Custom Perl Scripting

Perl Newbie

I am trying to set up a webpage that uses four frames in a frameset:
the top frame (most important links), the left-hand frame (other
links), the center frame (bloxom post material), and the right-hand
frame (links specifict to which part of my site you are in). I am
trying to figure out if and how I can write a Perl script that would
tell the browser which page to display in the right-hand frame based
on the page being displayed in the center frame. Can someone help me
on this one?

Michael Vilain

Perl Newbie said:
I am trying to set up a webpage that uses four frames in a frameset:
the top frame (most important links), the left-hand frame (other
links), the center frame (bloxom post material), and the right-hand
frame (links specifict to which part of my site you are in). I am
trying to figure out if and how I can write a Perl script that would
tell the browser which page to display in the right-hand frame based
on the page being displayed in the center frame. Can someone help me
on this one?

If I understand your problem, you're describing something that's going
on _in your browser_, not on the server where Perl runs. So, it seems
that unless you control the complete display of all the frames and their
state for each session connected to the server, I don't see a way for
you to do this. I also don't think a web server is really setup this
way--to just be a display device.

I think you need to use Javascript, which runs on the browser and knows
all about what's going on in it. I don't think Javascript can initiate
a request back to the server on it's own, however. For that you need a
program actually running on the client, like a Java applet.

This is really ugly just to get what you want, but I can't think of
another way to do it. You might try posing this question in javascript
and java groups.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Perl said:
I am trying to set up a webpage that uses four frames in a
frameset: the top frame (most important links), the left-hand frame
(other links), the center frame (bloxom post material), and the
right-hand frame (links specifict to which part of my site you are
in). I am trying to figure out if and how I can write a Perl
script that would tell the browser which page to display in the
right-hand frame based on the page being displayed in the center
frame.

If the frameset document is generated by a CGI script written in Perl,
you can apply whichever rules you like for composing it.

What's the problem?

Tintin

Perl Newbie said:
I am trying to set up a webpage that uses four frames in a frameset:
the top frame (most important links), the left-hand frame (other
links), the center frame (bloxom post material), and the right-hand
frame (links specifict to which part of my site you are in). I am
trying to figure out if and how I can write a Perl script that would
tell the browser which page to display in the right-hand frame based
on the page being displayed in the center frame. Can someone help me
on this one?

The Perl answer to your question is to use the print function.

Seriously, you need to breakdown the problem into the various components and
work out which part is responsible for doing what you need.

Joe Smith

Perl said:
how I can write a Perl script that would
tell the browser which page to display in the right-hand frame based
on the page being displayed in the center frame.

That's something you can do with static HTML and JavaScript.
Perl is not necessary do to that.
-Joe

Sherm Pendley

Perl said:
How doest the print function work?

You're joking, right? It works like the docs say it works. Read them
yourself - just enter:

perldoc -f print

at a command prompt.

sherm--

Jürgen Exner

[Fullquote intended]
Perl said:

How wht? How to do custom Perl scripting?
Simple, just write your custom program in Perl and you have custom Perl
scripting.

jue

Jürgen Exner

Perl Newbie wrote:
[...]
trying to figure out if and how I can write a Perl script that would
tell the browser which page to display in the right-hand [...]

You are barking at the wrong tree.
"Browsers" typically interpret HTML code, they are blissfully ignorant of
any Perl script.
Therefore there is no way a Perl script could "tell" a browser to do
something.

Now, if you are talking about PerlScript then you got a case, but this is so
rarely used that it is pretty safe to assume, you are not. Otherwise you
would have mentioned it, I am sure.

jue

Alan J. Flavell

By using Javascript functions to load two URLs on a single click.
Go buy a beginner's book on Javascript for examples.

And then buy an advanced javascript book to learn that not everyone
consents to execute server-supplied javascripts, and to learn how to
cope with the consequences.

Sometimes a little knowledge is a risky thing.

(I'm not sure what relevance this has to Perl, though. Which is
perhaps the key point you were trying to make.)