Custom 404 Page and IIS 5.0 Logging

Matt

I notice that when you have the defualt setup of 404 error
pages the IIS 5.0 log tracks the page the user was trying
to get to and the page they where at when they tryed to
get to the now missing page. I recently wrote my own 404
error page to make it match my site but when I set IIS to
use my custom page it no longer traks the page that the
user was trying to get. I was told I needed to add some
code to my page to fix this, but I don't know what code to
add. Can someone tell me? (I am useing ASP on the custom
404 error page)

Ray at

First question - are you returning a 404 response status?

Response.Status = 404

I don't know that that makes the 404s log as 404s in the IIS log, but you
could/should try that first.

Ray at work

Matt

Yes, i am returning a 404 response and that gets the log
to log that there was a 404 error and where it came from
but not what page that the user was trying to get to.

Jeff Cochran

First question - are you returning a 404 response status?

Response.Status = 404

I don't know that that makes the 404s log as 404s in the IIS log, but you
could/should try that first.

I think the issue is that the default 404 page also logs the requested
page, and his custom page does not.

Jeff