    Regardless - have those pypy folks made a faster implementation, or
    the jython folks? Or the .NET implementation?

    Sam
    samuraisam, Feb 18, 2008

  2. samuraisam wrote:
    > Has anyone done any recent testing as to which current python
    > implementation is the quickest?

    Search for a recent thread on CPython and IronPython.

    > Perhaps for Django development -
    > though the current one certainly is fast (and I doubt micro
    > optimizations would make much difference in overall performance).
    > Regardless - have those pypy folks made a faster implementation, or
    > the jython folks? Or the .NET implementation?

    Depends on your use case. Take your application, do some benchmarking and use
    the implementation that turns out to be a) most reliable and b) the fastest.

    In that order.

    Stefan
    Stefan Behnel, Feb 18, 2008

  3. samuraisam

    Guest

    On Feb 18, 9:37 am, Stefan Behnel <> wrote:
    > samuraisam wrote:
    > > Has anyone done any recent testing as to which current python
    > > implementation is the quickest?

    > Search for a recent thread on CPython and IronPython.
    >
    > > Perhaps for Django development -
    > > though the current one certainly is fast (and I doubt micro
    > > optimizations would make much difference in overall performance).
    > > Regardless - have those pypy folks made a faster implementation, or
    > > the jython folks? Or the .NET implementation?

    > Depends on your use case. Take your application, do some benchmarking and use
    > the implementation that turns out to be a) most reliable and b) the fastest.
    >
    > In that order.
    >
    > Stefan

    PyPy [http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/home.html] is getting
    progressively faster.

    In fact for certain things it can be faster than C [http://
    morepypy.blogspot.com/2008/01/rpython-can-be-faster-than-c.html]!

    However it seems it still has a way to go to be fully operational!
    Still looks like the future to me.
    , Feb 18, 2008
  4. wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 9:37 am, Stefan Behnel <> wrote:
    >> samuraisam wrote:
    >>> Has anyone done any recent testing as to which current python
    >>> implementation is the quickest?

    >> Search for a recent thread on CPython and IronPython.
    >>
    >>> Perhaps for Django development -
    >>> though the current one certainly is fast (and I doubt micro
    >>> optimizations would make much difference in overall performance).
    >>> Regardless - have those pypy folks made a faster implementation, or
    >>> the jython folks? Or the .NET implementation?

    >> Depends on your use case. Take your application, do some benchmarking and use
    >> the implementation that turns out to be a) most reliable and b) the fastest.
    >>
    >> In that order.

    That's very good advice. Basically all four of those Python
    implementations have situations where they are faster than all the
    others. I guess CPython (possibly using Psyco) is still faster in many
    cases, but it really depends on your application.

    > PyPy [http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/home.html] is getting
    > progressively faster.

    This is true – PyPy is slowly getting faster. We have two students
    working explicitly on speed right now: Anto Cuni is doing a phd thesis
    on speeding up PyPy's Python interpreter when compiled to .NET and I am
    doing a Master thesis on improving the JIT of PyPy.

    > In fact for certain things it can be faster than C [http://
    > morepypy.blogspot.com/2008/01/rpython-can-be-faster-than-c.html]!

    This link is misleading, since it is about the speed of RPython when
    translated to C, not normal Python programs. Normal Python programs tend
    to be not RPython, so that figure is hardly interesting.

    > However it seems it still has a way to go to be fully operational!
    > Still looks like the future to me.

    Cheers,

    Carl Friedrich Bolz
    Carl Friedrich Bolz, Feb 20, 2008