custom control bindable property

MrB

I've made a server control that overrides the dropdownlist control. It has
one new property (ddlLocation) that needs to be databound. All is working
well if I type the databound information into the asp.net html view. see
example below.

<jb:jbddl id=jbddl_court_id runat="server" Width="152px"
DataValueField="court_id" DataTextField="court" svrReadOnly="False"
DataSource='<%# objCase.getCourts() %>' ddlLocation='<%# objCase("Location")
%>'> </jb:jbddl>

However I would like the user to be able to type the databinding information
(objCase("Location")) for the ddlLocation property into the visual studio
property window - the way the datasource property works. when i do that
though, the control does not resolve the objCase("Location") to a number, it
just receives the string 'objCase("Location")'.

Here is the relevant server control code.

<Category("Data"), Bindable(True)> Public Property ddlLocation() as String

Get
Return strddlLocation
End Get

Set(ByVal Value As String)
strddlLocation = Value
End Set

End Property

What do i need to do to make the ddlLocation property act the way the
datasource property does in the vs property window?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Alessandro Zifiglio

hi jim,
if you looking for a dropdown list with DataValue fields for the selected
dataSource when clicking on your ddlLocation property in the PropertyGrid
then you might want to read this article. The code is c# but you shouldnt
have a problem converting it to vb.net --that articles goes into all the
details.
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/webcontrolsdatabinding.asp

Here is a short explaination you can find on
MSDN --http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgu
ide/html/cpconimplementingdataboundcontroldesingerwebforms.asp