Custom Paging Efficiency

Joseph D. DeJohn

Hello,
I'm trying to implement custom paging. At the moment I can get the
first page to display. When I click on the number 2 it takes forever to
come back to the Page_Load function. I am saving my DataSet in ViewState
with the WriteXML and ReadXML functions. Does anyone have an idea of why it
is taking so long? Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you.

S. Justin Gengo

It would be that you're saving the entire data set in view state. This
means that when you post back the dataset has to be serialized and sent over
the ether twice: Once to the server where it's recreated and then back to
the client again. You'd be better off either saving it in session state (no
serialization required) or just connecting to the database each time using a
datareader.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP