Custom Paging - ASP.NET Grid + SQL 2000

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Logu Krishnan, Dec 27, 2006.

  1. in short, the question is "How do i do custom paging in my asp.net grids" in
    SQL 2000.
    if i use default paging and if my db has ~200000 records, then i have to
    select all the 2 lac records then bind to the grid.
    whereas i've to show only 50 rows...

    so if i do custom paging i can implement this in sql2005 using row_number,
    but how would i simulate this in SQL2000

    couple of constraints i have are
    1. The queries are dynamic -
    a. We allow user to create SQL Statements with in application /
    design query using visual designer
    b. we apply security on the sql statements based on user's security,
    so if the does not have access to columnA we remove that from the query and
    execute
    c. so the same QueryA can execute differently for UserA,UserB etc
    d. we also allow multi-level sorting and search in the grids

    this seemed like breeze initially but slowly when i get to this, this seems
    to be a bigger problem than i thought... or am i missing something ?!

    HELP PLEASE :)

    --
    Logu Krishnan

    Logu Krishnan, Dec 27, 2006

  2. Logu Krishnan

    Guest

    Create a temp table with an identity column. Insert all the rows into
    the temp table and select from it.

    Logu Krishnan wrote:
    > in short, the question is "How do i do custom paging in my asp.net grids" in
    > SQL 2000.
    > if i use default paging and if my db has ~200000 records, then i have to
    > select all the 2 lac records then bind to the grid.
    > whereas i've to show only 50 rows...
    >
    > so if i do custom paging i can implement this in sql2005 using row_number,
    > but how would i simulate this in SQL2000
    >
    > couple of constraints i have are
    > 1. The queries are dynamic -
    > a. We allow user to create SQL Statements with in application /
    > design query using visual designer
    > b. we apply security on the sql statements based on user's security,
    > so if the does not have access to columnA we remove that from the query and
    > execute
    > c. so the same QueryA can execute differently for UserA,UserB etc
    > d. we also allow multi-level sorting and search in the grids
    >
    > this seemed like breeze initially but slowly when i get to this, this seems
    > to be a bigger problem than i thought... or am i missing something ?!
    >
    > HELP PLEASE :)
    >
    > --
    > Logu Krishnan

    , Dec 27, 2006

  3. Thanks, but is there another way i could do this ? i don't want to select
    millions of records and store it in a temp table when all i need is 50
    records...

    Logu Krishnan, Dec 27, 2006
  4. Logu Krishnan

    Mike C# Guest