curses is not imported under Linux (and Python 2.4)

Konrad Koller

import curses
produces the ImportError: No module named _curses
("from _curses import *" in line 15 in __init__.py)
Of course imp.find_module ("_curses") reports the same error.
How can I make use of the curses package for writing a Python script
with curses?

Steve Holden

Konrad said:
import curses
produces the ImportError: No module named _curses
("from _curses import *" in line 15 in __init__.py)
Of course imp.find_module ("_curses") reports the same error.
How can I make use of the curses package for writing a Python script
with curses?

I get the same thing under Windows: _curses is the compiled extension
supporting the curses library, so I must presume that isn't supported by
default on Windows.

No problems under Cygwin or on Linux.

Googling for "python curses windows" might provide a few pointers.

regards
Steve

Craig Ringer

import curses
produces the ImportError: No module named _curses
("from _curses import *" in line 15 in __init__.py)
Of course imp.find_module ("_curses") reports the same error.
How can I make use of the curses package for writing a Python script
with curses?

What Linux distro?
Is the Python version you're running one you compiled, one that shipped
with the distro, or a 3rd party RPM?

At a guess, I'd say you compiled it yourself and you don't have the
ncurses development packages (providing the ncurses header files and
static libs) installed.

Konrad Koller

Thanks for your hint.
What Linux distro? SuSE 9.1
Is the Python version you're running one you compiled, one that shipped
with the distro, or a 3rd party RPM?
compiled with Python-2.4.tar.bz2
At a guess, I'd say you compiled it yourself and you don't have the
ncurses development packages (providing the ncurses header files and
static libs) installed.
see above, but I did not exclude anything, it was a totally normal
run.
I did the same installation of Python2.4 on a different computer with
Fedora2 and found there the _curses.so and _curses_panel.so in
lib-dynload, which I missed in SuSE Linux, although under SuSE the
curses package was present in Lib. I don't understand this strange
behavior between the two installations.
After having the 2 mentioned static libs transfered from the "Fedora
computer" to the the "SuSE computer" the curses worked fine under
SuSE linux

Konrad Koller