Custom Error Pages

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Umh5czY2Ng==?=, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. OK, an issue I've come across before, but never found a cause for or
    resolution of, has decided to become the bane of my life again with ASP.Net
    Custom Error Pages.

    Basically, my web application is configured to utilise a custom errors page,
    in that unhandled exceptions get passed through and the page redirects
    correctly as per the settings in the web.config file and Global.asax. This
    works in 95% or so of cases, however...

    On occasion, and not in any way I see to be replicable, the custom error
    handling in ASP.Net/IIS falls over and simply ouputs a standardised error
    page stating;

    Runtime Error
    Description An Application error occured on the server. The current custome
    error settings for this application prevent the details of this application
    error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could however be
    viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.
    Details To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable
    on remote machines please create a tag within a "web.config" configuration
    file located in the root directory of the current application. The tag should
    then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".
    Notes The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custome
    error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the applications
    configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

    Does anyone have any idea's of the cause of this, solutions to it, or
    workarounds? Even suggestions would do at this point. As I said the
    application handles pretty much all errors gracefully, redirecting as
    appropriate and outputting the error details, but that 5% or so of cases
    where it doesn't is just baffling.
    I've tried having everything configured for custom error pages in
    Web.Config, in the Application_Error event of the Global.asax and with a
    mixture of the two. I can get all three methodologies working in 95% or so of
    cases, but always I return with this issue that on occassion an application
    error results in that standard error page with the details supplied above.
    It's almost as if the application itself, or the web.config file of the
    application, becomes temporarily unavailable.

    I really would just like to know why this is occuring at this point.

    Rhys

    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
    On my desk I have a workstation...

    Vampireware /n/, a project, capable of sucking the lifeblood out of anyone
    unfortunate enough to be assigned to it, which never actually sees the light
    of day, but nonetheless refuses to die.
    =?Utf-8?B?Umh5czY2Ng==?=, Mar 30, 2005