custamizable interface

paul

I am working on a web application using vb.net.
I need advice on the best way to implement a text change
feature, whereby every bit of text the customer sees will
be fully customisable to suit the different needs of
different customers(each customer could have hundreds of
users).
I realise that is this going to be a fairly resource
heavy procedure and am keen to find an efficient way to
accomplish this.
I have been discussing this with my colleague's and we
have had a few different ideas on how this should be
done.
Firstly, by using the sql database to store the control
id's that require their text changing along with the text
specific to the customer, disadvantages seem to be that
the database will be hit on every page.
Secondly, doing a similar thing using XML to store the
data.
And finally using an application session to store every
customers data.

Has anyone had experience of anything similar.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers Paul