Custom 404 page on IIS

Joe

Hello:

I asked my hosting service to setup a custom 404 page for me. They
did, but when purposely calling a non-existing page with XMLHTTP, the
new 404 page returns a 200 / OK status.

They seem to be taking their time trying to fix this, so I wonder if
a custom 404 page that truly returns 404 status is a hard thing to set
up for individual domains hosted on IIS.

I hope my question makes sense to the readers, and thanks in advance.