Custom Control - Collection Property

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Synced, Jan 5, 2007.

  1. Synced

    Synced Guest

    Hey gang. I am taking the task of trying to learn how to write custom web
    controls.

    I have started with inheriting from the VS 2005 default which is UserControl.

    I am implementing collection and just basic properties in my control and
    they are compiling and running so far but when I try and view the page in the
    designer I get such things like:

    Error Creating Control
    Type 'System.Web.UI.UserControl' does not have a public property named Columns

    But when I run the page everything is okay. Could someone please describe to
    me why this is occuring?

    Also most examples I see using Collections uses Control or WebControl. Is
    there any disadvantage to using UserControl and does this cripple my use of
    properties in any way? I like the design-time support for the UserControl.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks and take care.
    Synced, Jan 5, 2007