    Sincerely,
    Joseph D. DeJohn
    http://www.geocities.com/cujdd5/
    Joseph D. DeJohn, Aug 6, 2003

  2. It would be that you're saving the entire data set in view state. This
    means that when you post back the dataset has to be serialized and sent over
    the ether twice: Once to the server where it's recreated and then back to
    the client again. You'd be better off either saving it in session state (no
    serialization required) or just connecting to the database each time using a
    datareader.

    Sincerely,

    --
    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer

    Free code library at:
    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzche
    "Joseph D. DeJohn" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I'm trying to implement custom paging. At the moment I can get

    the
    > first page to display. When I click on the number 2 it takes forever to
    > come back to the Page_Load function. I am saving my DataSet in ViewState
    > with the WriteXML and ReadXML functions. Does anyone have an idea of why

    it

    S. Justin Gengo, Aug 6, 2003