Custom fonts

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Dec 16, 2011.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Has anyone used a scheme where you use a proprietary font on your
    webpages or in your Applet.

    For a non-proprietary font, you can just ask people to install it. You
    don't even have to embed it in the style sheet or jar. There have been
    some schemes that went pear shaped. Is there anything that works,
    especially that you have used?

    I would think you would need a plugin that checks in with font vendor
    to track hits and decrypts the fonts. The fairest way to pay would be
    for page-hits.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Dec 16, 2011

  2. Roedy Green

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    On 12/16/11 9:07 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > Has anyone used a scheme where you use a proprietary font on your
    > webpages or in your Applet.
    >
    > For a non-proprietary font, you can just ask people to install it. You
    > don't even have to embed it in the style sheet or jar. There have been
    > some schemes that went pear shaped. Is there anything that works,
    > especially that you have used?
    >
    > I would think you would need a plugin that checks in with font vendor
    > to track hits and decrypts the fonts. The fairest way to pay would be
    > for page-hits.

    TypeKit is such a font vendor: https://typekit.com/

    Recently acquired by Adobe.

    Daniel Pitts, Dec 16, 2011

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 09:44:23 -0800, Daniel Pitts
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly
    quoted someone who said :

    >TypeKit is such a font vendor: https://typekit.com/

    This is excellent. I have it working on my site for one page.. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/typekit.html

    It is reasonably priced, and very easy to set up. All you have to do
    is add two lines of JavaScript to the page. I am not a big fan of
    JavaScript, but that is pretty easy compared with what hoops they
    might have made you jump through.

    After that it is just as though everybody had the fonts you signed up
    for pre-installed.

    The thing that makes this work is they serve the fonts. It gets all
    the digital rights stuff out of your hair.

    It does not do applets or applications and they make that explicit.

    Roedy Green, Dec 16, 2011
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 09:07:38 -0800, Roedy Green
    someone who said :

    >Has anyone used a scheme where you use a proprietary font on your
    >webpages or in your Applet.

    I was talking with Fabrizio Schiavo, the Italian font designer, the
    creator of PragmataPro, the best programming font I have discovered.
    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/pragmatapro.html

    He pointed me to FontDeck, another company that rents fonts on a
    yearly basis to use on your websites. You get a million page-hits per
    month in the price. This scheme does not use JavaScript, unlike Adobe
    Typekit
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/typekit.html

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/fontdeck.html

    For understanding of the underlying @font-face mechanism, see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/downloadablefonts.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    If you can't remember the name of some method,
    consider changing it to something you can remember.

    Roedy Green, Dec 20, 2011
  5. On 11-12-20 12:48 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 09:07:38 -0800, Roedy Green
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    >> Has anyone used a scheme where you use a proprietary font on your
    >> webpages or in your Applet.

    > I was talking with Fabrizio Schiavo, the Italian font designer, the
    > creator of PragmataPro, the best programming font I have discovered.
    > see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/pragmatapro.html

    [ SNIP ]

    Obviously subjective. :) I took a look at PragmataPro's website, and it
    does look appealing. However, my current go-to programming font is Envy
    Code R.

    Inconsolata, which is partly based on Consolas (which itself I am happy
    to accept as a programming font default depending on OS and tool), is a
    fixed-width font whose design incorporates special attention to
    printing, not just screen display.

    AHS

    Arved Sandstrom, Dec 20, 2011
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 06:37:59 -0400, Arved Sandstrom
    someone who said :

    >Obviously subjective. :) I took a look at PragmataPro's website, and it
    >does look appealing. However, my current go-to programming font is Envy
    >Code R.

    I have not tried that one. PragmataPro does not appeal aesthetically.
    However, I have found it greatly enhances readability. Normally I
    keep taking my glasses off to get a closer look. I don't have to do
    that with PragmataPro. It has one tiny problem left in Italic where
    the a and o look too much alike which the author said he will fix. He
    has worked hard to make each letter quite distinct.

    Would you be willing to create an Envy code R font and Inconsolata
    sample with http://mindprod.com/applet/fontshower.html
    to show at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/programmerfont.html?

    The author, did Pragmata some years ago and was interested in
    feedback. I was happy to see he incorporated many of my suggestions
    and suggestions from other programmers for PragmataPro.

    For programmer fonts, I think you pretty well have to try them for a
    week. It is not like selecting a display font.

    I was using the IntelliJ default Segoe, but it was a bit too whispy.
    ProgrammataPro is heavier than usual.

    Roedy Green, Dec 20, 2011
  7. On 11-12-20 07:11 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 06:37:59 -0400, Arved Sandstrom
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    >> Obviously subjective. :) I took a look at PragmataPro's website, and it
    >> does look appealing. However, my current go-to programming font is Envy
    >> Code R.

    > I have not tried that one. PragmataPro does not appeal aesthetically.
    > However, I have found it greatly enhances readability.

    That's what I mean by "appealing". I wasn't necessarily talking
    Carolingian illuminated half-uncials. :)

    > Normally I
    > keep taking my glasses off to get a closer look. I don't have to do
    > that with PragmataPro.

    I'm with you on the vision thing, brother. I should have bifocals but
    have stubbornly resisted, so now I've got a driving pair of glasses, a
    work (programming/reading) pair, and an older general-purpose
    (everything but long-distance) pair. I take readability and lighting and
    contrast pretty seriously.

    > It has one tiny problem left in Italic where
    > the a and o look too much alike which the author said he will fix. He
    > has worked hard to make each letter quite distinct.
    >
    > Would you be willing to create an Envy code R font and Inconsolata
    > sample with http://mindprod.com/applet/fontshower.html
    > to show at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/programmerfont.html?

    The first part is easy (nice applet btw; I like the "lookalikes" row).
    The second part not so easy: I get a 404.

    [ SNIP ]

    AHS

    Arved Sandstrom, Dec 21, 2011
  8. Arved Sandstrom <> wrote:
    > On 11-12-20 07:11 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    >> sample with http://mindprod.com/applet/fontshower.html
    >> to show at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/programmerfont.html?

    > The first part is easy (nice applet btw; I like the "lookalikes" row).
    > The second part not so easy: I get a 404.

    If a URL posted by Roedy doesn't work, then it's always worth
    trying varying it a bit grammatically, e.g. putting it to plural,
    and removing punctuation.

    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/programmerfonts.html

    Andreas Leitgeb, Dec 21, 2011
  9. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 20:18:29 -0400, Arved Sandstrom

    try http://mindprod.com/jgloss/programmerfonts.html

    Roedy Green, Dec 22, 2011
  10. Roedy Green

    someone who said :

    >Has anyone used a scheme where you use a proprietary font on your
    >webpages or in your Applet.

    Tiresias is a public domain font for the visually challenged. I have
    set up some webpages with it using the @font-face feature. You can see
    if I got it right by looking at
    http://mindprod.com/carol/carols.html

    I have posted the lyrics to 81 Christmas carols. If all is working,
    you should see them in large Tiresias font.

    If it does not work, you can still install the font manually.
    Unfortunately, I have it in TTF form only and the font is locked so I
    can't convert it to other formats.

    I have yet to uninstall Tiresias and test with all the browsers to see
    which support it. I suspect IE will fail since it want s eot fonts.

    Given that fonts are just data, it should be possible to support all
    fonts everywhere. I don't know why there are so many formats.
    Adobe encrypted PS to start, which forced the creation of TrueType,
    but I don't know why the others were created.

    Roedy Green, Dec 22, 2011
  11. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 21 Dec 2011 09:27:42 GMT, Andreas Leitgeb
    someone who said :

    >If a URL posted by Roedy doesn't work, then it's always worth
    >trying varying it a bit grammatically, e.g. putting it to plural,
    >and removing punctuation.
    >
    >http://mindprod.com/jgloss/programmerfonts.html

    The other way to do it when I screw up is go to the Java glossary and
    look up the name in the index. http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html
    e.g. "programmer(s) font(s)"
    I used to give keywords, but I got too many complaints.
    Some documents are indexed by many different keywords and phrases, so
    I am more likely to hit, with a phrase off the top of my head than a
    precise url.

    Roedy Green, Dec 22, 2011
  12. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 06:55:29 -0800, Roedy Green
    someone who said :

    >If it does not work, you can still install the font manually.

    the advantage then is you can use Tiresias in your own Java apps.

    I have collected free fonts you might want to download and use in own
    apps, IDEs etc.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/freefonts.html

    Roedy Green, Dec 22, 2011