Custom E-Mail In Hosted Environment

Fred

Just wondering if anyone out there has implemented their own e-mail in a
hosted environment. I need to provide my clients with full-fledged e-mail
capabilities, and I'm tired of using the provider's flaky e-mail solution.
I'm looking to provide a more tightly integrate e-mail solution with my
ASP.NET Web applications.

Specifically:
1. Is this the sort of thing that hosting providers *generally* frown upon?
Or does custom e-mail fall in the realm of things they generally don't care
about? I haven't even asked my current provider because I'm moving all my
clients away from them.

2. Any recommendations for an ASP.NET e-mail package?

Many Thanks.