with HTML, they aren't "shortcuts" for anything, and there are no
    details underlying their "use".

    Harlan Messinger, Jul 18, 2009
  13. richard

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 18 Jul 2009, Harlan Messinger <>
    wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >> I know that at least one web site I had seen the [ ] mentioned but
    >> no real details of how to use them were ever given.

    > You've also seen websites with "e", "W", "8", "@", and "$", but, like
    > "[" and "]", they are just characters, they have nothing special to
    > do with HTML, they aren't "shortcuts" for anything, and there are no
    > details underlying their "use".

    Bet you never saw website in Klingon...

    --
    Neredbojias