Custom paging/sorting using Gridviews

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Roy, May 23, 2006.

  1. Roy

    Roy Guest

    Hey all,

    I must be losing my touch. I have made many pages in the 1.1 framework
    that utilize custom bidirectional paging in datagrids. We've converted
    over to 2.0 and I've been trying to use the built-in functionality of
    gridviews and objectdatasource's to accomplish the same thing (w/o
    resorting to the 1.1 methodology). I discovered two very nice and
    comprehensive articles concerning this:

    Custom Paging in ASP.NET 2.0 with SQL Server 2005:

    Sorting Custom Paged Results:

    ....both of which make no sense to me. As I said, I must be losing my
    touch. What makes it tricky for me is that while we've upgraded to VS
    2005, we're still using SQL Server 2000. Why the two pages are
    confusing is that their examples:
    1.) don't specifically use SQL Server 2000 as a backend
    2.) don't pass in any user-supplied variables to the stored procs (they
    always assume you'll be pulling the whole table)
    3.) adequately explain some properties, such as "typename" (in some
    examples this references a codebehind class...in others it seems to
    reference a SQL Server table)
    4.) have multiple pages broken up so you must surf back and forth to
    get the whole picture

    Does anyone have any working code they can post here (code that uses
    multiple parameters)?
    Or possibly helpful links to better custom paging/sorting resources?

    Roy, May 23, 2006