custom control that uses a web service

Jon Paugh

Several of our applications here all have a need for a
control that will allow users to see a tree view of the
organizations that are in our company (organizational
structure). Currently I have created a user control to do
this. This user control is only in one solution so far and
it uses a web service (thru a web reference) in this one
solution to get the data.

So now I am wondering how to allow multiple applications
to use this same control. I am thinking about switching to
using a custom control rather than a user control.

My questions are:

1) Do I really want to create a seperate project just for
my custom control? I have seen this listed as a feature. I
have some other classes already that are global (used by
multiple solutions). Why would I put this custom control
in its own seperate dll instead of within the global
project I already have?
2) Do I want to add a web reference to the web service
inside the custom control's dll? The web service that this
custom control uses is already referenced thru web
references in several applications now. What if the box
that the web service sits on is changed? Yuck! Any tips on
good ways to manage all the web references. (I suppose if
other people were consuming this web service outside my
organization this would be THEIR problem, but we have
several applications all consuming the same web service).
I am considering adding a delegate to the custom control
and then having whoever is using the custom control set
this delegate? Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon Paugh