    tell the browser which page to display in the right-hand frame based
    on the page being displayed in the center frame. Can someone help me
    on this one?

    Perl Newbie, Oct 2, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    "Perl Newbie" <> wrote:

    > I am trying to set up a webpage that uses four frames in a frameset:
    > the top frame (most important links), the left-hand frame (other
    > links), the center frame (bloxom post material), and the right-hand
    > frame (links specifict to which part of my site you are in). I am
    > trying to figure out if and how I can write a Perl script that would
    > tell the browser which page to display in the right-hand frame based
    > on the page being displayed in the center frame. Can someone help me
    > on this one?

    If I understand your problem, you're describing something that's going
    on _in your browser_, not on the server where Perl runs. So, it seems
    that unless you control the complete display of all the frames and their
    state for each session connected to the server, I don't see a way for
    you to do this. I also don't think a web server is really setup this
    way--to just be a display device.

    I think you need to use Javascript, which runs on the browser and knows
    all about what's going on in it. I don't think Javascript can initiate
    a request back to the server on it's own, however. For that you need a
    program actually running on the client, like a Java applet.

    This is really ugly just to get what you want, but I can't think of
    another way to do it. You might try posing this question in javascript
    and java groups.

    Michael Vilain, Oct 2, 2004

  3. Perl Newbie wrote:
    > I am trying to set up a webpage that uses four frames in a
    > frameset: the top frame (most important links), the left-hand frame
    > (other links), the center frame (bloxom post material), and the
    > right-hand frame (links specifict to which part of my site you are
    > in). I am trying to figure out if and how I can write a Perl
    > script that would tell the browser which page to display in the
    > right-hand frame based on the page being displayed in the center
    > frame.

    If the frameset document is generated by a CGI script written in Perl,
    you can apply whichever rules you like for composing it.

    What's the problem?

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Oct 2, 2004
  4. Perl Newbie

    Tintin Guest

    "Perl Newbie" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to set up a webpage that uses four frames in a frameset:
    > the top frame (most important links), the left-hand frame (other
    > links), the center frame (bloxom post material), and the right-hand
    > frame (links specifict to which part of my site you are in). I am
    > trying to figure out if and how I can write a Perl script that would
    > tell the browser which page to display in the right-hand frame based
    > on the page being displayed in the center frame. Can someone help me
    > on this one?

    The Perl answer to your question is to use the print function.

    Seriously, you need to breakdown the problem into the various components and
    work out which part is responsible for doing what you need.

    Tintin, Oct 3, 2004
  5. Perl Newbie

    Joe Smith Guest

    Perl Newbie wrote:

    > how I can write a Perl script that would
    > tell the browser which page to display in the right-hand frame based
    > on the page being displayed in the center frame.

    That's something you can do with static HTML and JavaScript.
    Perl is not necessary do to that.
    -Joe

    Joe Smith, Oct 3, 2004
  6. Perl Newbie

    Perl Newbie Guest

    Thanks, I'll look in to Java-based opportunites for my difficulty.

    Perl Newbie, Oct 3, 2004
  7. Perl Newbie

    Perl Newbie Guest

    How?

    Perl Newbie, Oct 3, 2004
  8. Perl Newbie

    Perl Newbie Guest

    How doest the print function work?

    Perl Newbie, Oct 3, 2004
  9. Perl Newbie wrote:

    > How doest the print function work?

    You're joking, right? It works like the docs say it works. Read them
    yourself - just enter:

    perldoc -f print

    at a command prompt.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Oct 3, 2004
  10. [Fullquote intended]
    Perl Newbie wrote:
    > How?

    How wht? How to do custom Perl scripting?
    Simple, just write your custom program in Perl and you have custom Perl
    scripting.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Oct 3, 2004
  11. Perl Newbie <> wrote:

    > How doest the print function work?

    It works pretty well.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Oct 3, 2004
  12. Perl Newbie wrote:
    [...]
    > trying to figure out if and how I can write a Perl script that would
    > tell the browser which page to display in the right-hand [...]

    You are barking at the wrong tree.
    "Browsers" typically interpret HTML code, they are blissfully ignorant of
    any Perl script.
    Therefore there is no way a Perl script could "tell" a browser to do
    something.

    Now, if you are talking about PerlScript then you got a case, but this is so
    rarely used that it is pretty safe to assume, you are not. Otherwise you
    would have mentioned it, I am sure.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Oct 3, 2004
  13. Perl Newbie

    Joe Smith Guest

    Perl Newbie wrote:

    > How?

    By using Javascript functions to load two URLs on a single click.
    Go buy a beginner's book on Javascript for examples.
    -Joe

    Joe Smith, Oct 3, 2004
  14. On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Joe Smith wrote:

    > Perl Newbie wrote:
    >
    > > How?

    > By using Javascript functions to load two URLs on a single click.
    > Go buy a beginner's book on Javascript for examples.

    And then buy an advanced javascript book to learn that not everyone
    consents to execute server-supplied javascripts, and to learn how to
    cope with the consequences.

    Sometimes a little knowledge is a risky thing.

    (I'm not sure what relevance this has to Perl, though. Which is
    perhaps the key point you were trying to make.)

    Alan J. Flavell, Oct 3, 2004