Custom Authentication

SirPyros

I am implementing some custom authentication for an intranet app I am
building for my company. It is all done and working but I was wondering
if anyone knows if there are any downsides in terms of speed and
scalability in making your own authentication. Obviously if it is badly
coded you will have perfomance issues but if anyone knows of any common
pitfalls or any information they can share on the matter it will be
greatly appreciated.

Shaun Wilde

Can you explain more about your custom authentication?

Do you mean username and password? or something else?

Shaun

SirPyros

its an ihttp module which handles the authenticaterequest event. It's
similar to forms authentication, but I added better role checking, and
the permissions don't have to be in the web.config, I populate a class
with all of my page permissions and load it into application variable.
Then when user tries to go to a page it sees if page is restricted , if
it is it checks if user is authenticated and then checks if the user
belongs to a role that can access this page.

Shaun Wilde

It sounds similar to what we do where I get the users permissions from the
database

and is also similar to the samples presented by IBuySpy and dotnetnuke

we build the permissions and then use the IsInRole method of a class whose
name escapes me at the moment