Custom fonts

Roedy Green

Has anyone used a scheme where you use a proprietary font on your
webpages or in your Applet.

For a non-proprietary font, you can just ask people to install it. You
don't even have to embed it in the style sheet or jar. There have been
some schemes that went pear shaped. Is there anything that works,
especially that you have used?

I would think you would need a plugin that checks in with font vendor
to track hits and decrypts the fonts. The fairest way to pay would be
for page-hits.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Daniel Pitts

Has anyone used a scheme where you use a proprietary font on your
webpages or in your Applet.

For a non-proprietary font, you can just ask people to install it. You
don't even have to embed it in the style sheet or jar. There have been
some schemes that went pear shaped. Is there anything that works,
especially that you have used?

I would think you would need a plugin that checks in with font vendor
to track hits and decrypts the fonts. The fairest way to pay would be
for page-hits.

TypeKit is such a font vendor: https://typekit.com/

Recently acquired by Adobe.

Roedy Green

TypeKit is such a font vendor: https://typekit.com/

This is excellent. I have it working on my site for one page.. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/typekit.html

It is reasonably priced, and very easy to set up. All you have to do
is add two lines of JavaScript to the page. I am not a big fan of
JavaScript, but that is pretty easy compared with what hoops they
might have made you jump through.

After that it is just as though everybody had the fonts you signed up
for pre-installed.

The thing that makes this work is they serve the fonts. It gets all
the digital rights stuff out of your hair.

It does not do applets or applications and they make that explicit.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
For me, the appeal of computer programming is that
even though I am quite a klutz,
I can still produce something, in a sense
perfect, because the computer gives me as many
chances as I please to get it right.

Roedy Green

Has anyone used a scheme where you use a proprietary font on your
webpages or in your Applet.

I was talking with Fabrizio Schiavo, the Italian font designer, the
creator of PragmataPro, the best programming font I have discovered.
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/pragmatapro.html

He pointed me to FontDeck, another company that rents fonts on a
yearly basis to use on your websites. You get a million page-hits per
month in the price. This scheme does not use JavaScript, unlike Adobe
Typekit
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/typekit.html

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/fontdeck.html

For understanding of the underlying @font-face mechanism, see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/downloadablefonts.html

Arved Sandstrom

I was talking with Fabrizio Schiavo, the Italian font designer, the
creator of PragmataPro, the best programming font I have discovered.
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/pragmatapro.html
[ SNIP ]

Obviously subjective. :) I took a look at PragmataPro's website, and it
does look appealing. However, my current go-to programming font is Envy
Code R.

Inconsolata, which is partly based on Consolas (which itself I am happy
to accept as a programming font default depending on OS and tool), is a
fixed-width font whose design incorporates special attention to
printing, not just screen display.

AHS

Roedy Green

Obviously subjective. :) I took a look at PragmataPro's website, and it
does look appealing. However, my current go-to programming font is Envy
Code R.

I have not tried that one. PragmataPro does not appeal aesthetically.
However, I have found it greatly enhances readability. Normally I
keep taking my glasses off to get a closer look. I don't have to do
that with PragmataPro. It has one tiny problem left in Italic where
the a and o look too much alike which the author said he will fix. He
has worked hard to make each letter quite distinct.

Would you be willing to create an Envy code R font and Inconsolata
sample with http://mindprod.com/applet/fontshower.html
to show at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/programmerfont.html?

The author, did Pragmata some years ago and was interested in
feedback. I was happy to see he incorporated many of my suggestions
and suggestions from other programmers for PragmataPro.

For programmer fonts, I think you pretty well have to try them for a
week. It is not like selecting a display font.

I was using the IntelliJ default Segoe, but it was a bit too whispy.
ProgrammataPro is heavier than usual.

Arved Sandstrom

I have not tried that one. PragmataPro does not appeal aesthetically.
However, I have found it greatly enhances readability.

That's what I mean by "appealing". I wasn't necessarily talking
Carolingian illuminated half-uncials. :)
Normally I
keep taking my glasses off to get a closer look. I don't have to do
that with PragmataPro.

I'm with you on the vision thing, brother. I should have bifocals but
have stubbornly resisted, so now I've got a driving pair of glasses, a
work (programming/reading) pair, and an older general-purpose
(everything but long-distance) pair. I take readability and lighting and
contrast pretty seriously.
It has one tiny problem left in Italic where
the a and o look too much alike which the author said he will fix. He
has worked hard to make each letter quite distinct.

Would you be willing to create an Envy code R font and Inconsolata
sample with http://mindprod.com/applet/fontshower.html
to show at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/programmerfont.html?

The first part is easy (nice applet btw; I like the "lookalikes" row).
The second part not so easy: I get a 404.

[ SNIP ]

AHS

Roedy Green

Has anyone used a scheme where you use a proprietary font on your
webpages or in your Applet.

Tiresias is a public domain font for the visually challenged. I have
set up some webpages with it using the @font-face feature. You can see
if I got it right by looking at
http://mindprod.com/carol/carols.html

I have posted the lyrics to 81 Christmas carols. If all is working,
you should see them in large Tiresias font.

If it does not work, you can still install the font manually.
Unfortunately, I have it in TTF form only and the font is locked so I
can't convert it to other formats.

I have yet to uninstall Tiresias and test with all the browsers to see
which support it. I suspect IE will fail since it want s eot fonts.

Given that fonts are just data, it should be possible to support all
fonts everywhere. I don't know why there are so many formats.
Adobe encrypted PS to start, which forced the creation of TrueType,
but I don't know why the others were created.

Roedy Green

If a URL posted by Roedy doesn't work, then it's always worth
trying varying it a bit grammatically, e.g. putting it to plural,
and removing punctuation.

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/programmerfonts.html

The other way to do it when I screw up is go to the Java glossary and
look up the name in the index. http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html
e.g. "programmer(s) font(s)"
I used to give keywords, but I got too many complaints.
Some documents are indexed by many different keywords and phrases, so
I am more likely to hit, with a phrase off the top of my head than a
precise url.