    It should be doable.
    I just need to see how it's done.
    Which also works in IE.
    Richard, Jan 26, 2005

  2. In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
    > First, please do not mention eric meyer's site.
    > I've seen it and his method does not work in IE.
    > What I'm looking at doing is a css style thing for when JS has been turned
    > off.
    > The sites I have seen either do not work in IE, are to complicated to
    > follow, or they make it dificult to find the css page.
    > One site I did see looked good, but it used a script.
    > All the other sites I saw just say stuff about using the span title trick.
    > Ok. I can live with that. But what I want to know is, how do you add a new
    > line to the title?
    > Or style it so that it shows in a specific block size even?
    > It should be doable.
    > I just need to see how it's done.
    > Which also works in IE.

    Come on Bullis. You're the man* with all the answers - surely you can
    do this?

    *Used only to indicate "non-female".

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.
    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Richard

    JDS Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:59:50 -0600, Richard wrote:

    > First, please do not mention eric meyer's site

    eric meyer's site eric meyer's site eric meyer's site eric meyer's site
    eric meyer's site eric meyer's site eric meyer's site

    nyeah-hah!

    --
    JDS |
    JDS, Jan 26, 2005
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:50:31 -0500 JDS wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:59:50 -0600, Richard wrote:

    >> First, please do not mention eric meyer's site

    > eric meyer's site eric meyer's site eric meyer's site eric meyer's site
    > eric meyer's site eric meyer's site eric meyer's site

    > nyeah-hah!

    A=2
    Do While a>0
    Slap the monkey
    Bang head on wall
    A=A+1

    End

    Richard, Jan 26, 2005
  5. Richard

    Fat Sam Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
    >> First, please do not mention eric meyer's site.
    >> I've seen it and his method does not work in IE.
    >> What I'm looking at doing is a css style thing for when JS has been
    >> turned off.
    >> The sites I have seen either do not work in IE, are to complicated to
    >> follow, or they make it dificult to find the css page.
    >> One site I did see looked good, but it used a script.
    >> All the other sites I saw just say stuff about using the span title
    >> trick. Ok. I can live with that. But what I want to know is, how do
    >> you add a new line to the title?
    >> Or style it so that it shows in a specific block size even?
    >> It should be doable.
    >> I just need to see how it's done.
    >> Which also works in IE.

    > Come on Bullis. You're the man* with all the answers - surely you can
    > do this?
    >
    > *Used only to indicate "non-female".

    LOL...He's a man in the same sense that a dinner-plate or a cinema-ticket is
    a man......
    Fat Sam, Jan 26, 2005
  6. Richard wrote:
    > First, please do not mention eric meyer's site.

    You started it. I never said anything about eric meyer's site. But you
    are right we should not mention eric meyer's site. It's the EM word. shhh...

    > I've seen it and his method does not work in IE.

    Yeah. it's EM not IE.

    > What I'm looking at doing is a css style thing for when JS has been turned
    > off.

    Are you heading in another direction now? Cured?

    > The sites I have seen either do not work in IE, are to complicated to
    > follow, or they make it dificult to find the css page.

    You can't find the CSS? Last time I checked it was there.

    > One site I did see looked good, but it used a script.

    I saw this site as well. In was somewhere on the internets.

    > All the other sites I saw just say stuff about using the span title trick.

    So we have 1 site with a script and all the others use a span title
    trick? Wait until my site goes online. It has both features!

    > Ok. I can live with that. But what I want to know is, how do you add a new
    > line to the title?

    within the title? why not using <br /> for a while, and later on doing
    something like <span style="display:block;"></span>. The later is the
    richardised form of the former.

    > Or style it so that it shows in a specific block size even?
    > It should be doable.

    I am afraid everything is doable.

    > I just need to see how it's done.

    me too..

    > Which also works in IE.

    don't worry.. IE will sooner or later disappear. As we all will :(

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 26, 2005
  7. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    >First, please do not mention eric meyer's site.
    >I've seen it and his method does not work in IE.

    If you're talking about this one:
    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html
    then it does work in IE.

    The one thing that Eric Meyer doesn't mention is that unless you have
    some properties in the a:hover {} styles then the a:hover span {}
    styles which make the caption visible won't be applied in IE.

    >What I'm looking at doing is a css style thing for when JS has been turned
    >off.

    See above. Remember that as IE only supports :hover for <a> elements
    then those are the only elements you can add CSS 'tooltips' to.

    >All the other sites I saw just say stuff about using the span title trick.
    >Ok. I can live with that. But what I want to know is, how do you add a new
    >line to the title?

    title="first line
    second line"

    Works in some browsers.

    >Or style it so that it shows in a specific block size even?

    Not possible. The title tooltip is an Operating Stystem component and
    hence out of a web page author's control.

    >It should be doable.
    >I just need to see how it's done.
    >Which also works in IE.

    a {position: relative;}
    a:hover { color: #000; } /* some style needed here for IE */
    a span {display: none;}
    a:hover span {display: block; text-decoration: none; color: #000;
    position: absolute; top: 0.5em; left: 1em; width: 6em;
    padding: 0.25em; z-index: 100; border: 1px solid red; background:
    yellow none; }

    Works in IE, Opera and Gecko. Degradation in non-CSS browsers is a bit
    messy but that cam be helped with some extra work. The captions
    completely fail to appear in Netscape 4 (but so would titles).

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jan 26, 2005
  8. Richard wrote:

    > A=2
    > Do While a>0
    > Slap the monkey
    > Bang head on wall
    > A=A+1
    >
    > End

    I wonder why you need any variable at all for this... the monkey will
    never be slapped with your code.

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 26, 2005
  9. Steve Pugh wrote:

    > Works in IE, Opera and Gecko. Degradation in non-CSS browsers is a bit
    > messy but that cam be helped with some extra work. The captions
    > completely fail to appear in Netscape 4 (but so would titles).
    >
    > Steve

    Steve, you are a star. I never figuered out what richard wanted to ask.
    You will get the NG award :)

    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 26, 2005
  10. In article <41f7f250$1_1@127.0.0.1>, says...
    > Richard wrote:
    > >

    > > A=2
    > > Do While a>0
    > > Slap the monkey
    > > Bang head on wall
    > > A=A+1
    > >
    > > End

    > I wonder why you need any variable at all for this... the monkey will
    > never be slapped with your code.

    Depends on the language. I imagine it's BASIC (this is Bullis we're
    talking about), so if it compiles, it'll slap the monkey, and bang its
    head on the wall. It would only do it once before finishing, though,
    and it looks as though the "End" statement is redundant. I guess RtS is
    a Microsoft developer - all the extra bloat (Do, increment, End) gives
    it away.

    OTOH, if it's a strongly-typed language, the variable "a" could have any
    value under the sun since it hasn't been declared or initialised.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.
    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 26, 2005
  11. In article <41f7f4ce$1_2@127.0.0.1>, says...
    > Steve Pugh wrote:
    > >
    > > Works in IE, Opera and Gecko. Degradation in non-CSS browsers is a bit
    > > messy but that cam be helped with some extra work. The captions
    > > completely fail to appear in Netscape 4 (but so would titles).
    > >
    > > Steve

    > Steve, you are a star. I never figuered out what richard wanted to ask.
    > You will get the NG award :)

    Luckily you won first prize, too. That's one evening out with Richard.
    Second prize was two nights out with him, and third was a whole week.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.
    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 26, 2005
  12. Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > In article <41f7f250$1_1@127.0.0.1>, says...
    >
    >>Richard wrote:
    >>

    >>>A=2
    >>>Do While a>0
    >>> Slap the monkey
    >>> Bang head on wall
    >>>A=A+1
    >>>
    >>>End

    >>I wonder why you need any variable at all for this... the monkey will
    >>never be slapped with your code.

    > Depends on the language. I imagine it's BASIC (this is Bullis we're
    > talking about), so if it compiles, it'll slap the monkey, and bang its
    > head on the wall.

    I guess it will only do:
    "Missing loop statement at line 7" (assuming it is some flavour of VB)
    and the monkey will never be slapped.. poor monkey.
    there is no need to register a variable in VB, and they are also not
    case sensitive. So this part should work...

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 26, 2005
  13. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:38:23 +0000 Steve Pugh wrote:

    > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    >>First, please do not mention eric meyer's site.
    >>I've seen it and his method does not work in IE.

    > If you're talking about this one:
    > http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html
    > then it does work in IE.

    > The one thing that Eric Meyer doesn't mention is that unless you have
    > some properties in the a:hover {} styles then the a:hover span {}
    > styles which make the caption visible won't be applied in IE.

    >>What I'm looking at doing is a css style thing for when JS has been
    >>turned
    >>off.

    > See above. Remember that as IE only supports :hover for <a> elements
    > then those are the only elements you can add CSS 'tooltips' to.

    >>All the other sites I saw just say stuff about using the span title
    >>trick.
    >>Ok. I can live with that. But what I want to know is, how do you add a
    >>new
    >>line to the title?

    > title="first line
    > second line"

    > Works in some browsers.

    >>Or style it so that it shows in a specific block size even?

    > Not possible. The title tooltip is an Operating Stystem component and
    > hence out of a web page author's control.

    >>It should be doable.
    >>I just need to see how it's done.
    >>Which also works in IE.

    > a {position: relative;}

    a::hover { color: #000; } /* some style needed here for IE */
    > a span {display: none;}

    a::hover span {display: block; text-decoration: none; color: #000;
    > position: absolute; top: 0.5em; left: 1em; width: 6em;
    > padding: 0.25em; z-index: 100; border: 1px solid red; background:
    > yellow none; }

    > Works in IE, Opera and Gecko. Degradation in non-CSS browsers is a bit
    > messy but that cam be helped with some extra work. The captions
    > completely fail to appear in Netscape 4 (but so would titles).

    Granted that works in IE and is fine for descriptions.
    I can place an image in the span with no problem.
    Question is, how do you simulate an onclick in css?
    Because as soon as you move out of the hovered area, the span description
    evaporates.
    Is there a way to show the larger image on the same page as I've done so
    far?
    As I am working on a <noscript> redirect page and would prefer not to have a
    new page open just to display the larger image.
    Richard, Jan 26, 2005
  14. Richard

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Fat Sam scribbled in the mud:

    > LOL...He's a man in the same sense that a dinner-plate or a
    > cinema-ticket is a man......

    Like you don't have a MAN sized dinner-plate. You really shouldn't mention it
    in reference to rts.

    --
    D?
    http://wipkip.biz
    Duende, Jan 26, 2005
  15. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    >Question is, how do you simulate an onclick in css?

    You can't. CSS is pure presentation. Functionality must be handled by
    HTML or scripting.

    >Because as soon as you move out of the hovered area, the span description
    >evaporates.

    You wanted a tooltip, you got a tooltip.

    >Is there a way to show the larger image on the same page as I've done so
    >far?

    Without scripting? No.

    >As I am working on a <noscript> redirect page

    Shouldn't be necessary.

    >and would prefer not to have a
    >new page open just to display the larger image.

    Then don't open a new page, link directly to the image.

    Steve Pugh, Jan 26, 2005
  16. On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:59:50 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    <Gazes ...>

    > First, please do not mention eric meyer's site.
    > I've seen it and his method does not work in IE.
    > What I'm looking at doing is a css style thing for when JS has been turned
    > off.
    > The sites I have seen either do not work in IE, are to complicated to
    > follow, or they make it dificult to find the css page.
    > One site I did see looked good, but it used a script.
    > All the other sites I saw just say stuff about using the span title trick.
    > Ok. I can live with that. But what I want to know is, how do you add a new
    > line to the title?
    > Or style it so that it shows in a specific block size even?
    > It should be doable.
    > I just need to see how it's done.
    > Which also works in IE.

    Man, do you have a problem.

    If above is the way you think[1] I can now see why html is so hard for you.
    Giving structure to content needs someone to understand and see the structure
    first.

    That is not going to happen with you, is it?

    [1] No paragraphs, no logical start or stop, no reasoning, just one liners,
    sometimes, almost like a coincedence related.

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 26, 2005
  17. Richard

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Bernhard Sturm wrote:

    > "Missing loop statement at line 7" (assuming it is some flavour of VB)
    > and the monkey will never be slapped.. poor monkey.

    IIRC, in BASIC, DO needs a counterpart LOOP.

    For example:

    10 A% = 1
    20 DO WHILE A% < 11
    30 WRITE "I can count to " ; A%
    40 A% = A% + 1
    50 LOOP

    Which is the equivalent of the following in Perl/PHP:

    $a = 1;
    while ($a < 11) {
    print "I can count to $a\n";
    $a = $a+1;
    }

    or more concisely:

    for ( $a=1 ; $a<11 ; $a++ ) {
    print "I can count to $a\n";

    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jan 26, 2005
  18. While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...
    > Is there a way to show the larger image on the same page as I've done
    > so far?

    Good grief... I've said it before, and I'll say it again, as I have here and
    in news:comp.lang.php...

    http://www.nigenet.org.uk/stuff/thumbtastic/

    Adapt it to your needs. It works.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    nice.guy.nige, Jan 26, 2005
  19. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:53:35 -0000 Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > In article <41f7f250$1_1@127.0.0.1>, says...
    >> Richard wrote:
    >> >

    >> > A=2
    >> > Do While a>0
    >> > Slap the monkey
    >> > Bang head on wall
    >> > A=A+1
    >> >
    >> > End

    >> I wonder why you need any variable at all for this... the monkey will
    >> never be slapped with your code.

    > Depends on the language. I imagine it's BASIC (this is Bullis we're
    > talking about), so if it compiles, it'll slap the monkey, and bang its
    > head on the wall. It would only do it once before finishing, though,
    > and it looks as though the "End" statement is redundant. I guess RtS
    > is
    > a Microsoft developer - all the extra bloat (Do, increment, End) gives
    > it away.

    > OTOH, if it's a strongly-typed language, the variable "a" could have
    > any
    > value under the sun since it hasn't been declared or initialised.

    Which goes to prove you know absolutely nothing of programming in BASIC.

    The numeric variable A is initiliazed to 2.
    Do while A>0 is nothing more than a fancier for/next loop.
    The looping is automatic until the condition is met.
    Since A is always greater than 0 (zero), it is an endless loop.

    In BASIC, string variables were identied with $.
    A$="Kiss my ass".

    Even Javascript has a similar routine, as does visual basic and c++.
    Richard, Jan 27, 2005
  20. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:45:16 +0000 Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Bernhard Sturm wrote:

    >> "Missing loop statement at line 7" (assuming it is some flavour of VB)
    >> and the monkey will never be slapped.. poor monkey.

    > IIRC, in BASIC, DO needs a counterpart LOOP.

    You are so correct. I did forget the loop in there.
    Of course, it's been years since I've dabbled in basic.
    Richard, Jan 27, 2005