Custom error messages when XSD validation fails?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Artie, Apr 21, 2008.

  1. Artie

    Artie Guest

    Hi,

    Is there any way to tell an XSD Schema that you want custom error
    codes for particular validation failures in an XML document?

    To show what I mean, here's an example:

    XSD excerpt

    <xs:element name = "EmployeeID">
    <xs:simpleType>
    <xs:restriction base = "xs:string" >
    <xs:length value = "3"/>
    <xs:pattern value = "[0-9]{3}"/>
    </xs:restriction>
    </xs:simpleType>
    </xs:element>

    XML excerpt

    <EmployeeID>1234</EmployeeID>

    When the XML fails to validate against its XSD element, I want, say,
    error code 1000 to be returned from the validator - can this be done
    easily?

    (I'm thinking along the lines of having an element like
    <xs:customErrorCode = 1000> along side each restriction.)

    Any help very much appreciated

    Artie

    Artie, Apr 21, 2008

  2. Artie wrote:

    > When the XML fails to validate against its XSD element, I want, say,
    > error code 1000 to be returned from the validator - can this be done
    > easily?
    >
    > (I'm thinking along the lines of having an element like
    > <xs:customErrorCode = 1000> along side each restriction.)

    I don't think the schema language has any construct to define custom
    error messages. Nor have I have heard that a particular schema validator
    supports that. You might want to ask on a mailing list or forum or
    newsgroup for the particular schema validator you use or want to use.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Apr 21, 2008