Custom Control Debugging - Design Time!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Gary K, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. Gary K

    Gary K Guest

    Greetings & Salutations,

    I have already scanned the posts for my problem & have found a couple that
    deal with problems that have the exact same symptoms as mine, however the
    solutions do not work for me.

    I am trying to debug a web custom control. (Sorry did I just hear you groan?)

    I am using VS2003 and have setup two projects in the same solution, one
    being the web control library, and the other being an ASP.NET web application
    (for testing of the controls).

    I have added a project reference to the web application for the controls &
    created three controls in the library. One control is fully functional and is
    a simple composite control. One control is still under development but is in
    a 'dormant' state, (ie, it won't do anything, but it is kind enough to
    function like an empty read-only label control), this control is never used
    at this stage.

    The third control is a template control (though it is NOT data bound) and
    because it is pre-alpha I have put the control, template container and
    designer classes all in the one source file. (I don't think it will make a
    difference, but being MS I thought I'd mention it)

    In the solutions mentioned in a couple of posts an MVP has mentioned that
    this project setup should allow me to set breakpoints in my control & debug
    in design time.

    Unfortunately, I can set as many debug breakpoints in the designer class as
    I want and the IDE simply ignores them all. I get the feeling that the IDE
    does not do ANYTHING related to debugging as I cannot even get Debug.Write to
    work (I get absolutely no output anywhere, and I even ended up opening as
    many 'View' windows as I could(Output/CommandWindow/etc)).

    Has someone come up with a workable procedure for custom control design-time
    debugging? Where would I be able to find references to such 'Help' media? Or
    have I made a big booboo somewhere?

    Thank you.
    Gary K, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Tom, Jun 8, 2005

  3. Gary K

    Gary K Guest

    Thank you Tom, works a treat. It's a bit roundabout though isn't it?
    Hopefully things will improve in this area in the next couple of versions.
    Gary K, Jun 10, 2005