    might be interesting.
    Since HTML is basically text, one could write a program that would do all
    the tags and attributes for you.

    richard, Oct 8, 2006

  2. richard wrote:

    > Anyone ever tried writing a program using BASIC to write HTML?

    Since most ASP pages are written in VBScript - many people have.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Oct 8, 2006

  3. richard

    mbstevens Guest

    richard wrote:
    > Anyone ever tried writing a program using BASIC to write HTML?
    > With Liberty Basic able to function while Windows is operating, with a
    > lot more stuff than the old BASIC, I was thinking that in some cases,
    > doing so might be interesting.
    > Since HTML is basically text, one could write a program that would do
    > all the tags and attributes for you.

    Suggest you download a free copy of Perl, Python, or Ruby for that kind
    of thing:
    http://www.activestate.com/

    These languages are better suited for text manipulation, and have a good
    track record for creating HTML pages on the fly. You will also want a
    language with regular expressions built in or in modules.

    Plus, Basic encourages spaghetti code. Any program of reasonable size
    becomes hard to understand. If you are an absolute beginner I suggest
    Python.

    mbstevens, Oct 8, 2006
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone ever tried writing a program using BASIC to write HTML?

    > Since most ASP pages are written in VBScript - many people have.

    True. But I'm not talking about the higher VBscript language. As that is
    something entirely different.

    richard, Oct 8, 2006
  5. richard

    rwap Guest

    Re: Curious. BASIC to HTML

    On Oct 8, 6:47 pm, mbstevens <> wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    > > Anyone ever tried writing a program using BASIC to write HTML?
    > > With Liberty Basic able to function while Windows is operating, with a
    > > lot more stuff than the old BASIC, I was thinking that in some cases,
    > > doing so might be interesting.
    > > Since HTML is basically text, one could write a program that would do
    > > all the tags and attributes for you.Suggest you download a free copy of Perl, Python, or Ruby for that kind

    > of thing:http://www.activestate.com/
    >
    > These languages are better suited for text manipulation, and have a good
    > track record for creating HTML pages on the fly. You will also want a
    > language with regular expressions built in or in modules.

    The beauty is that there are plenty of ready made libraries for these
    languages, which include HTML generation and parsing, especially for
    Perl.

    > Plus, Basic encourages spaghetti code. Any program of reasonable size
    > becomes hard to understand. If you are an absolute beginner I suggest
    > Python.

    It depends on the implementation of BASIC - I recall such a program
    being released for the Sinclair QL (which is still a good machine even
    as an emulator!!) - at least SuperBASIC (as provided on the humble
    Sinclair QL) allows you to create user defined functions and
    procedures, which gets away from spaghetti code as it tends to lead to
    more structured BASIC.

    Rich Mellor
    www.internetbusinessangels.com

    rwap, Oct 8, 2006
  6. richard

    Richard Guest

    "richard" <> writes:

    > "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    >> richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone ever tried writing a program using BASIC to write HTML?

    >> Since most ASP pages are written in VBScript - many people have.

    > True. But I'm not talking about the higher VBscript language. As that
    > is something entirely different.

    So what are you talking about?

    You want to use an even crappier BASIC to do the job which is done
    admirably by VBScript, Python, PERL and PHP already? Why?

    Richard, Oct 8, 2006
  7. richard

    mbstevens Guest

    Re: Curious. BASIC to HTML

    rwap wrote:

    > It depends on the implementation of BASIC - I recall such a program
    > being released for the Sinclair QL (which is still a good machine even
    > as an emulator!!) - at least SuperBASIC (as provided on the humble
    > Sinclair QL) allows you to create user defined functions and
    > procedures, which gets away from spaghetti code as it tends to lead to
    > more structured BASIC.

    And the old Kaypros came with S-Basic. But those kinds of things are
    basic in name only. S-Basic was actually more closely related to C. I
    looked at the website of the version the op was talking about, and did
    not see anything (on a cursory look) that made me think it was structured.

    mbstevens, Oct 8, 2006
  8. richard

    richard Guest

    "mbstevens" <> wrote in message
    > richard wrote:
    >> Anyone ever tried writing a program using BASIC to write HTML?
    >> With Liberty Basic able to function while Windows is operating, with a
    >> lot more stuff than the old BASIC, I was thinking that in some cases,
    >> doing so might be interesting.
    >> Since HTML is basically text, one could write a program that would do all
    >> the tags and attributes for you.
    >>

    > Suggest you download a free copy of Perl, Python, or Ruby for that kind of
    > thing:
    > http://www.activestate.com/
    >
    > These languages are better suited for text manipulation, and have a good
    > track record for creating HTML pages on the fly. You will also want a
    > language with regular expressions built in or in modules.
    >
    > Plus, Basic encourages spaghetti code. Any program of reasonable size
    > becomes hard to understand. If you are an absolute beginner I suggest
    > Python.

    Liberty Basic while based on the original, also now includes many functions
    and capabilities not found in the original.
    It is being developed to be compatible with current internet usage and
    computers.

    richard, Oct 8, 2006
  9. richard

    mbstevens Guest

    richard wrote:

    >> Plus, Basic encourages spaghetti code. .....

    > Liberty Basic while based on the original, also now includes many
    > functions and capabilities not found in the original.
    > It is being developed to be compatible with current internet usage and
    > computers.

    Does that mean that it discourages gotos, has objects classes and
    inheritance or at _least_ is a structured language, and that it has
    regular expressions and runs on *Nix as well as Windows and Apple?

    mbstevens, Oct 8, 2006
  10. richard

    Toby Inkster Guest

    richard wrote:

    > Anyone ever tried writing a program using BASIC to write HTML?

    Yep -- I've written CGI using QBASIC before. Indeed it was one of my first
    attempts at CGI. Don't think I still have it anywhere though. :-(

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 9, 2006