curses won't refresh screen

Casey Bralla

For some reason, I can't get curses to refresh the screen. Can someone
offer a suggestion to try to debug this?

Here is my python code snippet:

stdscr=curses.initscr()
curses.noecho()
curses.cbreak()
stdscr.keypad(1)
global screen
screen = stdscr.subwin(23, 79, 0, 0)
screen.border()

while 1 == 1:
screen.addstr(5,5, str(time.localtime()))
screen.refresh()

When run this, the local time is displayed ONCE, and then never changes.
Why isn't the screen.refresh() command refreshing the display?

I'm running a terminal session from within KDE, but I didn't think this
would matter.

Any ideas to suggest?