custom control wont work -

kal

I have registered my custom control in web.config as follows:
<add tagPrefix="PhoenixControls" namespace="PhoenixControls"
assembly="PhoenixControls"/>

I have added a file called phoenixcontrols.cs to App_Code folder and in this
file is this simple code:

namespace PhoenixControls

{

public class EncodeHtml : Control {

protected override void Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) {

LiteralControl lc;

lc = (LiteralControl) Controls[0];

writer.Write("This is a test" + lc.Text);

}}}

Including all the 'using' statements

Now I put this in a default.aspx page

<PhoenixControls:EncodeHtml>pc-control</PhoenixControls:EncodeHtml>

i get an error - EncodeHtml element is not known. the page displays but has
none of the custom control changes.

Help appreciated

Kal

Kevin Spencer

Your Control won't compile. It has errors in it. You have inherited Control,
and referenced "Controls[0]" - but there are no Controls in the Control.

You need to get and use some debugging tools and techniques. There are free
ASP.Net tools available from Microsoft. see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

Printing Components, Email Components,
http://www.miradyne.net

Guest

Hi Kal,

<pages>
<controls>
<add assembly="__code" namespace="PhoenixControls"
tagPrefix="PhoenixControls"/>
</controls>
</pages>

hope this helps