Curiousity- why Web Services dont work with firewall

Sumaira Ahmad

Hi,
I have Win XP SP2 installed on a machine..
When I have the inbuilt firewall on, I am not able to connect to the
web services residing in that machine, from another machine. And when
I turn it of , I am able to connect to the Web Service..
Would anyone know why??

Please let me know..
Thanks,
Sumaira

Martin Kulov

Well Sumaira,

That’s what the firewall is intended for. You should open port 80 (or someone else if accessing the service by soap.tcp) to allow incoming requests to your machine.

HTH,
Martin Kulov
www.codeattest.com

Dan Rogers

Hi Sumaria,

I agree with the earlier response. Your firewall is doing it's job. You
can open Port 80 if you want wide open access to your service on your
computer. You may want to do this with some caution, as this will be one
of the first ports hackers start to ping. If you want to limit what
machines can call your service, you can open the port, and then add port
filtering security to the web service itself. Also be sure to add port
filtering to the default web site, and take precautionary measures such as
disabling/deleting the IIS web based admin page.

Regards,

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation