custom control that uses a web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Jon Paugh, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. Jon Paugh

    Jon Paugh Guest

    Several of our applications here all have a need for a
    control that will allow users to see a tree view of the
    organizations that are in our company (organizational
    structure). Currently I have created a user control to do
    this. This user control is only in one solution so far and
    it uses a web service (thru a web reference) in this one
    solution to get the data.

    So now I am wondering how to allow multiple applications
    to use this same control. I am thinking about switching to
    using a custom control rather than a user control.

    My questions are:

    1) Do I really want to create a seperate project just for
    my custom control? I have seen this listed as a feature. I
    have some other classes already that are global (used by
    multiple solutions). Why would I put this custom control
    in its own seperate dll instead of within the global
    project I already have?
    2) Do I want to add a web reference to the web service
    inside the custom control's dll? The web service that this
    custom control uses is already referenced thru web
    references in several applications now. What if the box
    that the web service sits on is changed? Yuck! Any tips on
    good ways to manage all the web references. (I suppose if
    other people were consuming this web service outside my
    organization this would be THEIR problem, but we have
    several applications all consuming the same web service).
    I am considering adding a delegate to the custom control
    and then having whoever is using the custom control set
    this delegate? Thoughts, suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Jon Paugh

    Jon Paugh, Nov 18, 2003