    distribution?

    Any good links to source of information. I would like to instill the
    habit of using a decent install process for even the smallest of utilities.

    Paul Watson, Sep 12, 2010

  2. Paul Watson

    John Nagle Guest

    On 9/12/2010 3:40 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
    > Paul Watson<> writes:
    >
    >> What is the currently favored installation process for Python
    >> applications?

    > ‘python ./setup.py install’, using the standard library's Distutils
    > library.
    >
    > Other third-party libraries build on top of that and are generally
    > backward-compatible.
    >
    >> The last time I looked, it was eggs. Is that still true?

    > I don't think eggs were ever the favoured distribution method. They are
    > one *option* provided by Setuptools, but even then a so-called “sdistâ€
    > (source distribution) is the favoured distribution format, installed
    > using the above command.
    >
    >> Any good links to source of information. I would like to instill the
    >> habit of using a decent install process for even the smallest of
    >> utilities.

    > This is a dream shared by many, but Distutils has much improvement to be
    > done yet. Recently — the past couple of years — a lot of progress has
    > been made on this front, and Python 3.x is getting many of the benefits;
    > look up the “Distutils2†efforts for more.

    There's some discussion of a common installer on the Python
    development group, but that's probably the wrong approach. A more
    effective approach would be something that takes a standard "setup.py"
    file and wraps it in a Windows installer file, an RPM file, or whatever
    the platform uses as standard.

    The "eggs" system never worked very well. It made too many
    assumptions about where various things were, and when it guessed
    wrong, you were stuck.

    John Nagle

    John Nagle, Sep 12, 2010

  3. Paul Watson

    Paul Watson Guest

    On 2010-09-12 16:40, Ben Finney wrote:
    > This is a dream shared by many, but Distutils has much improvement to be
    > done yet. Recently — the past couple of years — a lot of progress has
    > been made on this front, and Python 3.x is getting many of the benefits;
    > look up the “Distutils2†efforts for more.

    Many thanks for your comments, Ben. Looks like I should learn distutils
    well.

    I see the distutils2 work going on. I hope it is designed to work with
    Python 2.x. That would help it get some traction in existing packages.

    Most platforms have an installation methodology. Oracle Solaris (yea,
    hard for me to get use to as well) has pkgadd. Microsoft has the .msi
    installer. Do you think it would be possible to create a toolset that
    would produce installation kits in each of these forms? That would make
    the install conform with the standard platform installer. Is this
    worthwhile thinking about?

    Paul Watson, Sep 13, 2010